Lodge Fluted Cake Pan Reviews

Lodge Fluted Cake Pan

LODGE CAST IRON FLUTED CAKE PAN: A Dream Come True

Aug 2, 2001 (Updated Aug 2, 2001)

Pros:Bundt and Angel Food Cakes perfectly done, even baking

Cons:must be cleaned right away, a bit heavy

The Bottom Line: Despite the market's saturation of kitchen equipment , it's rare to find equipment producing such fantastic results as the LODGE CAST IRON FLUTED CAKE PAN. This pan is priceless.

For those of you that do not know, since the day that my husband introduced me to the wonders of cast iron cook and bakeware, I have made it my life's ambition to own a complete set of everything I can.

We bake cakes in the frying pans, muffins in the muffin pans, and beans and soups in the deep fryers. These pans are so versatile, and the results are unmatched in any other cookware or bakeware.

THE AMAZING CAKE PAN

One day I was looking through the internet to see if I could find another cast iron bread pan to match the one we had purchased while on vacation several years earlier.

As I wandered around and looked at all of the cast iron cookware, I found a place that sold all kinds of pans I had never seen before.

The store is Gray & Holt, and the site address is www.ugwhite.com. I think that they must carry almost everything made by Lodge in cast iron, and if they do not, they will get it.

When I happened to find a page with cake pans on it, I began to squeal. They had a pineapple cake pan as well as a fluted round cake pan.

It became my mission to get one of these.

THE CAKE PAN BECOMES A REALITY

As Christmas time approached, we excitedly prepared to purchase the bread pan we had wanted for several years. Since we were buying that pan, we opted to add the LODGE FLUTED CAKE PAN in the package.

Shipping was a very reasonable price, and the people at Gray & Holt were fabulous to deal with. When the package arrived, we excitedly opened it up and seasoned our new pans.

YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS....HOW TO SEASON THIS PAN

Contrary to what this site has listed and what others have said who have reviewed LODGE CAST IRON COOKWARE, none of the bakeware or cookware that LODGE makes is steel. It is all CAST IRON!!!

1. Wash with hot soapy water to remove the manufacturing wax coating.

2. Oil the cookware with solid vegetable shortening (the ONLY thing I EVER recommend Crisco for- it is not for eating).

3. Put in oven. Some people suggest upside down, but I have done it successfully both ways.

4. Make sure you provide a pan or something to catch the extra oil that will run off.

5. Bake for an hour or two at 350 degrees F.

6. Let cool in the oven after turned off.

7. Make sure to store in a DRY place when cool.

8. Keep a light coating of oil over the pan after using it. Eventually the coating of oil will make the pan stick free.

WHAT IS THIS PAN LIKE?

The LODGE FLUTED CAKE PAN is a round bundt like pan. It measures 10inches deep. The ring is 4 inches wide from center to edge.

The center hole is tapered up to a narrower opening. It does not go straight up like some pans do.

The pan has little fluted edges in it, making it imperative to oil it well before and after baking.

The pan is heavy, weighing almost 8lbs. However, it is not clumsy to handle like some of the heavier fry pans are.

The pan has a molded handle in it to hang it up by a very strong hook or nail. That is how I store it.

HOW DOES IT BAKE?

As with all cast iron bakeware, it works best when heated up in the oven at the temperature you plan baking the cake at. The pan is already greased.

When your batter is ready, you pull the pan from the oven and then put it into the pan quickly spreading evenly.

Once that is complete, immediately place in the oven and bake at a time that is about 5 minutes shorter than suggested.

These pans are insulated and need shorter baking times than most recipes suggest.

The outside of the cake is beautifully golden and the center is light and well done.

We use whole grains exclusively, but it also works well with white flour (although the whole grains taste so much better....)

WARNINGS

Do NOT wash in dishwasher.

Make sure to DRY IMMEDIATELY after washing, and coat lightly with oil before storing.

If rust spots develop, scour with steel wool, rinse and re-season.

MY COMMENTS

I LOVE this pan. I look forward to baking cakes in this pan despite the cleaning being a bit more involved than a plain cake pan. It just takes a bit more time to rinse well. If you clean it right away, it is easy.

I do not find the cake pan to be too heavy, nor do I find it hard to store, once a heavy duty nail or hook is set up.

