Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 - Double-Stick Fusible Web Reviews

Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 - Double-Stick Fusible Web

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Double-Stick Fusible Web -- Easy to Use!

Oct 18, 2008 (Updated Oct 18, 2008)

Pros:easy to use, double-sided stick that finger presses in place, bonds when ironed

Cons:the sheets are not squared

The Bottom Line: Lite Steam-A-Seam worked great for me.  I have included detailed instructions for using this product in my review.

I took a quilting workshop that featured a technique that heavily used fusible web. Being a novice in the area of using fusible web, I wasn't sure what to purchase. Then a long-time quilting friend, who is brilliant at fusible sewing projects, strongly recommended Lite Steam-A-Seam 2. And I'm glad she did!

Description

Five sheets of this fusible web come in a plastic re-sealable bag. Each sheet measures 9" x 12". This fusible web is somewhat similar to double-sided tape (sticky on both sides). The fusible web is sandwiched between two sheets of white paper. I'll explain how to use it later.

Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 is designed for use with lightweight and sheer fabrics. It temporarily sticks to fabric pieces so that they can be repositioned. Ironing the fused fabric pieces permanently anchors them in place.

The package states that this fusible web can be used for applique, quilting, crafts, home-decorating projects, seams, hems and ribbon embellishments. Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 can be stuck to fabric, paper, cardboard and wood.

The product is made in the USA by The Warm Company.

My Experiences

The workshop I took involved making a wall hanging of a village. I chose my 100% cotton fabrics with care. Mine is a colorful village featuring classic geometric shapes combined with 21st Century color. Using fusible web on the cotton fabrics, we attached our geometric elements directly to 100% cotton batting.

This Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 is easy to use. If you are cutting different small pieces of fabric, then you will want to cut the 9" x 12" fusible sheet into smaller pieces to bind to the fabric. If you are cutting larger designs, then fuse a single piece of fabric to the entire fusible sheet.

The wonderful thing about Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 is that you don't need to use an iron until the final step. This makes it great to reposition the fabrics as you arrange your design.

Take a piece of fabric and turn it so that the wrong side of the fabric is facing up. From the fusible web, remove one of the white papers that is sandwiching the web. You may have to bend a corner of the sheet to separate the three layers a bit in order to grab one of the white sheets. Removing one sheet reveals one side of the fusible web. Place the web against the wrong side of the fabric. Firmly finger press the fusible web against the fabric.

When you are ready to attach this piece of fabric to another piece of fabric (or in my case, to the batting foundation), remove the remaining white sheet of paper. This reveals the other sticky side of the fusible web. The fusible web is not super-sticky to the touch. You may not think it is working since the fusible web barely sticks to the fingers. However, it posses enough "stick" to adhere well to fabric. Plus, the piece with fusible web attached to it can be repositioned a number of times.

I found it simple to use this fusible web. In my case, I had to cut large fabric squares and rectangles from different fabrics and attach a piece of this fusible web to each piece. No ironing. Just finger press the fusible web to the fabric. During our workshop, we cut our fabric squares and rectangles into smaller pieces. It was easy to attach these pieces to the batting and other fabrics just by finger pressing the pieces in place. I repositioned large and very small pieces several times while creating my project.

Hours later, after my village wall hanging was the way I wished it, I used a dry iron to permanently set the bits of fabric in place. I repeatedly held the dry iron in place for ten seconds each time. I did not drag the iron across the fabric in an ironing motion. I set the iron flat down, counted for ten seconds, lifted the iron and set it down on the next area and repeated the process as many times as necessary.

I emphasize using a dry iron (no steam). The package instructions say that you can press either with or without steam. Previous to my taking this workshop, a fellow quilter cautioned me not to buy Lite Steam-A-Seam 2. She found that when she ironed her fabrics, they all wrinkled. I firmly believed it was because she used the steam setting on her iron. When pressing the fusible webbed fabrics to the batting foundation, she inadvertently shrunk the batting, which wrinkled all her fabric. I have had no trouble with wrinkling fabrics, and I'm sure it's because I use a dry iron with no steam. (In case you are wondering, I always wash and dry all my fabric before using it.)

The wall hanging is finished by placing a piece of fine tulle over the completed wall hanging. I machine quilted through all the layers of the wall hanging, and had no problem. The instructions say projects can be washed, and dry on low heat. Do not use fabric dryer sheets.

Only one thing irked me about this product. The 9" x 12" sheets are not perfect rectangles. The sides are crooked. In order to stick this product to my squares and rectangles of fabrics, I had to trim the sheets for squared edges. It was annoying to waste even a bit of this fusible web. Also, make sure you don't bend or fold the sheets. I did this with one package, and the fold became permanent, making the product more difficult to use.

Purchasing

I have bought Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 both online and at my local JoAnn Fabric Store. This product retails for $3.99 a package (of 5 sheets, each measuring 9" x 12"). I had a JoAnn coupon that gave me half off the regular price the second time I purchased the fusible web.

If you use fusible web in bulk, then you might want to consider purchasing a roll of Lite Steam-A-Seam 2. A roll measuring 12-inches x 25-yards retails for $117.25.

Summary

I will be purchasing more Lite Steam-A-Seam 2. This product works great for me. I am delighted with how my wall hanging turned out. I'm very glad my friend recommended this product to me.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Keepsake Quilting Store