-15%
Mars #02347 6.2OZ Large Dog Dentastix (Mars) Reviews

Mars #02347 6.2OZ Large Dog Dentastix (Mars)

Epinions Product Rating: OK

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

Pedigree DentaStix..............Not For Every Dog

Sep 7, 2007 (Updated Sep 8, 2007)

Pros:Good doggy flavor. Unique shape helps clean teeth.

Cons:Gives Evie the runs. Where are the potatoes? Does contain wheat after all.

The Bottom Line: DentaStix are probably fine for most dogs. For dogs allergic to wheat these treats should be taboo. The omission of "wheat" on the package's ingredient list is a serious lapse.

Finding a suitable snack that contains no wheat isn’t easy; at least in the world of dog snacks it isn’t. While browsing the pet aisle in the local supermarket I noticed that the first ingredient listed on the bag of Pedigree DentaStix is rice flour, the second is starch with no mention of wheat anywhere on the packaging. Even though we haven’t had much luck in the past with so-called dental chews, I thought these might be worth a try.
The mustard brown colored DentaStix come in two sizes, the larger one seven inches in length, the smaller one about 3.5 inches in length. We purchased both.

What It Is

DentaStix is described as an oral care snack food. Given to a dog daily, it’ unique “X” shape enables it to clean teeth to the gum line. Pedigree’s tasty treat “ is clinically proven to reduce plaque and tartar buildup. Dogs love its delicious flavor.”
The large sticks (seven in a bag) are suitable for medium and large dogs and not appropriate for dogs less than 22 pounds. The smaller snack is designed for pets between 10 and 22 pounds.
Fresh drinking water should always be available for your pet when feeding him or her this snack.

Ingredients: INGREDIENTS
RICE FLOUR, WHEAT STARCH, GLYCERIN, CALCIUM CARBONATE, GELATIN, GUM ARABIC, CELLULOSE POWDER, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, POTASSIUM SORBATE (A PRESERVATIVE), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], FOLIC ACID), SMOKE FLAVOR, TURMERIC, IRON OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE.
METABOLIZABLE ENERGY:
70 kcal per stick
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein (Min.) 8.0%
Crude Fat (Min.) 1.0%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 4.5%
Moisture (Max.) 18.0%

Our Experience

To access the snacks, the pet's parent cuts the dog along the dotted line at the top of the plastic bag and uses the attached recloseable tab to keep the bag sealed. We prefer a zip lock bag for storage and freshness.

Since Evie and Piper are both under 22 pounds, I cut the large size stick in half before treat time. It was easy to score it with a knife about a quarter of an inch and then snap it in half cleanly. Cutting one of these completely through with a knife would be an arduous chore.

Both Evie and Piper showed immediate interest in the DentaStix and took them eagerly. They each ate their snack quickly and with gusto. I’m sure Pedigree would like pet owners to use these treats daily. They’d make a bundle and pet owners would spend a bundle. We presented the DentaStix to our dogs two or three times a week. With two dogs and the ever present Bella (my daughter’s dog) a daily regimen of these treats would be prohibitively expensive.

It would seem we had discovered a great low fat treat for our pooches, a treat they enjoyed, that cleaned their teeth, and that contained no wheat. It’s even fortified with vitamins. Perfect? Maybe. Maybe not.

Evie started getting me up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, sometimes once a night, sometimes two or three times. It was no fun for either one of us. This didn’t happen every night, only two or three times a week. Mrs. Spudman suspected the DentaStix, but I poo pooed her suspicion. There didn’t seem to be anything in there to cause diarrhea, and Piper wasn’t affected.
Just to humor her, we withheld the DentaStix for about a week and then introduced them. For a week Evie slept through the night with no loose bowels. On the night the treats were introduced she got me up at two in the morning to go to the bathroom outside. She then got me up again very early in the morning. After a three-day hiatus the treats were given to the girls with the same “outcome.” That did it. No more Pedigree treats for Evie.

Piper and Bella eat the Pedigree treats with no negative side effects. On several pet discussion sites, I’ve read that pet owners have used this treat successfully to relieve their pet’s diarrhea. They attribute the results to the high rice content. Oddly these things have the opposite effect on Evie. As for the teeth cleaning properties, I can’t say how effective the DentaStix clean the teeth because we never used them as a daily snack.
Should you try DentaStix? I won't buy them again for any dog. What I thought is a wheat free product actually has Wheat starch listed as the second product everywhere but on the packages I purchased. I feel foolish, betrayed, and a bit angry.

Also mentioned on the product's bag is that this snack was Made in Thailand.

For strong healthy teeth for life! Clinically proven To reduce plaque And tartar build-up. Cleans between the teeth down To the gumline To help keep y...
Dentastix Dog Treat 6 oz. 18 Count Bag Unique X shape and special texture help clean between teeth and down to the gum line. A delicious and convenien...