Mayflower Brewing Porter

Pourter Me One: Mayflower Porter

Jan 20, 2012

Pros:Rich and chocolaty yet smooth and drinkable.

Cons:Hard to find.

The Bottom Line: I wish I could buy this in Georgia.

I suppose that it’s only fitting that on this, Thanksgiving weekend, I’m sipping a bottle of Mayflower Porter. I’ve been eating turkey and stuffing and carrots and turnips and mashed potatoes and pickles and olives and pumpkin pie and (you get the idea) since Thursday, and it’s all because of those wonderful pilgrims. You see, way back in 1620, the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock and began the saga that gave us Thanksgiving.

Now, I know conventional wisdom says they landed here to get to Foxboro early for good seats at a Patriots game, but I assure you, that’s just not true. In point of fact, the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. I kid you not, and lest you doubt me, you can just read your bottle of Mayflower Porter for this quote of Governor William Bradford (who just happens to be an ancestor of mine):

“We could not now take time for further search or consideration, our victuals being much spent, especially our beer.”

Of course, when the Pilgrims landed, Porter had not yet been invented. That would come about 100 years later, presumably while the Pilgrims were still waiting for the kickoff. Mayflower makes a Thanksgiving Ale that would probably be more apropos to the theme of this review, but when I was in Rhode Island in July the porter was available and the Thanksgiving Ale was not. So sue me.

My bottle of Mayflower Porter was packaged on February 17, 2011 and tastes as good now as it did when I popped my first ever back in July. The beer is made with caramel, Munich, peated (peat smoked?), brown, chocolate, and two row pale malts. It’s hopped with Glacier and (appropriately) Pilgrim hops. Alcohol content is a moderate 5.5% by volume, certainly something even a Puritan would approve of.

Mayflower Porter pours to a jet black color with a very thick and rocky head formation and a soft chocolaty malt nose. The beer is beautiful in appearance and enticing in aroma, and I just can’t help but take a sip. When I do, my palate is delighted by a smooth, creamy body that’s moderate in texture and flows nicely over the tongue. A sinfully dark chocolate flavor quickly emerges, amazingly like the chocolate pudding your mom used to make for you when you were a kid. You know the kind, cooked on the stove then chilled in the fridge until a skin formed on top. In the finish, the beer becomes quite roasty indeed and finishes with a roasty bitterness tinged with a hint of herbal grassy hops.

A hearty robust porter, one the Pilgims would really have enjoyed if they had porter in those days. Lucky for you, it’s available now.

Libbey Craft Brews Porter & Stout Beer Glass Set - 4 Glasses - Bar Pub Drinking

Libbey Craft Brews Porter & Stout Beer Glass Set - 4 Glasses - Bar Pub Drinking

Questions? Give us a call 1-866-235 BEER(2337) ext.140 Libbey Craft Brews Porter Stout Beer Glass Set - 14.75 oz - 4 Pieces Item # 3915S4 If you want ...

Porter Blanchard - Porter Blanchard Chino (Sterling, 1930) Knife-New French/Solid Sterling Handle - Sterling, 1930, Oar Design, Plain
Replacements, Ltd.

Porter Life's About Balance Drinking Glass

Porter Life's About Balance Drinking Glass

This standard size pint glass is easy to stack with existing glasses or to mix and match with new ones. Perfect to commemorate your next event or to u...
Cafepress.com

CafePress PORTER (curve-black) Mug

CafePress PORTER (curve-black) Mug

The perfect size for your favorite morning beverage or late night brew. Large, easy-grip handle. Treat yourself or give as a gift to someone special. ...
CafePress.com

Tracy Porter For Poetic Wanderlust 'Eden Ranch' Mugs (Set of 4)

Tracy Porter For Poetic Wanderlust 'Eden Ranch' Mugs (Set of 4)

Designer Tracy Porter's exuberant use of color enlivens the global-inspired motif of this eye-catching set of earthenware mugs. Color(s): orange. Bran...
Nordstrom

Tracy Porter  WILLOW TWIN COMF

Tracy Porter WILLOW TWIN COMF

Tracy Porter WILLOW TWIN COMF. The Willow Bedding Collection is part of Poetic Wanderlust designed by Tracy Porter which includes an array of rich, co...
Belk

MAYFLOWER CELEBRATION DINNER PLATE

MAYFLOWER CELEBRATION DINNER PLATE

8/Pkg - Measures 9in. The item can't be shipped to HI, AK, PR, AF, AA, AC, AE, AM, AP in the Unite States.

Porter Blanchard - Porter Blanchard Fiddle (Sterling, 1800) Teaspoon - Sterling, 1800, Fiddle Design, Wings
Replacements, Ltd.

Porter Logo Black & White Apron

Porter Logo Black & White Apron

Spice up conversations in the kitchen or around the BBQ with this durable custom apron. Ideal for cooking, baking, grilling or bartending, it's perfec...
Cafepress.com

Tracy Porter Rose Boheme Figural Phoenix Handled Tray

Tracy Porter Rose Boheme Figural Phoenix Handled Tray

Vibrant colors complement the figural phoenix handles of this tray from Tracy Porter.
Macys.com