RECIPE

Here is my favorite recipe for this pan.

Fresh Apple Cake
6 cooking apples
1/4 c honey
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t fresh grated nutmeg or 1/4 t packaged nutmeg

Cut, pare and thickly slice apples. Mix with honey and spices and set aside.

BATTER
3c whole wheat cake flour (soft wheat)
1 c honey
3 t baking powder
1/2 t sea salt
1 c cold pressed canola or other light flavored oil (no olive)
4 eggs (or -4T egg replacer + 1/2 c soy milk - email me if you do not know what that is)
1/4 fresh squeezed orange juice (or 2 drops orange oil)
1 T vanilla

Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl. Make a hole in center and add all of wet ingredients. Blend well. Will be thick.

Spoon in HOT CAKE PAN PREHEATED AT 350 FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES, alternating batter with apple layers. Finish with a batter layer on top.

After baking for 1 hour and 5 minutes or so, test to see if done with toothpick coming out clean.

Cool for about 1/2 hour or so and then try turning upside down onto plate.

You can sprinkle with powdered buttermilk or just leave plain.

I can not highly praise this pan enough. If you love delicious cakes and are particular about your baked goods, this pan is worth the price and tiny bit of extra cleaning time it takes to use.

Lodge Logic Cast Iron Mini Cake Pan

Lodge Logic Cast Iron Mini Cake Pan

As with the entire Lodge Logic collection, the Lodge Logic Mini Cake Pan is exceptionally durable and will be part of your kitchen essentials for year...

Lodge L7B3 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Mini Cake Pan with 7 Cups

Lodge L7B3 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Mini Cake Pan with 7 Cups

A natural for big, fluffy biscuits, individual desserts, or gingerbread cupcakes, this Lodge L7B3 cast iron mini cake pan also works well for making b...
The WEBstaurant Store
Lodge Wedge Pan L8CB3

Lodge Wedge Pan L8CB3

Lodge L8CB3 Features: -Wedge pan.-A natural for several recipes at one time.-Eight perfectly tooled impressions provide great crusts for cornbread, sc...
Wayfair

Lodge Logic Biscuit Pan - Lodge Logic

Lodge Logic Biscuit Pan - Lodge Logic

Bread & Loaf Pans - Just spoon the batter into the wells of the pan and bake. The cast iron conducts the heat uniformly through the pan to ensure even...
CHEFS Catalog

Lodge L8cb3 Pre-seasoned Cornbread Wedge Pan

Lodge L8cb3 Pre-seasoned Cornbread Wedge Pan

Visit our Store Ask a question FREE SHIPPING Lodge L8CB3 Pre-Seasoned Cornbread Wedge Pan Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! Item Description: So yo...

Lodge L7b3 Pre-seasoned Drop Biscuit Pan, 12-3/4 X 11-3/16

Lodge L7b3 Pre-seasoned Drop Biscuit Pan, 12-3/4 X 11-3/16

Lodge's pre-seasoned and ready to use drop biscuit pan with seven impressions 3-1/4 in diameter and 1 deep. Bake big, fluffy biscuits without a rollin...

Lodge Logic 10-1/2 Cast Iron Square Grill Pan

Lodge Logic 10-1/2 Cast Iron Square Grill Pan

The Lodge Logic 10-1/2 Cast Iron Square Grill Pan will expand the repertoire of what is cooked on your stovetop! We proudly carry on the legacy starte...

Lodge L8CB3 Wedge Pan

Lodge L8CB3 Wedge Pan

Wedge pan Eight perfectly tooled impressions provide great crusts for cornbread, scones and more A natural for several recipes at one time 9
Lodge Logic 10.5 Inch Seasoned Square Grill Pan Multicolor - L8SGP3

Lodge Logic 10.5 Inch Seasoned Square Grill Pan Multicolor - L8SGP3

Shop for Griddles & Grill Pans from Hayneedle.com! The Lodge Logic 10.50-Inch Seasoned Square Grill Pan offers ridges in order to drain the fat from y...
Hayneedle

Lodge Logic 9 Wedge Pan   10202808

Lodge Logic 9 Wedge Pan 10202808

Great cast iron pan for various dishes Eight perfectly tooled impressions - cooks individual servings with great crusts Great for cornbread, raisin sc...
Bass Pro Shops