Logitech Y-UY95 920-000914 Wired Keyboard Reviews

Logitech Y-UY95 920-000914 Wired Keyboard

Free Shipping 79stores.com

Logitech Had Just What I Needed

Dec 30, 2009

Pros:Thin & stylish; illuminated keys; smooth functioning keys

Cons:N/a

The Bottom Line: Logitech delivers again with this sleekly designed illuminated keyboard.

Let’s face it there is nothing sexy or even new about keyboard design, expect for the rise of backlit units.  But the keyboard is one of the most essential parts of the computer; after all, without one the computer is close to useless.

I do a lot of my writing early in the morning before the rest of the house wakes up and the noise of ringing phones, televisions, radios, etc. distract me.  My office is in the loft of our house and my desktop sits in the corner right by a large window, but said window offers little light at 5:00 in the morning.  Nor does my underpowered desk lamp; like most desk lamps, it only offer a scant 60 watts of illumination and when turned on at night or early morning, I casts a shadow over my keyboard making typing difficult.
There are other lights in the loft, but because of the placement of the keyboard, they offer little help in banishing the shadows from yhr black keyboard.

And the keyboard that shipped with my Dell XPS AIO Computer was nice, but it had tit (minor) flaws, like the media control keys on the far right hand side.  There was no way to turn them off.  They are backlit in blue and are touch sanative, which I admit was cool at first, but after a few times of inadvertently fast forwarding through a song, the “cool” factor wore off quickly.

When I took receipt of my new Dell Latitude 6500 laptop one of the first things I notice and have come to appreciate, is the illuminate keyboard, it works and work well.  So, I started looking around for an illuminated keyboard for my desk, so naturally I turned to Logitech and they delivered in the guise of the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

The 411

The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is a full sized ultrathin keyboard that is relatively simple in design and function; i.e. there is no USB hub, no scroll pad or dials, or separate specialized multimedia keys. What the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard does offer is quite a minimalist keyboard with softly illuminated, but bright  keys that are easy to see day or night.

The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is of course black, but it is trimmed in a small clear plastic boarder that makes the unit look highly professional and upscale.  A built-in wrist rest with the Logitech logo imprinted in the middle is fitted beneath the keys.  The wrist rest is covered in a soft rubber material to prevent hand slippage as you type.

Underneath the keyboard, you will find two small plastic feet that extend down from the base, which incline the unit slightly making for a better typing experience. As the name implies, the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is designed with embedded microlens reflectors under each individual key that produce an adjustable soft-white backlit effect under every key, except the function keys, where in the illumination is orange. The intensity of the light can be adjusted via a key in the upper right hand corner of the keyboard and there are three predetermined settings including off; I prefer it on at all times.

There are a myriad of black and orange special function keys along the top of the keyboard including a Home, E-Mail, Magnifier, Media Player, Chat, Gadgets, etc.  There are also Media Player specific function keys forward, back, play/pause.  The keys are activated by pushing the key labeled FN along with the key; this is the same designed used with most laptop keyboards.

Like some of Logitech’s higher-end units the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard features the company’s PerfectStroke key design. The technology (PerfectStroke) allows for 3.2mm of space between each key and uniform tactile feedback across the entire flat key surface.  The effect is soothing to say the least.
Installation

The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is a wired USB port keyboard for obvious reasons so it is pretty much plug-n-play.  I installed the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard on my Dell XPS AIO running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.  The USB keyboard was recognized right away and all of the function keys worked without installing the included software.  But of course I already had Logitech’s SetPoint Version 4.7 software already installed and working with my Logitech MX Laser Mouse, so it detected the keyboard and allowed me to program it.

First Impressions

The first thing I noticed—and I am sure any user would—about the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard ($64.95 at Buy.com) is how small and slickly designed it is.  The keys have a soft tactile feel that is not too harsh, but provide just the right amount of feedback through the keys.

And what I bought the keyboard for, illumination; works like charm!  In total darkness, semi-darkness, or in the full light of day the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard delivers what I need to be able to type without annoying shadows obscuring the keys!

Although no one but me will see the keyboard on a continual basis, I appreciate the cutting edge, but minimalist design.  I am not a gamer after all and have no need of the overflow of keys that tend to accompany such keyboards.  Nor do I need a USB hub attached to the keyboard and mucking up the form and function of the unit; that is not what I purchased the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard for.

Conclusion

While some may find fault with the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard’s rather austere design, lack of wireless and USB hub, I am taken with the design and functionality of the unit.  In other words, Logitech has delivered again!

Bright, laser-etched, backlit keys that let you type easily--even in the dark Cutting-edge, ultra-thin profile (9.3 mm) that adds an elegant touch to ...
79stores.com
ILLUMINATED KEYBOARD FULL-SIZE *UNAVAILABLE TILL AUG13* MPN: 920-000914
Logitech Illuminated - Keyboard - USB - English - US 920-000914
Logitech LOG920000914 Featuring bright, laser-etched, backlit keys, this corded illuminated keyboard allows you to type easily''day or night. Perfect...
Wayfair Supply
Bright, laser-etched backlighted keys, superior craftsmanship, and Perfect Stroke technology combine for an innovative desktop keyboard perfect for th...
You've just gotten home. It's dark but you still have e-mails to write, people to chat with, blogging to do. While everyone else is in the dark, you'r...

LOGITECH Keyboard Logitech Illuminated 920-000914