Mapleine Imitation Maple Flavor

Mapleine Imitation Maple Flavor

Mar 25, 2008

Pros: McCormick continues to distribute Crescent Mapleine, on a limited basis.

Cons:none noted

The Bottom Line: One small 2 oz bottle will create 24 PINTS of table syrup. Maple flavoring can be used in a wide variety of old fashioned recipes.

Pancakes for supper was a now and then treat for my family when I was a child. I realize today it was likely an ‘end of money waiting for the next pay check meal’. Both of my parents lived through the ‘Great Depression’, worked hard, complained rarely and knew how to make do with little to darn near nothing.

The little bottle of ‘syrup stuff’ that mom paid about .35 to buy was taken out of the cupboard each time she made pancakes. That little bottle was a wonder to my sisters and myself. A pan of boiling water, some sugar, a dab of ‘syrup stuff’ and voila, in minutes we had our very own big pan of maple syrup to pour over the pancakes. It was delicious, and homey.

My sisters and I felt secure on cold winter evenings as the rain pounded while we dug into Mama’s pancakes and that good maple syrup. I think my sisters and I were each pretty near grown before we realized syrup came ‘ready made’, was sold at the store in bottles and log cabins and the Mapleine Imitation Maple Flavor was just that, Imitation Maple Flavor. It wasn’t and isn’t bad, but it isn’t maple syrup.

========================

TO USE
Each batch of syrup requires 2C sugar, 1C water .5 tsp of Mapleine flavoring.

The directions on the package are: pour 1 C boiling water over sugar, and then add the flavoring. Mom generally set the water and the sugar to boil together and then added the flavoring, a scant capful. Mom did have measuring spoons, however, she did not often use them; caps of bottles were utilized.

The boiling syrup is quite thin, I stirred many a pan of syrup as Mom cooked the pancakes. The syrup thickens up a tad as it cools to an eatable temperature. As with other syrups, the syrup produced by using sugar and flavoring will burn the tongue if used at the boil stage.

======================

Mapleine is a maple flavoring meant to be used in cooking or for making waffle and pancake syrup. It is a man made product, not precisely a flavor extract as is found in almond, coconut or strawberry flavorings, but is a good item to have on hand on the pantry baking supply shelf. The flavoring can be used in a wide variety of old fashioned recipes. One 2 oz bottle will create 24 PINTS of table syrup.

I have not seen Mapeleine for a long time, although some Wal Marts are said to still carry it. I did recently check my own Wal Mart seasoning/flavoring aisle and did not see Mapeleine there.

The flavoring continues to be produced, and can be ordered online from several sites including Amazon.com.
===============================

Nutritional Information
This gluten free product has no significant nutritional value

=====================
Crescent Foods Inc. is a Seattle, Wa., - based spice and seasoning firm which began in 1883. It was then the Crescent Manufacturing Company -- known chiefly as a supplier of vanilla extract.

After the discovery of gold on the Klondike River in Canada in 1897, the company expanded quickly by selling a spice-and-preservation packet popular with the gold seekers.

In 1905, Crescent struck gold itself when a company chemist and salesman concocted an imitation maple flavoring hailed as Mapleine. Mapleine soon won a worldwide market and significantly extended Crescent's capacity.

The McCormick Company continues to make Crescent Mapleine. If you should want the product and cannot locate it at your local store Mapleine can be purchased online at Hometown Favorites. The likelihood that Mapleine will become stocked at your local store may depend on customer requests for it. Often when a particular item is requested, ongoing, by a number of consumers; merchandizers begin to stock shelves with the item. The proverbial sqeaking wheel does often get greased.

According to the McCormick Company website: Crescent Mapleine may also be purchased directly from McCormick Company by calling their mail order number at (800) 474-7742.

I do intend to order Crescent Mapleine from Amazon, not so much to make up a batch of syrup as to have the flavoring on hand in my pantry for use in recipes.

===============================

Nutritional Information
This product has no significant nutritional value

=====================
One favorite recipe often served when I was a child is a delicious Maple Pecan Cake.

Old Fashioned Maple Pecan Cake

2 large eggs
1 C milk
2.5 C flour
1 C chopped pecans

Cream butter, sugar and Mapleine.
Add milk, eggs & flour to creamed mixture.
Fold in pecans.

Bake in greased tube pan 45-50 min. at 350⁰.

ICING:
1 box powdered sugar
2 T melted butter
1 T Mapleine and enough milk to bring the sugar to spreadable consistency.

=========================

Crescent Mapleine is a man made product, a maple flavoring intended to be used in cooking as well as for homemakers to us in creating their own fresh waffle and pancake syrup.

Not a flavor extract as is found in the various flavoring available such as almond, coconut, lemon or strawberry flavorings, Crescent Mapleine is a handy item to have on hand on the pantry baking supply shelf.

One small 2 oz bottle will create 24 PINTS of table syrup. Maple flavoring can be used in a wide variety of old fashioned recipes. Happy to recommend.

=============================
Reviewed by Molly’s Reviews
molly martin
=============================

Product DETAILS AND SHIPPING INFORMATION from Amazon Site
Dimensions: 2.3 pounds
Shipping Weight: 2.9 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
ASIN: B0002BQLLO.
Makes 24 pts Mapleine Flavored Syrup
Great on pancakes, ice cream
Packaged: 6/2 oz bottles

$21.00 Available in multi pack Amazon

www.shopfoodex.com often carries items not found elsewhere

============================
Mapleine was Crescent Foods Inc.’s signature manufactured product for much of the twentieth century. Cash-strapped housewives kept it in the pantry as a replacement for the more expensive maple syrup during the Depression of the 1930s, and it continued in popularity with home cooks and bakers for many years following those bleak days.

I find it interesting to discover, the product was used as well as, as a flavoring agent in commercial cigarette manufacturing.

Crescent promoted Mapleine along with other products by producing small cookbooks, with titles such as Mapleine Dainties: How to Make Them, A Guide to Spices: How to Buy Them, Store Them, Use Them, and Pickles and Relishes.
In 1989, McCormick & Company, Inc., based in Baltimore, Maryland bought Crescent Foods Inc. Crescent Foods consolidated its three Seattle-area facilities (including a factory, laboratory, and warehouse) in 1990 into a single 105,000-square-foot entity in a Kent office park.

McCormick continues to distribute what is today called Crescent Mapleine, on a limited basis.

M

Mapleine Imitation Maple 4 Bottles 2oz Mapeline

Mapleine Imitation Maple 4 Bottles 2oz Mapeline

Mapleine is a maple flavoring meant to be used in a wide variety of old fashioned recipes or for making waffle and pancake syrup.4 Bottles of Mapleine...

Mapleine Imitation Maple 2oz Bottle Mapeline

Mapleine Imitation Maple 2oz Bottle Mapeline

Mapleine is a maple flavoring meant to be used in a wide variety of old fashioned recipes or for making waffle and pancake syrup.Mapleine Imitation Ma...

Mapleine Imitation Maple 2 Bottles 2oz Mapeline For Home Made Maple Syrup

Mapleine Imitation Maple 2 Bottles 2oz Mapeline For Home Made Maple Syrup

Mapleine is a maple flavoring meant to be used in a wide variety of old fashioned recipes or for making waffle and pancake syrup.2 Bottles of Mapleine...