Mattel Tyco R/C TMH Tony Hawk Skateboard 27 MHz Reviews

Mattel Tyco R/C TMH Tony Hawk Skateboard 27 MHz

Your Very Own Tony Hawk!

Oct 21, 2003

Pros:Easy for a child to control

Cons:Large, does not work well on carpet, Flexpack needed

The Bottom Line: An expensive, but fun remote control skateboarding toy that is easily maneuvered.

My son received this Tony Hawk Skateboard remote control toy from a friend as a hand-me-down. I have seen this priced anywhere from $60 to $90, and I know that I would never have paid that much for it. If your child is interested in skateboarding or Tony Hawk himself, then this might be a good toy to purchase. I would say that the likeness of this figure to the real Tony Hawk is good since my son is not that interested specifically in skateboarding, but is very interested in sports as a whole and he knew right away that this was Tony Hawk.

This Mattel Tony Hawk remote control toy is fairly large, being about 15 inches tall and with the skateboard measuring about 14 inches in length. Tony is dressed in khaki pants, a red shirt with "Birdhouse" written on it, and sneakers, and to his credit, is safely outfitted with a blue helmet and black elbow pads. The shirt is an actual shirt, but the pants are painted plastic, and the toy has the appearance that he has knee pads on underneath. Tony is not removable from the skateboard and has his knees in a bent position with his arms outstretched.

This toy itself can be expensive, but do not forget that you have to power it. Even if you find it on sale, you will have to add in the cost of a 9 volt battery and the Tyco Remote Control Flexpak Battery Pack, at additional cost of about $30.

The remote control is mostly black, with two small green "joysticks" on the top and two buttons to press on the underside. Though we were not given the instruction booklet along with the toy, my six year old son soon was able to figure out that the two top joysticks are used to turn the wheels of the skateboard, while the buttons underneath are used to control Tony himself by making him swivel at the waist. You can make the skateboard go forward or backward, and by turning the wheels, around in a circular motion.

If the toy falls over during use, you can move the figure with the remote control to get him upright again. By pressing the buttons on the remote, Tony's waist swivels, and since his arms are in an outstretched position, he is able to usually get himself upright again. I do not know if my son has more fun making Tony fall over or getting him to jump to an upright position afterward.

The only drawback to this remote control toy is that it needs to be used on a flat surface. Concrete, wood, tile or a very low pile carpet work best. Although my son does use it on his bedroom carpet, it does not run as smoothly as it does on a flatter surface.

The Tony Hawk Skateboard has proven to be a durable toy. We received it second-hand and it was in perfect condition at that time, and in the few months that we have owned, and played, with it, it has not broken or had any problems. It is recommended for ages 8 to 14, but my six year old has no problems controlling it. This toy would be good for any child interested in skateboarding, or one who likes remote control vehicles and wants something different from the basic cars or trucks on the market.

Amount Paid (US$): gift
Type of Toy: Radio Control
Age Range of Child: 6 to 8 Years

Tyco R/c Tmh Flexpack Rechargeable Battery W/charger Mattel Wheels Free Ship

Tyco R/c Tmh Flexpack Rechargeable Battery W/charger Mattel Wheels Free Ship

UP FOR SALE NEW IN PACKAGE - TYCO R/C TMH NIMH FLEXPAK BATTERY AND CHARGER FREE US PRIORITY MAIL SHIPPING!

Tyco R/c Flexpak Tmh Rechargeable Battery Pack With 4 Hour Quick Charger

Tyco R/c Flexpak Tmh Rechargeable Battery Pack With 4 Hour Quick Charger

FOR SALE NEW(SEALED)TYCO R/C FLEXPAK TMH Rechargeable Battery PACK WITH 4 HOUR QUICK CHARGER .FO R MORE INFO PLEASE EMAIL ME. WE STRIVE FOR EXCELLENT ...