Marie Callender's Lemon Meringue Pie Reviews

Marie Callender's Lemon Meringue Pie

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Marie Callender's Thaw and Serve Lemon Meringue Pie - Falls Short of Homemade

Apr 2, 2013

Pros:A handy, no-bake sweet treat.

Cons:Overly foamy meringue and firm crust.

The Bottom Line: Marie Callender's Thaw and Serve Lemon Meringue Pie is a no-bake solution to having a sweet treat but falls short of homemade.

Marie Callender's Thaw and Serve Lemon Meringue Pie satisfies a taste for a treat but falls short of homemade.

In 1948 Marie Callender started baking pies from scratch for area restaurants.  Using the finest ingredients, Marie and her pies began to receive recognition.  Before long she opened a restaurant of her own offering her delicious pies and homemade meals.  Soon she opened other restaurants across the West.  There are currently restaurants in Texas, California, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and Utah.

The Marie Callender Thaw & Serve Pies are one of the latest additions to her line of frozen pies and meals.  The other flavors available in the Thaw and Serve line are Banana Cream Pie, Chocolate Satin Pie, Coconut Cream Pie, I Love Chocolate Cream Pie, Key Lime Pie and Turtle Pie.

The Marie Callender Thaw and Serve Lemon Meringue Pie contains a browned meringue, a creamy sweet/tart lemon filling and a slightly sweet crust.  There are times when you have a taste for something sweet and don’t want to bake.  Marie Callender has solved that problem for you.

Food Safety and Quality Warnings:

Do not microwave.  Keep frozen until ready to use.  Do not refreeze if completely thawed.  Cover and refrigerate unused portions up to 3 days if thawed.

Thaw the entire pie or a slice by following the directions on the package.

Ingredients:

Water, Sugar, Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Modified Corn Starch, Egg Yolks, Milk, Corn Starch, Carob Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Agar-Agar, Salt, Egg Whites, Dextrose, Sodium Phosphate, Lemon Oil, Guar Gum, Cream of Tartar, Artificial Flavor, Sodium Metabisulfate

Nutrition Facts:

You will find that most of Marie Callender’s products do not spare the Fat, Sugar or Sodium.  We limit our purchases of her products for a special treat.

Serving Size – 1/9 pie (9 servings per container) – Calories – 320. Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 2g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 200mg, Potassium, 70mg, Total Carbohydrates 55g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 34g), Protein 2g

My Opinion

When the pie is eaten as a full bite of all three layers, it’s quite tasty and fills that need for a special treat.  Here’s my opinion of each layer compared to what Callender’s has printed on the box.  Please note that I am comparing the thawed pie to a homemade pie; and therefore I will be more critical than usual!

Meringue:   “Our ‘sky high’ golden brown meringue” – The browned top of the meringue is slightly firm but tender.  The meringue beneath has practically no “mouth-feel” at all.  It is extremely foamy with very little consistency.  The taste is sweet and what you would expect from a meringue; but it’s the airiest meringue I have ever seen or tasted.

Lemon Filling:  “…a creamy lemon filling loaded with the wonderful flavor of pure lemon.” – The lemon filling is creamy, sweet/tart and satisfying.  I personally think it could be a little tarter.

Crust:  “…all in our famous flaky pie crust.”  It could be that the freezing and thawing process compacts the crust; but it is definitely not flaky.  It is quite firm.  While most thawed pie fillings will soften the crust after a day or two, this crust remains dry.  I think the crust could be a little thinner, much flakier and maybe just a touch sweeter.

My husband’s opinion, on the other hand, is that the pie is very good except for the firm crust.  I doubt, however, that he is comparing it to his late Mother’s (or my) homemade creations!

Regardless, we still purchase the Thaw and Serve Lemon Meringue Pie when I'm not in the mood for baking.  It does satisfy that urge for a sweet treat.

Thank you for stopping by and reading my review.

Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie Style Soup 14.75 Oz. (4 Pack)

Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie Style Soup 14.75 Oz. (4 Pack)

4 Cans - 14.75 Ounce Each Cans. Delicious Chicken Pot Pie Style Soup. Delicious by itself or pour over biscuits or baked potatoes for a whole new expe...
Marie Callenders All Purpose Biscuit Mix All Natural 7oz 3 Pack

Marie Callenders All Purpose Biscuit Mix All Natural 7oz 3 Pack

Marie Callenders all purpose BISCUIT mix All Natural 7oz With each order you will receive three bags

Marie Callenders Organic Corn Bread Mix (12x16oz)

Marie Callenders Organic Corn Bread Mix (12x16oz)

Enjoy Marie Callenders Organic Corn Bread Mix. Home Baked Goodness. Just Add Water. No Hydrogenated Oils. Certified Organic By G.O.C.A. Usda Organic. ...
Abestrix

Marie Callenders All Purpose Biscuit Mix All Natural 7oz 6 Pack

Marie Callenders All Purpose Biscuit Mix All Natural 7oz 6 Pack

Marie Callenders all purpose BISCUIT mix All Natural 7oz With each order you will receive six bags

Marie Callender's Chicken & Dumplings Soup 15 Oz. Can (Pack of 4)

Marie Callender's Chicken & Dumplings Soup 15 Oz. Can (Pack of 4)

Marie Callender's Chicken & Dumplings Soup. 4 Cans - 15 Ounces Each Can. Delicious by itself or poured over a bowl of mashed potatoes, sprinkled with ...
Flavor Drops, Lemon Meringue Pie

Flavor Drops, Lemon Meringue Pie

Capella Flavor Drops Capella Flavor Drops are a highly concentrated flavoring without any sweeteners, fats, calories, or sodium. Due to the concentrat...
Netrition.com

Marie Callender's Low Fat Honey Butter Corn Bread Bites, 6oz. (Pack of 2)

Marie Callender's Low Fat Honey Butter Corn Bread Bites, 6oz. (Pack of 2)

The legendary flavor of our warm cornbread with honey butter spread is mirrored in Marie Callender's Honey Butter Corn Bread Bites. Use them as party ...
4 Marie Callender's Corn Bread Muffin Mix - 7 Oz. Bags Ea. No Trans Fat Or Msg

4 Marie Callender's Corn Bread Muffin Mix - 7 Oz. Bags Ea. No Trans Fat Or Msg

You are buying 4 Brand New bags of Marie Callender's All Natural Corn Bread Muffin Mix - 7 oz. each for a total of 28 oz. (1.75 lbs.) The packaging st...