Maytag Neptune MDG5500AW Gas Dryer Reviews

Maytag Neptune MDG5500AW Gas Dryer

Epinions Product Rating: OK

The Wonderful Maytag Neptune Dryer!

Feb 13, 2003 (Updated Feb 13, 2003)

Pros:Lots of handy features; sensor dry; energy-saving; large capacity; display of time remaining

Cons:Expensive

The Bottom Line: If you want a high-quality dryer and you aren't afraid to pay for it, the Maytag Neptune is a great option.

When we moved into our house, my husband and I decided we wanted a good-quality washer and dryer that would last. We ended up with the Maytag Neptunes. We've had them for a year and a half now, so I think it's a good time to let you know how they've held up. I've already reviewed the washer:
Now it's time for the matching dryer!

Why We Picked The Maytag Neptune Dryer, Model MDG5500AWW

We wanted a gas dryer--the hookup was already in place, and it's my understanding that a gas dryer ends up costing less in the long run than an electric dryer.

It has a "sensor dry" mode--which I'll get into in more detail shortly--which means that it'll only dry your clothes until they're done. No more over-baked laundry. No more still-wet clothes. And no more wasting gas or electricity by continuing to dry your clothes after they're done!

The dryer has a large capacity: 6.0 cubic feet, I believe. Every load we've washed has fit into the dryer with room to spare.

It also has lots of spiffy settings which I'll get into in a minute. Okay, so we don't use some of them. But they're still neat. It also looks pretty cool, with that nifty touchpad display. You can even switch the door to the dryer so that it opens from the opposite side, if you want.

The dryer digitally displays the time remaining in the cycle. This is so handy! No more guesswork, wondering when on earth your laundry will be done.

A More Thorough Discussion of Features

Each setting is set through the use of smooth touch-pads, which makes the display easy to clean. They're responsive to touch--we've never had difficulty setting them. There are bright green indicator lights for everything, so it's easy to see whether the features are set the way you want them to be. Settings are kept from one load to the next.

Sensor Dry: The sensor dry function allows the dryer to automatically sense the moisture in the load of clothing, and it will shut off the dryer when the load reaches your selected "dryness level." You can, of course, choose to use a "normal" time dry setting instead, where you tell the dryer how long to run.

Dry Temp: There are four temperature levels you can choose from, from "extra low" to "regular." I always use regular, which is the highest setting, and yet my clothes never come out feeling too hot or "over-baked." (You have no idea how upset the cats are!)

Dryness Level: You can choose from any of five settings from "damp dry" to "very dry." Again, I usually use very dry, and yet my clothes--even the delicate ones--never seem to have been abused the way they often were after a load in the dryer at the apartment building we last lived in. This is a very effective, yet very gentle, dryer.

Note: I find that a full load of wash, done on "regular" until the load is "very dry," can take up to an hour.

Signal: The dryer can signal when it's done (and it gives a 5-minute warning). You can set the volume from quiet to loud.

Estimated Time Display: There's a digital display that estimates the time remaining in the load. Depending on the load, that time may change during the cycle (for instance, sheets always take less time than the dryer thinks they will). The closer the load is to done, the more accurate the "time remaining" is likely to be, we've found. I don't think the dryer has ever under-estimated how much time it would take--it errs on the side of over-estimation, which I like.

Wrinkle Prevent: This adds an extra-long cycle of intermittent tumbling in unheated air to the end of your dryer load to reduce wrinkling. I don't bother, but our house-mate uses this before every business trip.

Wrinkle Release: This is a quick way to smooth out clothing that's been crumpled in a closet or suitcase.

Air Fluff: This is a short cycle designed to "freshen" items that have been sitting in the back of a closet for a couple of years.

The lint filter catches lint well, although you'll want to clean the area around it once in a while.

Handy Manual

The manual is very helpful. It comes with safety tips (never put any cloth that has oil soaked into it in the dryer, even after washing!), clear and easy-to-use instructions, special laundry tips for things like comforters, blankets, curtains, cloth diapers, pillows, plastics, and so on. There are easy care and cleaning instructions, directions for replacing the inside light (which makes it very easy to see what you're doing and whether you've removed all of your laundry), directions for reversing the door, and trouble-shooting instructions. All directions are simple and easy to follow.

