Maybelline Lash Stiletto Length Mascara Very Black (B001Q854GK) Reviews

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Length Mascara Very Black (B001Q854GK)

Strap on your stilettos but don't step out with this mascara: Maybelline Lash Stiletto

Nov 4, 2009 (Updated Nov 4, 2009)

Pros:Does a good job of darkening and defining lashes; wears well

Cons:didn't lengthen; wand/brush too long

The Bottom Line: If you're looking for a lengthening mascara, skip this!

On a recent busy morning I noticed when I looked in the rear view mirror that I'd left the house without mascara. Oh horrors! I can skip eye shadow, but without mascara I feel naked. I made a quick stop at Walgreen's and picked up the first mascara I saw.  That happened to be Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara.

Product Details

This mascara comes in a long black tube that sort of resembles a stiletto heel - skinnier on one end with a red band and thicker on the other end.  I guess I should have paid closer attention to this. I generally dislike long wands on mascara, as well as big brushes, and this one has both. The wand is 5 inches long, including the brush which is 1.25 inches long. Compare that to 4.75 inches and a 1 inch brush for my favorite Cover Girl LashBlast Mascara. While it may not sound like a huge difference, it is for me.

The brush is nothing new or special. In the pictures it is shown as red, but don't mistake it a new rubber style brush.  It is your typical bristle type mascara brush, a bit more narrow at the tip than at the other end. Maybelline calls it a Grip & Extend brush designed to grasp each and every lash and coat them from every angle.

This mascara, as indicated by its name, is a lengthening mascara. Or so Maybelline says. It is made with an elastic formula and also contains Pro-Vitamin B-5 to condition and add shine to your lashes.

It is available in 3 shades: Very Black, Soft Black, and Brownish Black.

My experiences

As I applied this for the first time in the car, I was a bit concerned. The first coat did nothing but darken my lashes. They started to look better with a second coat, but I still wasn't seeing any additional length. With a third coat they finally looked acceptable, but I wouldn't say it added lots of length. They were well defined, very black, and a bit shiny. But that shininess I think was attributable to this mascara being a very wet mascara and one that took a long time to dry. Later on in the day they didn't look so shiny, although the blackness and definition was still there. In fact, Maybelline Lash Stiletto does wear very well without any flaking.  It also washes off easily

But I'm not in love with this mascara for a number of reasons. First is the darned wand. It's too long for me and I often poke my eye with it. Plus it takes too long to dry and I often have to clean off mascara around my eyes. The brush itself is pretty average. It does grip well and separate the lashes so they're not clumped. But my preference is toward a smaller brush and wand that are easier to handle.

As for the lengthening claims, I'm just not buying it. My take on Lash Stiletto is this: it does a great job of coating each and every lash. But it doesn't add volume. It's sort of an optical allusion. It gives you dark skinny lashes which appear to be long, but it doesn't have any lash building fiber that actually lengthens them.

Overall rating

Maybelline Lash Stiletto is an average mascara. It certainly does a good job of defining lashes. But it really brings nothing new to the table. If you're blessed with good long lashes (as I am) you might actually get decent results. But if you're looking for a true lengthening mascara, this isn't it. I'm only giving it 2 stars since it doesn't do what it advertises.

My first contribution to Lean-N-Mean VIII this year!

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara - Soft Black -

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara - Soft Black -

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara - Soft Black ~New~ Seductive Length Shiny Patent Finish Strengthens Conditions Grip Extend Brush Wash...

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara Bonus Liner Soft Black

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara Bonus Liner Soft Black

Buy Maybelline Mascaras - Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara with Bonus Liner 05 Soft Black
Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara Soft Black 955 2 Lot

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara Soft Black 955 2 Lot

MAYBELLINE LASH STILETTO ULTIMATE LENGTH MASCARA SOFT BLACK 955 2 Lot

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Waterproof Mascara - Very Black - 0.22 oz

Find cosmetics at Target.com! The only mascara that does for lashes what stilettos do for legs. The maybelline new york lash stiletto ultimate length ...

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Length Mascara 04 Brown Black + Cream Shadow

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Length Mascara 04 Brown Black + Cream Shadow

Buy Maybelline Mascaras - Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara Special Value 04 Brown Black Mascara + Starlet Sable Accenting Cream Shadow
Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara, Waterproof, Very Black

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara, Waterproof, Very Black

CHECK OUT OUR EBAY STORE Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara, Waterproof, Very Black Details The Grip Extend brush grasps each lash and c...

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara 951 Very Black

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara 951 Very Black

This is lash lengthening mascara from Maybelline. Color of this mascara is 951 very black. Size is 0.22 fl oz (6.5ml). This is sealed in packaging. PU...
Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara, Very Black, 1 Each

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara, Very Black, 1 Each

CHECK OUT OUR EBAY STORE Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara, Very Black, 1 each Details Strengthens conditions your lashes. Grip extend ...

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara Bonus Liner Brownish Black

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara Bonus Liner Brownish Black

Buy Maybelline Mascaras - Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara with Bonus Liner 952 Brownish Black
Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara 955 Soft Black Pack Of 2

Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara 955 Soft Black Pack Of 2

New and sealed Pack of 2 Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Washable Mascara pro-vit b5 formula Shade -955 soft black Payments: Please pay withi...