Brush Cleaner

MAC Brush Cleanser

Jul 19, 2009

Pros:easy to use; cleans brushes; keeps fibers soft

Cons:not cheap

The Bottom Line: An excellent product for cleaning makeup brushes.

Makeup brushes can be expensive; taking good care of them can help them stay in good shape and be useful to you longer.  It can also help prevent infection… who wants to use an eye shadow brush that's been on your eyelid and in makeup frequently?  I hate to think about the potential for bacteria, especially with liquid make-ups!  I purchased MAC's Brush Cleanser for the purpose of cleaning the makeup brushes that I have, and I have found it to be an excellent product.

Description

This product comes in a lightweight black cardboard box with information printed on it in white.  There are a LOT of words on the back of the box, in part because some for the information is repeated in multiple languages.  The printing is small enough where I feel more comfortable looking under my glasses than through them to read (I love a product that lets me know that bifocals are in my future).  The actual product comes in a slightly-opaque bottle with information printed on it in black.  The black cap twists off, but it also has a flip-top dispenser, which is what I use.

An important thing to note on the box is the CAUTION warning, which reads: Highly flammable.  Keep out of the reach of children.  Keep container in a well-ventilated place.  Keep away from sources of ignition -  no smoking

The cleanser is a pink liquid with a viscosity similar to water.  It foams a bit if you shake it.  It smells okay… it is a lightly pungent scent.  It's not something I'd want to smell all the time, but it isn't offensive, and it's not something you notice much when using it on makeup brushes.

Use and Experience

The directions for use on this product read as follows: Apply to damp brushes and work through.  Rinse well.  Reshape and lay flat to dry.

What I do when I use this to wash my brushes is to run the brush under water briefly and get it wet.  I pour some of the cleanser directly onto the brush and work it through the fibers.  Because it is so entirely liquid, it is a little difficult to tell how much I'm using, but it doesn't take much to start to see the makeup come out of the brushes.  I then rinse the fibers and the entire brush thoroughly, squeeze the water out, and lie brushes on a towel to let them air dry.

I've been very pleased with the results of using this cleanser.  The brushes appear much cleaner, although there is still a bit of pigment left in my blush brush (possibly because I don't clean it nearly as often as I should!).  The fibers of the brushes dry nicely and remain soft.  I have no way to test whether or not this product actually disinfects, but I do know that the brushes are much cleaner than when I start when I use this product.

Cost and Where to Buy

I purchased this at a MAC counter in a Macy's store, but you can also buy MAC products in brick and mortar MAC stores, as well as online at www.maccosmetics.com.  I should also point out that Macy's is not the only department store in which you'll find MAC cosmetics counters; I've seen them in Nordstrom as well, and I'm sure there are many others.  The brush cleanser comes in a container that holds 235 mL (7.9 fluid ounces); the current cost for this is $11.00.

Ingredients List: Water/Aqua/Eau, Alcohol Denat., Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hexylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Triclosan, Isopropyl Alcohol, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 33 (CI 17200) <ILN30792>.

I like MAC's Brush Cleanser, and I would purchase it again.  It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way.  It's easy to use and it works!  5 stars.

Thanks to Shantel for adding this to the Epinions database for me!

Stiff Bristle Vacuum Cleaner Brush

Stiff Bristle Vacuum Cleaner Brush

Dyson Stiff Bristle Vacuum Cleaner BrushMaximize your cleaning effectiveness for hard floors and on ground-in dirt with the Dyson Stiff Bristle Vacuum...
HSN

Fuller Brush Vacuum Cleaner Hepa Exhaust Filter

Fuller Brush Vacuum Cleaner Hepa Exhaust Filter

Fuller Brush Vacuum Cleaner Hepa Exhaust Filter fits the Deluxe FB80 Fuller Brush upright model and any Fuller Brush upright vacuum cleaner that has p...

FullerProducts.com

Fuller Brush Canister Vacuum Cleaner Bags All Models

Fuller Brush Canister Vacuum Cleaner Bags All Models

Fuller Brush Canister Vacuum Cleaner Bags, Fits All Fuller Brush canister Models. Original Fuller Brush Bags. 6 Micro Bags In Pack

Zoro

Fuller Brush Tiny Tank vacuum cleaner bags- Generic - 6 pack + 1 filter /pack

Fuller Brush Tiny Tank vacuum cleaner bags- Generic - 6 pack + 1 filter /pack

Generic Fuller Brush Tiny Tank vacuum cleaner bags Quantity Per Package: 6 vacuum bags + 1 Filter By EnviroCare Fits Models: Tiny Tank
EZVacuum.com

Warner Roller-Brush Spin Cleaner 2717

Warner Roller-Brush Spin Cleaner 2717

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. Roller Brush Cleaner. Great for removing excess paint from your paintbrush or roller. Insert brush into grippers or ...
Home Depot

Fuller Brush Vacuum Cleaner Bags Heavy Duty Fb-1400

Fuller Brush Vacuum Cleaner Bags Heavy Duty Fb-1400

Fuller Brush Genuine Vacuum Cleaner Bags. Fits Heavy Duty, Deluxe, and Standard Upright Vacuum Cleaners FB-1400 6 bags in pack

Fuller Brush Canister Vacuum Cleaner Bags Canister Vacuum Bags, 6 / Pack

Fuller Brush Canister Vacuum Cleaner Bags Canister Vacuum Bags, 6 / Pack

Works With: Fuller Brush Tiny Tank Fuller Brush FBPT2 Description:Original Fuller Brush Bags, 6 Micro Bags In Pack
Fuller Brush Upright Vacuum Cleaner Bags - Generic - 12 pack

Fuller Brush Upright Vacuum Cleaner Bags - Generic - 12 pack

Fuller Brush Upright EnviroCare Vacuum Cleaner Bags w/Dust Closure (PaU3) Fits Models: FB-75, FB-80, FB-90, FBHDI, FBP-95, FBP-HD2 Upright Series Also...
EZVacuum.com