Logitech V200 Wireless Optical Mouse Reviews

Logitech V200 Wireless Optical Mouse

Excellent

Mar 23, 2008

Pros:Superior battery life, simple and clean form factor

Cons:Price is a bit high, and uncomfortable to use for a long time

The Bottom Line: One of the best mice for mobility and ease of use.

Background

I was looking for a wireless mouse to accompany my laptop. My previous one was the older generation of the V200, with a laser tracker rather than the optical tracker on this one. The older model along with standard PC mice will be the basis of my comparisons. At the time of purchase, the mouse was selling for $40, and it was advertised to have great battery life so I decided to give it a shot.

Performance

The mouse has great tracking on most surfaces, and there is no annoying laser light with the optical tracker. I have experienced no lagging or skipping whatsoever. Because it is optical, the batteries also last longer, and the claims were certainly not without grounds. Using the mouse about 7 hours a day almost everyday, a pair of AA batteries last me almost a year. That is much more than my older laser wireless mouse, which probably lasted about 2 months.

For general use, this mouse is small enough to carry around yet still comfortable. The wireless receiver attaches onto the mouse, and I have had no problems with it coming loose during travel. I can even play games absolutely fine, though compared to a laser mouse the DPI is slightly lacking to some. Though if you have no use for super high sensitivity, there is nothing wrong with the V200's sensitivity.

The mouse works fine on its own, but a separate program is needed from the company's website (or from the CD) in order to make use of the tilt wheel function.

Features

- Standard 2 button mouse
- Tilt wheel allows for 3 functions on the wheel, for a total of 5 functions on the mouse
- Tilt can be mapped to scroll sideways, zoom, or map additional mouse buttons
- Optical tracker for excellent battery life
- LED on mouse subtly signals if battery life is low
- Dongle attaches to mouse for easy carrying

Cons

Of course, nothing is perfect, and here are a few quirks I have found:

- Small size makes it easy to carry but hard on the hands for extended use
- No on/off switch on mouse (need to attach its dongle to turn off)
- Middle button is difficult to press (instead, I just use the tilt wheel as the middle button function)

Other notes

Another thing I like about this mouse is that compared to my previous Logitech mouse, there is no varnish to be rubbed away by the oil and sweat from my hands. The surface is slick and unpainted. Additionally, the mouse buttons seem to be a bit more durable (older ones have their buttons wearing out and loosing sensitivity with heavy use).

The mousepad can make a difference between decent tracking and great tracking. Consider it a good investment to look into good mousepads with your new mouse.

SquareTrade AP6.0 Brand New! Not Refurbished! Not Recertified! Not Store Demo! Not Open Box Item! Not Used!Genuine Logitech V200 2.4GH z Cordless No...