Logitech C210 Web Cam Reviews

Logitech C210 Web Cam

Sneaky Logitech

Oct 23, 2010 (Updated Mar 15, 2011)

Pros:Supports Skype, GMail, Windows Live, Yahoo Messenger, autofocus, auto light

Cons:Installs Logitech's VID HD, died after 5 months

The Bottom Line: It was a good webcam while it lasted - died unexpectedly.

I bought this webcam because Skype decided that it didn't like my generic webcam and I couldn't make video calls anymore.
This webcam is supported by Skype and Skype even detected it before installation was completed.  It's also supposed to work with Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Gmail, and Logitech Vid HD.
The webcam comes with a built-in microphone, is 1.3 mp, is always focused, and has auto light correct.
This webcam's requirements are:1) Windows XP (SP2 or higher), Vista, WIndows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit)2) 1 Ghz or faster CPU3) 512 MB RAM or more4) 200 MB Hard Drive space5) Internet connection6) USB 1.1 port or higher
However, Logitech recommends a dual-core PC with 1 GB RAM and broadband internet with 256 kbps upload or higher, for best video calling experience.
Now for the sneaky part.  I deselected Logitech VID HD and it still installed it!  At the end of the installation I had to click on the link to set up an account otherwise I couldn't get the window to close.  Fortunately, it wanted to update the software before I set up and account and I closed it there.

When I tested the webcam the picture seemed clear and in focus, however, using the software webcam controls are not as clear cut as it should be.  I was trying to zoom in the camera and it didn't seem to be responding until I moved my head.  You can set it to automatically adjust for lighting (RightLight) and to keep you in focus (follow my face). I turned off the lights and the webcam zoomed in to my face, and the image seemed just as clear, albeit a zoomed in image.<p>

Skype Test
I made a video call and the person I called said the image was sharper than my generic webcam.  I noticed that whenever I moved it zoomed in on me so I guess that's the follow my face feature.
Software/Application add-ons
Apparently there is supposed to be some free software/applications that you can add on but when I clicked on the link for Magix, I couldn't find the free video software, I only saw the photo software which I didn't bother to download.  You apparently can add Microsoft's Moviemaker software which I didn't download.
In an older Logitech quickcam that I had you had more software features like adding borders around the picture, fun effects etc., but this one doesn't come with any of that.
UPDATEI had a power cut and started having problems with the webcam after.  I had audio for a short while but no video in Skype, then it appeared to have died - not seen by desktop or laptop computers.

Color: Black Features: High-quality video recording and video calling Crisp 1.3 MP photos Auto light correction adjusts brightness for best possible i...
Feature: Brand Name : Logitech Model : 960-000617 Item Package Quantity : 1 Weight : 0.55 pounds Warranty : 2-year limited hardware warranty Manufactu...