Lumiscope 1060 Blood Pressure and Pulse Monitor

Lumiscope 1060 Blood Pressure and Pulse Monitor...and the Beat Goes On... Challenge Yourself W/O

Jan 26, 2005 (Updated Jan 26, 2005)

Pros:Easy to use

Cons:Bulb a bit worn now.

The Bottom Line: This is a basic easy to use and read Blood Pressure Monitor that is worth the little money I invested in it.

I have owned this Blood pressure and pulse monitor for over five years. The same model is still available though instead of the gray front colour, the new one, still the 1060 model, is shown as blue. The colour in the picture that accompanies this review shows a yellowish tone. I believe that is more with the lighting when the image was taken than the true colour. In any case the new ones are blue. Enough about colour, let me move on.

As a fellow who is quite overweight I thought I would monitor my blood pressure. I suppose it would be more wise to add some exercise and a healthy food diet to my daily living, but I haven't. I am what I am and right now I am fat.

I suppose that a fat guy monitoring his blood pressure could be like watching a balloon being blown up. What I am doing is kind of watching that the balloon doesn't get too much pressure inside and suddenly burst. Kaboooom!!

Box Top Features

Some of the facts are directly from the Lumiscope web site that also shows much more in their line.

Semi-Automatic Inflation Upper Arm
Blood Pressure Monitor
Model 1060
Alternately displays blood pressure and pulse readings.

Touch pad control
Memory recall
Auto-off
Includes cuff (fits arms of 8.6"-12.6" in circumference). Larger and smaller cuff sizes are available
Requires one nine-volt battery
One-Year Warranty

How To Use It

I'm not going into a blow by blow (remember the balloon analogy) ...but I will say that the directions give a simple to read and understand instructions.

The cuff has Velcro and a bar that holds the strap in place so you can slide it up over your arm rather than having to try and get the two ends together over the arm. This makes it easy to get on with less contortion work.

The bulb is the same you see on any doctors regular blood pressure monitors. You are told how much to inflate it and how to deflate. (More balloon type talk). There is an easy to grip button that you press to release the pressure. You do not have to unscrew anything.

The casing is the heart of the machine. It is here that you will read the Systolic and Diastolic pressure. I won't go into the difference as I am not an expert, but I will simply state one is the high reading and the other the low.

There is a booklet that gives guidelines of what these pressures should be for different individuals. The window will also show your pulse. First the pulse shows and then it alternates with the Systolic and Diastolic readings. The numbers that come up are about half inch in size with enough contrast to the back ground and are pretty easy to see.

This window is also what gives information as to the use of the monitor. There are easily read symbols on the face of the monitor that give information as to Measuring, Exhaust, Insufficient Inflation, Low Battery, and Errors you may have made.

A feature I like about this unit is that it keeps the last readings of blood pressure in the machine so that when you turn it on for another reading at a later date, the last reading is still there. It is erased once you start the new readings and the pulse is not saved at all.

Cautions

The booklet gives guidelines as to who can use the machine. In basic terms, and please use the companies words and not mine for final evaluation, people should not do their own diagnosis, some people with a week heart beat may not get proper readings, any readings should be discussed with your doctor and more.

My Experience

The monitor comes with one of those nine volt rectangular batteries. I believe I have only replaced it three times in the last 5-6 years. One reason why I receive such good battery life is because the monitor has an automatic shut off feature that does its job after three minutes of non-use. The batteries are pretty easy to install, no tools are needed.

When I was first using this unit it barely made it over my arm. I was a bit more pumped up then. Now it fits fine. Other sizes cuff sizes can be purchased if needed.

It is suggested that you do not roll up sleeves and put the cuff over it as it may give in accurate readings. There are many other suggestions and guidelines too. Most are common sense, but its good to read all of them.

I was able to follow the directions of use and after the first week or two I rarely had the machine telling me I was doing something wrong. Ha, I like pumping the bulb and feeling the pressure build up on my arm. I feel like a regular doctor or health care worker.

When using some functions there is both a visual and audio response. Now, not only am I fat, but I can't hear either. It's just not that loud a sound and it's out of my audio range. The visual readings is all I really need anyway.

Last Thoughts

This unit has done well for me. The only part that is not holding up is the bulb. The rubbery outside shell is showing signs of cracking but as of now still holds pressure. Actually there is a little valve beyond the bulb that keeps air from getting back to it. Even so I suppose I should go on-line and see if I can replace just the bulb. It does just slide right off. It's only held on with friction and the pressure of the rubber.

I have been lucky I suppose in that my readings have always been in a good zone for my age. I suppose I could get those numbers down even more if I decided to lose a few pounds. I'll see about that. In the mean time I will continue using my Lumiscope 1060 Blood Pressure and Pulse Monitor and check out my blood pressure numbers to be sure that "ol' balloon" doesn't get too much pressure inside and go Kabooom!!

This is a contribution to the
Challenge Yourself W/O sponsored by captaind.
I always wanted to do a review in the Beauty section. Ok, ok this is the wellness category.

Lumiscope Automatic Blood Pressure And Pulse Monitor :1133

Lumiscope Automatic Blood Pressure And Pulse Monitor :1133

All categories Click here to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. Lumiscope Automatic Blood Pressure and Pulse Monitor #:1133 Fit...

Lumiscope Semi-automatic Blood Pressure & Pulse Monitor :1103

Lumiscope Semi-automatic Blood Pressure & Pulse Monitor :1103

All categories Click here to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. Lumiscope Semi-Automatic Blood Pressure Pulse Monitor #:1103 Fi...

Irregular heart beat detection. one touch automatic inflation and deflation. blood pressure and pulse measuremant. 4 user with 99 memory readings each...
Lumiscope 1137 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor

Lumiscope 1137 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor

1137 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor P/N: 1137 Manufacturer: Lumiscope Lumiscope Deluxe Automatic Inflation/Deflation Blood Pressure and Pulse Monitor...

Lumiscope 1147 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor

Lumiscope 1147 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor

1147 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor P/N: 1147 Manufacturer: Lumiscope Lumiscope Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor Irregular heartbeat detection One Touch ...

Lumiscope 1147 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor Automatic 396 Reading(s) - White

Template By Froo!Lumiscope 1147 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor - Automatic - 396 Reading(s) - White Lumiscope 1147 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor - ...

Automatic Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor, Lumiscope

Automatic Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor, Lumiscope

Lumiscope 1143 Automatic Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor Automatic Inflation and Deflation Wrist Blood Pressure and Pulse Monitor Memory feature - one (1...

Lumiscope 1147 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor Automatic 396 Reading(s) - White

Lumiscope 1147 Advanced Blood Pressure Monitor - Automatic - 396 Reading(s) - White (1147)(New-Retail) Description:Irregular heart beat detection. one...

Lumiscope Semi Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor Memory Digital Precise

Lumiscope Semi Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor Memory Digital Precise

NIB Lumiscope semi automatic blood pressure monitor with memory, large digital display and precise pulse meter. This monitor includes large easy-to-re...

Lumiscope 1133 Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor, Includes Ac Adapter.

Lumiscope 1133 Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor, Includes Ac Adapter.

UPPER ARM AUTOMATIC DIGITAL BLOOD PRESSURE MONITOR MODEL 1133 • Automatic Inflation and Deflation Blood Pressure Monitor • Pulse Monitor • Memor...