Sheraton Luxor Resort

The Sheraton Luxor - A beautiful property and a bargain!

Jun 13, 2012

Pros:The Sheraton Luxor is one of the prettiest properties in Luxor, complete with lovely grounds.

Cons:None, we were very pleased.

The Bottom Line: Egypt is calling. Currently hotel rooms are truly a bargain, as are tours to the major sights.  This hotel wont' cost you a ton of money, and you'll be pleased.

The Sheraton Luxor is located in the city of Luxor, along the River Nile.  Homer named Luxor the “Thebes of the Thousand Gates” due to the proximity to many important Egyptian open-air monuments.

This hotel enjoys a terrific location facing the Nile and is near to all of the important attractions.  The Temple of Luxor and Karnak are only a 10-minute horse cart ride away, or five minutes by taxi.  Other important attractions, such as the Valley of the Kings and Queen, they are located less than 10 kms from the hotel.

The hotel consists of a main building that looks a like a cruise ship from the River's angle, boasting 280 rooms. Adjacent to the main building is a cluster of bungalows that look charming, and have their own pool.

We spent four nights at the Sheraton Luxor, at the end of our Egypt trip in January 2012.  This Starwood Hotels property is rated as SPG Category 1, which is the lowest of their ratings.  When I booked this hotel, I was very apprehensive, as some reviews elsewhere criticized the property for being in desperate need of renovations, etc.

In any case, we used Starwood Points to book this hotel, at 3,000 points per night.

First Impressions

Luxor is actually a very pretty and clean city.  The airport, though small is very modern, and we had no problem finding our hotel pick-up, which turned out to be a regular taxi.

The Sheraton Luxor is located at the end of Khaled ibn El Walid road.  When the car drove into the property, we could see very lush gardens, and the River Nile to the right.  On arrival at the door, there were three musicians playing a little welcoming tune, and a porter fetched our bags, which he delivered to the room after we checked in.

The Lobby

Is quite spacious, and has beautiful views of the Nile.  Okay, so, I understood the comments about the place needing a renovation, but really, new furniture would do the trick. Wicker furniture tends to wear quickly, thus the “dated” look.

There is a Sheraton Link center, with twelve desktop computers, available to guests free of charge, and a daily 30 minutes of free internet.  In the suite we had free Wi-Fi, but the normal daily fee was around $24 per day in the room, and $6.00 in the lobby.

Check-in

Our reservation was in order, and we were upgraded to a beautiful corner suite.

Our room

Our corner suite had an incredible view of the Nile and in the distance we could actually see the Valley of the Kings.

The layout is brilliant… a separate bedroom with a full bath and shower, a living room, a dining room, and a half bath.  The balcony, “L” shaped is huge, complete with two lounge chairs (covered with terry towels – changed daily), and a round table with four chairs.  It was perfect!

The room lived up to the higher-end Sheratons, with lovely amenities, a great bed with crisply ironed linens, and plenty of plush pillows.

The Bathroom

All marble: floor, ceilings, walls, etc.  This room is quite luxurious! Plush towels are abundant, and we appreciated the two cotton robes hanging behind the door. The Bliss amenities are also nice.

The Club Lounge

As Platinum members we could take our breakfast in the dining room downstairs, or the Club Lounge.  Free drinks, including wine were available after 5:00 pm, and they offered us some very nice wines, canapés and fresh fruits.

The Lounge has two desktop computers, available to guests, with free internet.

The Lounge attendants really went out of their way to make our visits very pleasant.

We also ate breakfast once in the lounge.  They have a continental buffet, basic, but hot foods, like eggs, etc., must be ordered from the kitchen.  The attendant was more than happy to place the order and go to the kitchen to pick it up.  The tourist count is so low in Egypt that these guys bend backwards to please in hope of a little gratuity.

The Karnak Restaurant

This is the hotel’s main dining room, and we ate three breakfasts here.  The breakfast spread is nice, with fresh fruits, cold meats, cheeses, yogurts, etc. Also included are waffles, pancakes, and eggs (any style).  The service is perfunctory, probably because most clients don’t leave any tips on the table, the majority being Europeans…still, that’s no excuse for passable service.  We always left a little token, not even amounting to $1 per person, but they were over the moon when we did, and they were nicer the next time we ate in.

The room is quite cheerful and airy and faces the pool and the Nile can be seen past the pool.

Agra Indian Restaurant

We ate dinner here, and the price was about $40 for two adults, with beer and water.  The food was delicious but the portions were really tiny.  The service faltered and I honestly think it’s because the waiter did not speak English well. After a few tries, he gave up and he called one of the Indian gentlemen in the back, and he understood what we wanted, and so, we received our dinner.

There is an Italian restaurant on the premises, but we didn’t try it.

Amenities

Outside the lobby, there is a little bazaar with many vendors selling the usual Egyptian souvenirs, at double the price.  We perused the shops, but we only bought postcards and stamps.

The pool is quite pretty; one is for the adults, and one for the kids.  The views of the Nile are spectacular, but alas, it was January, and cool, and the water was not heated (the heater was out).

There is an activities coordinator in the lobby, and they contract the activities with outside vendors; on our first day, we did the sailing on a felucca activity, and that include the 1-hour ride, cake and tea, for $24 person.

We found out the prices double when you go through the hotel.  It’s a good idea to walk around the neighborhood and visit a couple of the tour agencies, and book your tours accordingly.  Nevertheless, the ladies at the activities desk are extremely nice.

Conclusion

This hotel enjoys an unbeatable location with close proximity to all the major Luxor attractions.  The property is attractive, the rooms are well-maintained, and the staff is very helpful.

Honestly, right now it’s so cheap to visit Egypt.  If you look at the Starwood Hotels website, a classic room costs only $45 dollars.  We used points because frankly, we knew we’d get upgraded, due to the low guest count. If we’d book the suite, it would have cost $300 a night, but otherwise, $45 to $65 will buy you a perfectly lovely room per night, for two people.

I recommend the Sheraton Luxor. The area is safe, Luxor is safe, and you'll have a great time!