Linksys WCG200 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router Reviews

Very poor technical service

Aug 20, 2006
  • User Rating: OK

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:ease of use, convenient

Cons:lousy technical service

The Bottom Line: A decent product in terms of price/performance. The technical service does not live up to my expectations

The modem is OK. Fairly easy to configure through the web based interface. We bought it to avoid having the two separate boxes for the modem and router.

The wireless connection works fine. We have WEP security, which you have to set up. But the configuration is as you would expect from this type of device.

9 months after installing this modem, I have started having problem with by cable internet service. The connection is frequently lost -lately once every hour of so- and it only recovers after manually powering the modem on and off. As usual in this case, the cable company sends me to LinkSys, and LinkSys says it is the cable company's fault.

But the service people from LinkSys have shown to be utterly unprepared. The first one told me to get a firmware upgrade from my cable company -strange. The cable company told me that they don't do firmware upgrades. The Linksys web site do not publish new firmware for this device

So, here I go again to call LinkSys. The lady asked me if I had a telephone line connected -this is a cable modem. She took me through the routine of restarting the modem, and when I confirmed that it was working properly, she claimed the problem was fixed.

I had to convince her that the problem is the frequent disconnections. Still, she could only tell me that the problem is the cable company.

Driver Availability: Other

POWER SUPPLY AC-DC 12V 1A for Linksys WCG200 Wireless-G Cable Modem Gateway w/ Built-In Wireless-G Router v1, v2 8FT Long Cord Product Features Power:...
POWER SUPPLY AC-DC 12V 1A for Linksys WCG200-CA Wireless-G Cable Modem Gateway w/ Built-In Wireless-G Router 8FT Long Cord Product Features Power: DC ...