Mtd White Outdoor Lt 1650 Riding Mower

MTD White Outdoor LT 1650 Riding Lawn Mower – A Great Buy!

Jul 11, 2002 (Updated Sep 29, 2002)

Pros:Attractive Price, Hydrostatic Transmission with Infinite Speeds, Cast Iron Front Axle

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: We highly recommend the MTD White Outdoor LT1650 riding lawn mower for its features, performance and durability, and attractive pricing.

We had no intention of buying another riding lawn mower after buying a Murray just 5 years ago. However, the Murray kept breaking down and after all the repair costs we spent, we could have already bought another one. The last time it broke down, we really had all we could take and decided to research on buying a new one. Having really good luck with our MTD log splitter, we set out researching on the MTD lawn mowers. John Deere's are great, from our research, but a bit out of our price range. We needed at least the same size engine as our Murray to be able to climb our hilly terrain and when we found the MTD White Outdoor LT 1650 having more features than our Murray and an engine that had 16.5 hp, instead of the 14.5 horsepower that our Murray had, we bought it! May the Murray rest in peace or shall we say pieces!

We have 120 acres of mountain property. We do not mow the whole 120 acres since the majority is timberland, however, we do have old logging roads that get covered in grass that we have to upkeep due to fire danger in the summer. If you let the grass get too high, you run the risk of your setting off a fire by driving on it with your vehicle.

In addition, we have the area around our house and around our landscaping to mow.

Features

16.5 hp Briggs & Stratton Industrial Plus Opposed Twin Engine

Heavy Duty Hydrostatic Transmission (Foot Controlled) with Infinite Choice of Speeds

42 inch TurboCut deck with Grease Zerks

Cast-Iron Front Axle

Exclusive Turbo Cooling Hood Design (Keeps the engine cooler so it performs better and lasts longer)

18 inch Turning Radius

LED Systems Monitor Package with Digital Hour Meter and Battery Voltage Monitor

Contoured and Padded High-Back Seat

Padded and Gripped Steering Wheel

Cup Holder (What a Treat to Have)

Headlights

Rubber Footpads

3-Gallon Fuel Capacity

Speed Demon of 5.5 mph (watch out for the cops!)

Lubrication Maintenance with a "splash"

Step-Thru Frame for Easy On and Off

Front Tire Size of 15 inches x 6 inches

Rear Tire Size of 20 inches x 8 inches

Weight: 596 lbs.

Performance

Well if I can drive this mower than any one can. The hydrostatic transmission is easy to use as driving a car. If you have never had one, you are really in for a treat. Instead of being limited to 1 to 3 speeds, the speeds are infinite! The hydrostatic transmission is also maintenance free. You do not need to change the oil or add oil to the transmission.

My husband also really likes the feature of the cast iron front axle with our variations of steep inclining land and rocky terrain. He feels the benefit of having the cast iron pivoting front axle gives it so much more durability and strength.

The 16.5 Briggs and Stratton engine climbs our steepest incline on our mountain road without any problems. It appears that all of our large equipment has a Briggs and Stratton engine in them and we have never had any problems with the Briggs brand on any of our equipment.

The turning radius of 18 inches is so much better than our Murray had. It is much easier to get around the smaller trees and bushes without all the backing up with a larger turning radius.

The mower has an easy manual PTO to engage the 2-blade 42 inch anti-scalp Turbo Cut deck.

The padded seat makes for a comfortable ride without your bootie getting sore on bumpier terrain or for large areas to mow and the additional feature of a cup holder keeps you mowing longer without having to go back home and rehydrate.

The steering wheel is padded and has little grips all around on it making it so much more comfortable than our hard wheel on our Murray.

So far the lawn mower has been easy to start and we have not had any problems with it.

My husband uses the mower frequently and I have used it several times. I tried my best to scalp the grass as I did before with our push mower whereas, he never wanted me to touch the grass again, but I just couldn't get this one to do it!! I just hope he doesn't want me to add this task amongst my other chores now.

We do not have the mulching or bagging optional accessories, so I cannot comment on how they perform.

Final Thoughts

We are really impressed with our MTD White Outdoor LT 1650 riding lawnmower and it has lived up to all of our expectations. I certainly hope in your research that you will consider one. In my opinion, it has more features for your money.

Optional Accessories Offered

Tractor Mate Tool Box - $159

Tire Chains - $79

Dozer Blade - $349

2-Stage Snow Thrower - $999

No tools are required to attach or remove any of the accessories.

Warranty

The warranty is 2 years with a 90 day no fault consumer guarantee on normal wear parts.

Thank you for reading my review, and I hope you have found this helpful in your decision making process.

MTD 46 in. Snow Blade

MTD 46 in. Snow Blade

Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. This fast attach 46 in. heavy duty steel snow blade is strong enough to clear large snow filled ar...
Home Depot

731-06098 Mtd Lt Hydro Fan

731-06098 Mtd Lt Hydro Fan

New MTD LT Hydro Fan MTD Part #:731-06098 **Fits the MTD lawnmower models listed above in photos ** This is an ACTUAL OEM PART NOT an aftermarket item...

MTD Riding Lawn Mower 38 & 42 Decks Replacement Tractor Deck Wheel Kit OEM-190-183

Mtd Oem-190-833 46 Dozer Blade Snow Plow 4 Tractors

Mtd Oem-190-833 46 Dozer Blade Snow Plow 4 Tractors

52881 VAN DYKE SHELBY TWP. MI 48316 1-877-MOW-TOWN PRESENTING This is a brand new unit in the original Factory sealed box. MTD 46 Front mount Dozer bl...

MTD Snow Blower. 42 in. Two-Stage Snow Thrower Attachment

MTD Snow Blower. 42 in. Two-Stage Snow Thrower Attachment

Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. This heavy duty 42 in. wide snow blower attachment is ready to take on mother nature's worst snow ...
Home Depot

MTD Replacement Riding Lawn Mower 42 Deck Molded Mulch Door Replacement Tractor Mulching Plug 631-04463

951-10309 751-10309 Mtd & White Outdoor Carburetor

951-10309 751-10309 Mtd & White Outdoor Carburetor

Genuine New MTD / White Outdoor Carburetor White Outdoor Part #:951-10309 751-10309 **Fits the MTD/White Outdoor models listed above in gallery photo ...

MTD Riding Lawn Mower 50 Deck Mulch Plug Replacement Tractor Mulching Kit OEM-190-193, 731-04651

MTD 14 inch Electric Snowblower

MTD 14 inch Electric Snowblower

MTD 14 Electric Snowblower powers your patio clear of snow. Don't be a statistic. Save your back! Snow shoveling sends over 11,000 people to the hospi...
The Sportsman Guide

MTD 46 Twin Mower Blade Set

MTD 46 Twin Mower Blade Set

Keep your lawn looking nice with these MTD 46 Mower Blades. This set replaces the 942-04290 and 742-04290 blades and it fits Murray Yard Man, Yard Mac...