Margaritaville DM2000 4-Speeds Blender Reviews

Margaritaville DM2000 4-Speeds Blender

Neat little machine...great for a party.

Aug 12, 2008 (Updated Aug 18, 2008)

Pros:Large capacity ice bin (over DM1000) Ease of use Fun at parties

Cons:Expensive

The Bottom Line: If you want great frozen drinks and a conversation piece at your next party...by it.

I actually purchased the Margarita Frozen Concoction Maker DM2100 which is the exact same as the DM2000 model except that the trim color is white instead of red. I purchased the DM2100 at Williams-Sonoma. I liked the appearance of the white trim much better and when the sales clerk told me that it came with a free extra container, I was sold.

Upon unpacking the FCM (Frozen Concoction Maker), I was impressed by how nice it looked. The FCM has sleek lines and with the brushed metal finish, you can easily leave it on the counter and it is not an eyesore.

Inside the box, there was the FCM, a shot glass (to measure portions I guess), an aluminum tin that is used for salting glass rims, 4 cardboard coasters and an instruction manual.

I took the top assembly apart to clean it before the first use. First the top ice bin lid is popped off. It removes completely from the base of the ice bin. Next, the bottom portion of the clear ice bin was removed. This left the ice shaving mechanism exposed. One of the key differences in this model over the DM1000 is that the three pronged ice rotator is metal whereas the DM1000 has a plastic one. Next the plastic bowl is removed that contains the blade assembly.

It was all easy to remove and reassemble. They do recommend that you remove, clean and dry the assembly after use. I'm not sure if this is to help keep the blade in tip-top shape or for overall cleanliness of the machine but I think it would be prudent to clean the FCM each day that it is used.

Another key difference between the 1000 and 2000 series is that the base of the DM2000 is metal whereas the base of the DM100 is plastic.

The motor of the DM2000 & DM2100 is rated at 550 watts. This is a bit more powerful than the 500 watts of the DM1000. I have seen some reviews say that the DM2000 has a 700 watt motor but everywhere I checked, all DM2000 motors are 550 watts.

The FMC comes with a nice glass container (blender). The free one from Williams-Sonoma was a plastic version which is okay because if I want to take it down by the pool...the plastic one is perfect since I don't want to have any broken glass around. You can buy an additional glass container online for around $45.

The power cord is stored and concealed in the bottom rear of the machine. A small door is popped off revealing the cord.

If you will store the FCM on your counter under cabinets, keep in mind of the height. With the ice bin attached, the height is around 19.5". With the ice bin removed, it is approximately 16" tall. I think I will store it on the counter with the ice bin removed so that I can use it as a blender. When I want to make some drinks or use the shaving feature, I will just pull it out and attach the ice bin.

A side note on the DM1000. If you don't want to spend the $380.00 on the DM2000. You can purchase the DM1000 and later add a larger ice bin and get and extra container (blender) for around $65. I believe it ends up being the same capacity as the DM2000 then. The only thing you won't get is the more powerful motor and better metal parts.

There is also a carrying case available for this model. The one that is usually offered out there will only fit the DM1000. I found a case specifically for the DM2000 (Fiji model) at margaritavillecargo.com for $39.95

I have yet to use the FCM but will update the review once I do this weekend.

Okay...I tried it out and it works as I thought. It was great. I did have to tinker with the drink mixes a bit but it will be easy to perfect. I also used it to shave a bunch of plain ice for snowcones for the kids. One thing that is nice to use for the mixes is the frozen bacardi mixes. I found them near the frozen juice in my grocery store.

Since the pictures available of the FCM available are not too detailed, I took pictures of the FCM and it's parts so you can get a good look for yourself. I even included the travel bag. They are uplaoded on photobucket at the following link http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/cubsfan970/margaritaville/

Create the perfect margarita by simply measuring the ingredients and ice, then flipping a switch. Housed in stylish brushed and polished stainless-ste...

Color: Red Features: Commercially UL approved with 550 watts of power and grounded three-prong plug Automatically mixes the right proportion of ice wi...