The manual also contains all the details of the full one-year warranty, the parts-only second year warranty, and the third-through-fifth-year tumbler and electronic controls warranty. There's also an additional limited warranty against rust-through of the "exterior cabinet, including the door." There are instructions enclosed for taking advantage of warranty service.

We love our dryer!

No longer do our clothes get over-baked. We don't waste resources by drying them too long, and we don't waste our time by going down to check on the load when it's still wet. If we want to see when the load will be done, we just check the display. And those green lights look delightfully evil when the basement lights are off! (Now there's a feature you won't see listed in an ad...)

Only once did I find that the dryer thought a load was done when part of it wasn't, and that's because I was trying to dry things of very different consistencies together (a thick comforter and a bunch of sheets). This dryer has performed flawlessly for a year and a half, and we're still very glad that we purchased it!

Amount Paid (US$): not sure

Brand Maytag Neptune 24 Compact Electric Dryer Mde2400ayw Stainless Drum

Brand Maytag Neptune 24 Compact Electric Dryer Mde2400ayw Stainless Drum

div style=text-align:centerimg src=http://ti2.auctiva.com/sw/java.gif border=0br table align=centertr td a style=text-decoration:none href=http://empo...

Maytag 7.4-cu ft Gas Dryer (Silver) MGDX700XL

Maytag 7.4-cu ft Gas Dryer (Silver) MGDX700XL

Better built to dry your large loads - engineered with Maytag dependability, this dryer is better built to ensure long-lasting performance and durabil...
Lowe's

Maytag MGD6000AW 27 7.4 cu. ft. Gas Steam Dryer with 8 Cycles and 5 Temp. Settings in White MGD6000AW

From America's No.1 preferred laundry brand comes a premium laundry experience that keeps your household's clothes, fabrics and special items ready fo...
HomeClick

Maytag Bravos X High-efficiency 7.4 Cu. Ft. Gas Dryer Granite Mgdx700ag

Maytag Bravos X High-Efficiency 7.4 cu. ft. Gas Dryer Granite Model# MGDX700AG MSRP $999 Approx Dimensions (HxWxD(in))43in x 27in x 29 1/2 in Obsolete...

Maytag Front Load Dryer MGDB950Y

Maytag Front Load Dryer MGDB950Y

Maytag Front Load Dryer MGDB950Y. Advanced Moisture Sensing provides even drying for your large loads.* (*Based on testing of an 18-lb. load.). Every ...
AJ Madison

Maytag Bravos 7.3-cu ft Gas Dryer with Steam Cycles (White) MGDB850YW

Maytag Bravos 7.3-cu ft Gas Dryer with Steam Cycles (White) MGDB850YW

Lowe's

MDG18CSAWW Commercial 27 Gas Dryer with Extra-Large 7.4 cu. ft. Capacity  Mechanical

MDG18CSAWW Commercial 27 Gas Dryer with Extra-Large 7.4 cu. ft. Capacity Mechanical

The Maytag MDG18CSAWW Commercial Gas Super-Capacity Dryer is loaded with features It is Mechanical Coin Slide-Readywith Simple Controlsthat areEasy fo...
AppliancesConnection

Maytag Mgdb850yw 29 Gas Dryer With 7.3 Cu. Ft. Capacity Free Shipping

Maytag Mgdb850yw 29 Gas Dryer With 7.3 Cu. Ft. Capacity Free Shipping

INFO ON THIS ITEM: __________________________________________________ NEW IN BOX ITEM: Maytag Bravos Series MGDB850YW 29 Gas Dryer with 7.3 cu. ft. Ca...

Maytag White Front Load Dryer MGDC200XW

Maytag White Front Load Dryer MGDC200XW

Maytag White Front Load Dryer MGDC200XW. As part of the 4-point Smooth Balance suspension system, Maytag dryers feature sintered rollers made with thi...
AJ Madison