Linksys EtherFast® LNE100TX (745883549382) Network Adapter Reviews

Linksys EtherFast® LNE100TX (745883549382) Network Adapter

An Affordable Alternative to My Preferred Network Adapter

Dec 6, 2009

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Small, auto-sensing, full duplex, 10/100Mbps operations.

Cons:None so far.

The Bottom Line:

If you need an affordable, reliable, easy-to-install and configure 32-Bit NIC look no further than the Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card.

For the past few months the unthinkable has been happening, my Intel Pro 100/1000Gbps desktop-class Network Interface Card (NIC) had been failing.  I didn't want to believe it, but the last few days it has been none too obvious.

The problem: every time I restarted the (file) server the NIC was installed in, the adapter flapped, that is the link was dropping for long seconds, then come back for a minute, then dropping the link again.

The only way to resolve the issue was to turn the server off, unplug the RJ-45 cable from the NIC, turn the server back on, log into Windows, then plug the RJ-45 cable back into the NIC.  After this procedure the NIC would stabilize.  By not following the procedure the server would hang at "Applying Security Settings."

I played this game for the last three months until I finally grew tired of the drill.  I caved in and slid my (spare) Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card into the PCI slot.  Problem solved!

The 411

The LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card is a high performance NIC designed for desktop computers with 32-bit PCI expansion slots. Right out of the box, the LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card is ready to run on both 10BaseT and 100BaseTX networks.  The 10/100Mbps NIC can automatically detect your networks maximum speed and adjusts itself to the appropriate speed.

The LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card also features Wake-On-LAN (WOL) a feature that allows you to remotely turn on the computer.

The NIC is equipped with two LED's; Amber to denote a network connection speed of 100Mbps, and; green (Link/Activity) to signal that the card has been connected to a network.  The light will flicker when data is being transmitted and received over the network.  The RJ-45 can accept a Category 3, or 5, network cable.

First Impressions

I am very pleased with my new Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card.  I installed the NIC in a Dell tower computer with Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition.  After the NIC was detected Windows 2008 installed the appropriate drivers; afterwards the LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card was ready to use at full 100Mbps Duplex; that is 200Mbps.

Conclusion

Since installing the LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card all has been well with the servers' network connectivity.  Though I have always installed Intel NIC's in my server platforms, the Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card has proven itself a worthy "stopgap" replacement and one I might just keep in place over the long haul.

Product Features

Affordable; Auto-sensing 10/100 switched port with auto MDI/MDI-X crossover detection; Standards: 1EEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u; Ports: 10BaseT/100BaseTX RJ-45; Full Duplex: 20Mbps or 200Mbps; Half-Duplex: 10Mbps or 100Mbps; Wake-On-LAN (WOL) functionality; Standard 32-Bit PCI Slot size; Address Learning and Aging, and Data Flow Control for enhanced transmission reliability.

Driver Availability: Windows only

SquareTrade AP6.0 This Linksys LNE100TX Etherfast 10/100 LAN Card is new and sealed in the manufacturer original retail box. Linksys LNE100TX Etherfas...

Linksys ether fast LAN Card LNE100TX New Sealed/Unopened package