Linksys WUSB54GSC-EU (5051964014638) Wireless Adapter Reviews

Linksys WUSB54GSC-EU (5051964014638) Wireless Adapter

Small, Lightweight, Affordable, Great Performance, in other words, a Keeper

Jun 14, 2009

Pros:Small; easy installation; conforms to the 802.11g standard; USB connection; great software interface.

Cons:N/a

The Bottom Line:

There is something amiss with the (Broadcom) wireless Network Interface Cards (NIC's) Hewlett Packard (HP) is using in its Notebook products.  I have had two simply stop working after the notebook reached about two years of age.  The latest is in my Pavillion dv9000; the adapter has been working on and off for the last week.  I use my laptop daily so being to connect to my home network is a must.

So, unable to nail down the immediate issue, I began my search for a replacement Wireless NIC and settled on the Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GC.

A Wireless World

Wireless-G is now the standard in wireless networking technology, but even as I type 801.11n is waiting in the wings to become the new top dog.  The 801.11n specification-now in draft-promises wireless equipment with speeds as high as 150Mbps.  Some manufactures-Linksys, Belkin and Zyzell, to name a few-are already offering the equipment, before the specifications reach final release hopefully in the summer of this year.

Wireless-G Wireless Access Point's (WAP's), and Network Interface Cards (NIC's) are capable of transmitting and receiving data at speeds of up to 54Mbps, almost five times faster than the fast fading, but still widely deployed Wireless-B (802.11b) products found in homes, businesses, and public wireless hotspots around the country.  Wireless-G devices can utilize either the 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz frequency band, and some can utilize both bands.

Those Wireless-G devices that share the 2.4GHz radio band, can also work with existing 11Mbps Wireless-B equipment, while those which utilize the 5.0 GHz band will interoperate only with Wireless-G (802.11a, 54Mbps) equipment.  Dual-band Wireless-G equipment are capable of interoperating with all three protocols; i.e. 802.11a (54Mbps), 802.11b (11 Mbps), and 802.11g (11Mbps & 54Mbps).
In The Box

•o   WUSB54GC with Range Boost
•o   Quick Start Guide
•o   Installation Disk
•o   Users Guide

The all black WUSB54GC looks a lot like a typical USB flash drive and measure in at 1.1 x 3.86 x 0.43 inches.  Linksys wisely thought to include a cap to fit over the USB (male) connector, and that coupled with its small size, makes easy to slip the WUSB54GC into an available pocket or laptop case.

The Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GC operates at a frequency of 2.4 GHz, and supports the following wireless protocols:  802.11b and 802.11g.  The small WUSB54GC can transmit and receive networking traffic in a range of 1 - 54Mbps, utilizing one small antenna.  The "Range Boost" happens when mated with a WAP with the same technology and is supposed to extend the range of the adapter up to 2 times and its throughput up to 35%.

But that is not why I chose it; besides the Windows Vista drivers, I choose the WUSB54GC for three reasons: 1. The card operates at a frequency of 2.4 GHz the same frequency band I currently use for my wireless communications, and at this frequency the wireless card does not interfere with my wireless phones; 2. The Linksys name is one I have come to trust for reliability and cutting edge technology; 3. The Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54C is USB Ver. 2.0 Compliant.

Installation

The installation of the WUSB54GC under Windows XP or Windows Vista is a very straight forward process: install the software first, and then plug the NIC into an available USB port.  Both versions of Windows are designed-once a wireless device is installed-to seek out available wireless networks and configure the card accordingly; i.e. assign it an IP address, if DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is used on the network.  Once fully configured the WUSB54GC was able to connect at a full 54Mbps.

First Impressions:

I am very happy with the performance of this Wireless-G adapter.  The small lightweight size makes it ideal for transport and ease of install.  The small footprint drivers work well; i.e. they integrate with Windows Vista without issue.  The NIC tool less than five minutes to set up, and the adapter remains stable after continual use.

Connection signal-strength to the upstairs WAP is excellent and throughput remains a steady 54Mbps.  I couldn't ask for more.

Conclusion

The Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GC receives an A from me.  I give the card high marks for ease of installation, configuration, and throughput.  And I give the Vista utility much love for its functionality; i.e. ability to sot our nearby wireless networks.  If you are looking for a good Windows Vista compliant Wireless-G network adapter you definitely want to give the Wireless-G WUSB54GC a look; for the price ($49.99 at my local Office Max), it's a clear winner.

COMPACT WIRELESS-G USB ADAPTER EASY TO CONNNECT DESKTOP OR NOTEBOOK TO HIGH SPEED WIRELESS NETWORK ITEM IS NEW IN ORIGINAL PACKAGE FREE SHIPPING