Little Noses Saline Spray/Drops (107863) Reviews

Little Noses Saline Spray/Drops (107863)

+$5.05 shipping Target

How to Help A Stuffy Infant

Nov 17, 2010

Pros:Non-medicated remedy, gentle for newborns, they work

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: This product really works to help stuffed up babies breathe better.

My granddaughter Evie is only five weeks old and she has her first cold.  She isn't real sick, but at her check up her pediatrician suggested we use saline drops to help her breathe easier.  The only time she struggles is when she is nursing and can't breathe out of her mouth.

The Dr. said there are several different brands, and it really didn't matter which ones we bought, they all worked the same.  There is a CVS Pharmacy right across from the clinic, and the only brand of saline drops for infants that they had in stock were the Little Noses, a product made by Little Remedies.

We have been using Little Tummys anti-gas drops, and it is the only brand that my granddaughter will take willingly, so we felt good about the Little Remedies brand.  The 1/2 ounce bottle retailed for $8.79.

Little Noses states that it is "Pediatrician Recommended", and that it provides non-medicated relief for stuffy noses.  This was perfect, as I don't like giving medicine to a young baby.  The products claims (taken from the box) are:

* Gentle Moisturizer
* No Alcohol
* No Side Effects
* Use As Often As Needed
* Has a Baby-Size Applicator Tip

Ingredients

Active: Sodium Chloride 0.65% to restore moisture

Inactive: Purified water, glycerin, sodium phosphate dibasic, potassium phosphate monobasic, benzalkonium chloride and disodium edetate.

Directions

For newborns you can use 2-6 drops in each nostril, or as often as directed by your physician.  Dosage for infants, children and adults is the same, but it states 2-6 sprays or drops.

When To Use Little Noses

The box says these drops can be used to moisturize "dry, irritated or crusty nasal passages due to low humidity, heated environments, or air travel".

The directions also say that these drops can be used with the Little Remedies Soft Tip Nasal Aspirator.  CVS also had packages of the dose drops and aspirator together, but we chose not to purchase that, and I will explain why in a minute.

Our Experience

After just two days of using Little Noses, we can see a difference in the comfort level of our baby.  We had been using the aspirator that the hospital sent home with us, but our pediatrician strongly recommended that we not use any kind of aspirator on Evie.  He said they irritate the linings of the nose, which cause swelling and makes it even harder for a baby to breathe well.  This is why we didn't purchase the Little Remedies kit that came with an aspirator (the hospital one is a little bit large for our babies nose).

Our pediatrician said to use 1-2 drops in her nose 8-10 times a day.  He recommended giving them to her before feedings and at bedtime.  I am so glad we got advice from a pediatrician, as the directions say you can use up to six drops!

Before we used these the first time, I dispensed them over the sink just to see how quickly they would come out of the bottle, and I am so glad I did so.  These drops come out very quickly if you squeeze the bottle!!  We have found it works best if we don't squeeze it at all, just hold it over her nose and gravity will allow a drop or two to come out.

Getting them into a squirmy babies nose can be difficult.  My daughter accidentally got one of the drops in her babies eye, but it didn't seem to sting or have any ill effects.  We find it works best to angle the drops up toward the top of her nostril, then they roll in.  When we were directing them toward the bottom of her nostril they sometimes simply rolled down her upper lip and face.

Our doctor explained that the drops can cause the baby to sneeze, and sneezing is a babies only way to clear their nasal passages.  We find that the Little Noses start working in about ten minutes, and they don't always make her sneeze, but generally they do.

The box says these can be used as often as necessary, and that the formula is buffered and alcohol free so that it won't burn or sting.

I have sinus problems myself, and use a nasal rinse on a daily basis, so I know from personal experience that saline solutions do work well.  I think this is a great choice for infants and small children.  It is a good non-medicated treatment that works.  The doctor also suggested that if these didn't help her breathe well enough then we could use a cool mist humidifier in the nursery, but so far the Little Noses have been doing their job well.  Highly recommend this product.

For those who find this product too expensive, you can make your own saline drops, information can be found at Baby Center.

Non-Medicated Relief For Dry or Stuffy NosesNo Side EffectsUse As Often As NeededBaby SIze Applicator Tip
Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Non-medicated relief for dry or stuffy noses, no side effects, use as often as needed. Flushes and removes...