Linksys WMP54G (745883555031) PCI Adapter Reviews

Linksys WMP54G (745883555031) PCI Adapter

3 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Plug Play Forget - The other reviews make me go "huh"?

Oct 29, 2008

Pros:No-brainer installation, flawless operation.

Cons:None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

The Bottom Line: Buy, install and forget.

My wife bought the Linksys WMP54G wireless adapter and it went into my son's Dell running Windows XP, which is five years old or so. Linksys says it has  a rangemark of 1x and a speedmark of 1x on the box, meaning this is a run-of-the-mill product for them, nothing fancy. You need a 500mhz processor, 128mb of RAM, a PCI slot, a CD-ROM drive and Windows 2K or XP(SP1), minimum.

I plugged and ran the CD-ROM setup wizard, it played, and we were connected the moment I provided XP with the correct WEP key for our router (yes, I know that WEP is worthless, but our Ativa router theoretically supports the better standard and in practice I can't make it work). Installation and setup time was way under 10 minutes. My four year old can now play Funkeys and surf the web and what-have-you.

There is no monitor program bothering us, and the router is on the second floor at least 50 feet away through floor joists and several walls. I simply have no idea what other users are complaining about.

Connection speed and reliability seems more than adequate, and the black antenna that attaches to the card seems perfectly sturdy. The card itself is completely miniaturized to the point where no components are visible ... everything is sheathed in the manner of a PCMCIA card.

Linksys and Cisco have created a winner here. If you can find a better card, buy it.

Unused in original box

Linksys Model WMP54G v4 Wireless - G (802.11g) PCI Network Adapter New Adapter In Open Retail Box Package Includes: Wireless - G PCI Adapter Detachabl...
Please accept our apologies but due to our high volume of communication we may be unable to respond to best offers on time. First priority will be giv...