Linksys WUSB54GSC-EU (5051964014638) Wireless Adapter Reviews

Linksys WUSB54GSC-EU (5051964014638) Wireless Adapter

Works great...most of the time

Feb 7, 2008 (Updated Feb 7, 2008)

Pros:Easily goes from one computer to another, USB extension cord is convenient

Cons:Frequently disconnects for no reason

The Bottom Line: If this is the only option, I think it works well enough. But if you have another way to connect wirelessly, do it and avoid the Linksys adapter!

We purchased a Linksys wireless adapter when we moved to this apartment 6 months ago. It has been our first experience with wireless internet, as prior to this we've always had dial-up. We chose the Linksys adapter over a regular ethernet card because we wanted something we could use from both our laptop and our desktop computer. For that purpose, the adapter has been wonderful. It comes with a USB extension cord that we leave hooked into the desktop tower so we don't have to crawl back behind it to plug it in every time- we just hook it up to the extension cord that is on top of the desk. However, it doesn't seem to matter where it's plugged in, the adapter seems to just stop working for no apparent reason on a somewhat regular basis. We can still connect to our internet from our laptop through the direct cable, but just not with the wireless adapter. Occasionally it'll reconnect on it's own after a short time, but it seems that we usually have to restart the entire computer to attempt to reconnect the adapter. We've received technical support regarding this issue and changed certain settings in hopes of preventing it from happening, but there seems to be no apparent cause for it to be disconnecting.

While the Linksys wireless adapter was really the only option for us to get wireless internet on BOTH computers, if there were any way we could avoid using it I'm pretty sure we would. It's just too much of a hassle to have it disconnect unexpectedly and have to shut everything down in hopes of restarting it.

COMPACT WIRELESS-G USB ADAPTER EASY TO CONNNECT DESKTOP OR NOTEBOOK TO HIGH SPEED WIRELESS NETWORK ITEM IS NEW IN ORIGINAL PACKAGE FREE SHIPPING