-17%

Linksys WMP600N (745883573196) PCI Adapter

+$2.99 shipping PCM
MacMall
Free Shipping Linksys Official Store

Excellent wireless performance, even in rough conditions

Dec 24, 2009

Pros:Excellent wireless performance. Stable drivers. Feels as fast as a wired Ethernet connection.

Cons:Costs more than other dual-band WiFi "N" cards. The extra performance is worth it, though.

The Bottom Line:

Take advantage of the faster speeds that WiFi "N" offers.  Dual-band capability offers an escape from wireless interference.

I bought this card for a new desktop computer that is located in a bedroom far away from our router.  The new computer came with Windows 7 pre-loaded.  Installation went without a hitch.  All I had to do was install the card in an empty slot inside the machine.  Windows 7 already contained the drivers and automatically configured the card.  All I had to do was choose my network and enter my passphrase.  I was up and running in about 10 minutes.

The reason why I chose this card is because it is capable of operating on both, the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands. Dual-band "N" gear will automatically choose the band with the least amount of interference.  Dual-band "N" gear is a good way to escape the interference that cordless phones, microwave ovens and other Wireless "G" and "B" networks sometimes create.  You have to make sure that both, your WiFi card and WiFi router are dual-band capable to take advantage of the dual-band feature.  If the equipment does not say dual-band, then it will only operate on the 2.4GHz band.  I also chose Linksys because the company has a good reputation.

This card has two external antennas with SMC connectors that screw onto the card.  You just screw that antennas in and make sure they are facing UP.  If needed, you can replace them with a higher-gain antenna or beam antenna.

Our router is a Super "G" unit located in a corner of our basement.  The PC is in a bedroom on the second floor.  Amazingly, through two floors we get solid 54 Mbps connections without any drops or reductions in speed.  We stream our Slingbox at 8 Mbps for hours with no problems.  The card is stable and provides connections that feel just as fast as a wired one.  Compatibility with my older "G" router is not a problem.

Eventually, we will replace this router with a dual-band router so we can enjoy faster connections and dual-band capability that dual-band "N" offers.

I recommend this card to anyone who wants to take advantage of the extra speeds that WiFi "N" offers and wants to use it's dual-band capability to escape wireless interference.

Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP600N - Network adapter - PCI - 802.11b 802.11a 802.11g 802.11n (draft)
PCM

Linksys WMP600N WiFi Wireless PCI Adapter 802.11n. Flexible PowerWireless-N technology uses multiple radios per band to create robust signals for grea...
Linksys Official Store
The Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual-Band adds wireless connectivity to your desktop computer. Install it into an available slot in your computer and...
MacMall
Linksys WMP600N Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual Band Connect the Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual Band from Linksys to an available PCI slot on your ...
Adorama
Linksys WMP600N Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual-Band
Shop for Electrical at The Home Depot. WMP600N Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual-Band adds wireless connectivity to your desktop computer. Install it i...
Home Depot
Linksys Wireless-N for desktop computers with more range, more speed, and reduced dead spots. Operates in the 2.4 and 5GHz radio bands to avoid conges...