Linksys WCG200 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router Reviews

Linksys Integration Failed

Nov 27, 2006
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Relatively Inexpensive, Eliminates Wire Clutter

Cons:Dropouts, Stalls, Loses Settings, Difficult to Configure Wireless Security, Cannot Return for Refund

The Bottom Line: Do not recommend purchasing WCG200 or Linksys; reliability questionable and no firmware or support options available other than simple exchange. Recommend separate cable modem and wireless router instead, preferably non-Linksys.

I purchased this product one year ago. Since that time I've experienced adequate performance from the WCG200 with a 5Mbps connection from Time-Warner Cable in North Carolina but there is still some significant downside to this product.

First, the WCG200 experiences intermittent stalls and dropouts that do not appear in its log, such as when the unit spontaneously resets itself or the connection suddenly halts, typically when I'm streaming video or downloading a large file. I believe some of the dropout is due to Time Warner Cable ("Roadrunner") in my area of North Carolina, but they've never admitted that, and my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I just received a replacement from Newegg (can't refund, only replace) and this unit just reset when downloading a large file. It would not self-recover, either, until after I had turned the unit off then back on.

Second, if the power is out (I'm not talking about the switch on the WCG200 being in the off position, but the cord yanked out from the wall or a power outage occurring) for more than five minutes, some of my programmed settings for my secure network change and I can no longer connect. My SSID and "infrastructure" settings remain, but something else involving my WEP configuration is lost and I have to hard reset (paper clip) my WCG200 to reconfigure it. It has happened three times this year when lightning storms rolled through and I had unplugged the modem from the wall.

Third, when you're working in the integrated web browser and you want to make your network secure, the SAVE button does not work across all pages you are editing -- you have to SAVE, reconfigure your Windows network settings and then get back into the WCG200's web browser to configure the next items. They should have made the SAVE button work across all web pages or at least have all settings configured on one page -- lame.

Please be careful purchasing this product for a Toshiba laptop and if you're connecting to TWC in North Carolina.

Driver Availability: Other

POWER SUPPLY AC-DC 12V 1A for Linksys WCG200 Wireless-G Cable Modem Gateway w/ Built-In Wireless-G Router v1, v2 8FT Long Cord Product Features Power:...

Power: DC 12V 1A Adapter Rating input: 100V~ 240V Line frequency: 50Hz/60HzOur adapters manufactured with the highest quality materials and include la...