Pros: Inexpensive, easy to use, easy to clean.
Cons: Makes some noise, but no big deal.
There is a woman who often brings in for lunch her leftover fish meal from the night before. She warms it up in the "community" microwave and she ends up stinking up the whole place. Phew! It smells bad!
Well, for reasons like this, and because people tend to be real slobs when cleaning up after themselves when using the public microwave, and just for convenience, I decided long ago to buy my own office microwave. Mine is private. It is mine to use alone! No stinking fish allowed!
That may sound selfish, but I had my own personal Emerson microwave on my desk for nearly 20 years and it worked fine all during that time. I just recently decided to update it to a new one since some of the paint inside is chipping, and there is rust on the door. I found this brand new Magic Chef microwave oven demo model on sale at Lowes for only $25.
The microwave is very small. The cooking area volume is less than a cubic foot. It weighs only about 25 pounds. It is also very simple in design. It has two old-fashioned knobs in the front as operating controls. Simply turn the top dial onto the cook position, then use the bottom dial to select the time (up to 35 minutes) you wish to cook your meal. You simply pull the door open, stick your meal on the turntable inside, then turn the dials and wait for lunch! It is so easy to use!
My microwave oven is white. It has a small window in front that you can peer through, but truthfully, there is not much to see, so I rarely look into it. It has a three foot long, sturdy grounded power cord, which is plenty long enough for my table, where I put my microwave.
When put into operation, it is very quiet, however, if the turntable is not sitting perfectly, it tends to rattle a bit. It is no big deal, and it is easy to rectify and it does not harm the unit in any known way. I can't understand why they even put a turn table in such a small unit? It really is not needed.
As for cooking, it is fine for warming up simple meals or left overs. It has 700 Watts of power, which is plenty for such a small unit. It would probably not be appropriate as a main microwave for a big family. It looks to be more of a food warmer than anything else. You can't fit a turkey in it or anything big like that.
One thing I would like to warn of: If getting an office microwave, make sure you existing outlets can handle the power! In one office, the building security banned use of all personal microwave ovens since they were deemed the cause of several local power outages, due to the high wattage threw the circuit breakers off.
Maintaining the oven is a breeze! I clean it off with a paper towel and some all purpose cleaner spray. It still looks shiney new afer 3 months of constant use. The walls inside the unit are all relatively smooth, so it is easy to wipe down.
Of course there are a few safety things to consider: First, make sure you always use microwave safe containers! Do not use a container that will melt, are metal that will arc sparks. Also, make sure the door is closed tightly when in use as you probably do not want to cook your brains with escaped microwaves. Finally, try not to spill anything inside of the motor area of the unit.
I would highly recommend this microwave oven for someone who wishes to warm up a simple meal each day. It is not very expensive, but it looks nice in my office. Magic Chef (a division of Maytag) is a reputable company known for making quality products. You can pick up one of these microwaves at pretty much any appliance store that sells Magic Chef products. Thanks for reading my review and best wishes for a nice day!