Mach Speed Eclipse 180 (8 GB) Digital Media Player Reviews

• User Rating: OK

• Sound:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Pros:Screen w/video conversion software

Cons:Unresponsive at times; difficult to navigate; battery doesn't run as long as it says

The Bottom Line: Decide why you want to purchase an mp3 player. If it's for a good music experience, keep shopping.

I found this Eclipse mp3 player for a superb deal after Christmas and couldn’t pass up the 8GB, video/music player, with the USB connector for manipulating files, loading software that comes on the player, and charging it.  Because the player was originally over $45 and on a good discount, I figured it was a safe bet to purchase without researching.  I was wrong.
I brought the player home and opened it.  After reading the directions, I turned on the player and explored the menus, familiarizing myself with it.  Some songs come preloaded on the player so you can begin listening to tunes right off the bat.  Videos are also preloaded.  I meticulously organized and loaded my own music and videos to the playlist.  Note: be sure to disconnect the mp3 player through the computer instead of just pulling the USB out, as is noted in the directions!  After disconnecting it, I turned it on to listen to my music collection.  At first the buttons (which are more like toggle buttons) responded when I would press them, but it was not long before they stopped responding.  I have to press the buttons several times, with different pressure, in slightly different areas to get them to work.  The music sounds more “tinny” than my previous mp3 player, which cost half the price of this one, even after I adjusted the equalizer.  I listened to my music and watched videos I’d loaded for about an hour before my battery quit.  Even though the battery indicator on the screen showed I still had about ¼ of my power remaining, the player refused to turn on.  I charged it, played it again, and it only lasted about 2 hours, instead of the advertised 10+ hours.
I am on the market again for a good mp3 player, after owning this one for 3 days.  I will be sure to do my homework this time before making an impromptu bargain buy.  If you just want something to play music and you don’t care how long it lasts or how it sounds, and you aren’t concerned about controlling the selection (skipping tracks or adjusting the volume), this may work for you.  Otherwise, I would recommend that you keep looking.

Recommended for: Audio Book Listeners - Download Audio Books and Radio Programs

Mach Speed - Eclipse Fit Clip Plus 8GB MP3 / Video Player, 1.8 Display, FM Radio, 3.5mm H

Mach Speed Eclipse Fit Clip Plus 8GB MP3 / Video Player, 1.8 Display, FM Radio, 3.5mm Headphone Jacks, High Speed USB 2.0, Pink The Mach Speed Eclipse...
Adorama

Mach Speed Eclipse Fit Clip Plus 8GB MP3 / Video Player, 1.8 Display, FM Radio, 3.5mm Headphone Jacks, High Speed USB 2.0, Blue The Mach Speed Eclipse...
Adorama

Mach Speed - Eclipse Touch Pro 4GB MP3 / Video Player, 2.4 Touch Display, FM Radio, USB 2

Mach Speed Eclipse Touch Pro 4GB MP3 / Video Player, 2.4 Touch Display, FM Radio, USB 2.0, Cobalt The Mach Speed Eclipse Touch Pro 4GB Cobalt MP3 / Vi...
Adorama

Mach Speed 4GB 180G2 Flash MP3 Player - Red (ECL180G2RD)

Mach Speed 4GB 180G2 Flash MP3 Player - Red (ECL180G2RD)

Find portable mp3 players at Target.com! Listen to your tunes on the go with this mach speed eclipse 180g2 series video mp3 player that features 4gb* ...

Mach Speed Eclipse Touch Pro 4GB MP3 / Video Player, 2.4 Touch Display, FM Radio, USB 2.0, Lilac The Mach Speed Eclipse Touch Pro 4GB Lilac MP3 / Vide...
Adorama

Mach Speed - Eclipse Supra Fit 4GB MP3 / Video Player, 2.8 Touch Display, Bluetooth, FM R

Mach Speed Eclipse Supra Fit 4GB MP3 / Video Player, 2.8 Touch Display, Bluetooth, FM Radio, 3.5mm Audio Headphone Jack, USB2.0, Pink The Mach Speed E...
Adorama

Mach Speed - Eclipse Supra Fit 4GB MP3/Video Player - Black, iPods & Audio (MP3) Players

Mach Speed Eclipse Supra Fit 4GB MP3/Video Player - Black