Mayflower Brewing Porter

Pourter Me One: Mayflower Porter

Jan 20, 2012

Pros:Rich and chocolaty yet smooth and drinkable.

Cons:Hard to find.

The Bottom Line: I wish I could buy this in Georgia.

I suppose that it’s only fitting that on this, Thanksgiving weekend, I’m sipping a bottle of Mayflower Porter. I’ve been eating turkey and stuffing and carrots and turnips and mashed potatoes and pickles and olives and pumpkin pie and (you get the idea) since Thursday, and it’s all because of those wonderful pilgrims. You see, way back in 1620, the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock and began the saga that gave us Thanksgiving.

Now, I know conventional wisdom says they landed here to get to Foxboro early for good seats at a Patriots game, but I assure you, that’s just not true. In point of fact, the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. I kid you not, and lest you doubt me, you can just read your bottle of Mayflower Porter for this quote of Governor William Bradford (who just happens to be an ancestor of mine):

“We could not now take time for further search or consideration, our victuals being much spent, especially our beer.”

Of course, when the Pilgrims landed, Porter had not yet been invented. That would come about 100 years later, presumably while the Pilgrims were still waiting for the kickoff. Mayflower makes a Thanksgiving Ale that would probably be more apropos to the theme of this review, but when I was in Rhode Island in July the porter was available and the Thanksgiving Ale was not. So sue me.

My bottle of Mayflower Porter was packaged on February 17, 2011 and tastes as good now as it did when I popped my first ever back in July. The beer is made with caramel, Munich, peated (peat smoked?), brown, chocolate, and two row pale malts. It’s hopped with Glacier and (appropriately) Pilgrim hops. Alcohol content is a moderate 5.5% by volume, certainly something even a Puritan would approve of.

Mayflower Porter pours to a jet black color with a very thick and rocky head formation and a soft chocolaty malt nose. The beer is beautiful in appearance and enticing in aroma, and I just can’t help but take a sip. When I do, my palate is delighted by a smooth, creamy body that’s moderate in texture and flows nicely over the tongue. A sinfully dark chocolate flavor quickly emerges, amazingly like the chocolate pudding your mom used to make for you when you were a kid. You know the kind, cooked on the stove then chilled in the fridge until a skin formed on top. In the finish, the beer becomes quite roasty indeed and finishes with a roasty bitterness tinged with a hint of herbal grassy hops.

A hearty robust porter, one the Pilgims would really have enjoyed if they had porter in those days. Lucky for you, it’s available now.

True Brew Porter Beer Ingredient Kit

True Brew Porter Beer Ingredient Kit

A full flavored beer with a rich dark color and a medium body that is hoppy but not bitter. True Brew ingredient kits make approximately 5 gallons of ...
Monster Brew Homebrewing Supplies

Libbey Craft Brews Porter & Stout Beer Glass Set - 4 Glasses - Bar Pub Drinking

Libbey Craft Brews Porter & Stout Beer Glass Set - 4 Glasses - Bar Pub Drinking

Questions? Give us a call 1-866-235 BEER(2337) ext.140 Libbey Craft Brews Porter Stout Beer Glass Set - 14.75 oz - 4 Pieces Item # 3915S4 If you want ...

Libbey Craft Brews 14.75-Ounce Clear Porter/Stout Glass Set, 4-Piece

Porter Blanchard - Porter Blanchard Pointed (Sterling, 1800) Fork - Sterling, 1800, Slightly Hammered
Replacements, Ltd.

Tracy Porter For Poetic Wanderlust 'Eden Ranch' Mugs (Set of 4)

Tracy Porter For Poetic Wanderlust 'Eden Ranch' Mugs (Set of 4)

Designer Tracy Porter's exuberant use of color enlivens the global-inspired motif of this eye-catching set of earthenware mugs. Color(s): orange. Bran...
Nordstrom

Mayflower Descendant - Large Mug

Mayflower Descendant - Large Mug

Express yourself with our premium-sized ceramic coffee mug. With its large easy-to-grip handle, steady base, and hefty 15 oz. capacity, this mug allow...
Cafepress.com

Libbey Glass Craft Brews Set w/ Pilsner, English Pub, Belgian Ale, Craft Pub, Porter, Wheat Beer Glass

6 Piece Craft Brews Set includes (1) 15.25 oz Classic Pilsner, (1) 20 oz English Pub, (1) 16.5 oz Belgian Ale, (1) 20 oz Craft Pub, (1) 14.75 oz Porte...
KaTom Restaurant Supply

Porter Blanchard - Porter Blanchard Pointed (Sterling, 1800) Ice Cream Slicer Sterling Large HC - Sterling, 1800, Slightly Hammered
Replacements, Ltd.

Tracy Porter Hand Painted Teapot Rare

Tracy Porter Hand Painted Teapot Rare

tem TP009 Tracy Porter Hand Painted Teapot The Fleur Collection2 pieces Height bottom to rim approx. - 5 inches Diameter approx. - 8 inches Microwave ...