Maytag Neptune MDG5500AW Gas Dryer Reviews

Maytag Neptune MDG5500AW Gas Dryer

Epinions Product Rating: OK

The Wonderful Maytag Neptune Dryer!

Feb 13, 2003 (Updated Feb 13, 2003)

Pros:Lots of handy features; sensor dry; energy-saving; large capacity; display of time remaining

Cons:Expensive

The Bottom Line: If you want a high-quality dryer and you aren't afraid to pay for it, the Maytag Neptune is a great option.

When we moved into our house, my husband and I decided we wanted a good-quality washer and dryer that would last. We ended up with the Maytag Neptunes. We've had them for a year and a half now, so I think it's a good time to let you know how they've held up. I've already reviewed the washer:
Now it's time for the matching dryer!

Why We Picked The Maytag Neptune Dryer, Model MDG5500AWW

We wanted a gas dryer--the hookup was already in place, and it's my understanding that a gas dryer ends up costing less in the long run than an electric dryer.

It has a "sensor dry" mode--which I'll get into in more detail shortly--which means that it'll only dry your clothes until they're done. No more over-baked laundry. No more still-wet clothes. And no more wasting gas or electricity by continuing to dry your clothes after they're done!

The dryer has a large capacity: 6.0 cubic feet, I believe. Every load we've washed has fit into the dryer with room to spare.

It also has lots of spiffy settings which I'll get into in a minute. Okay, so we don't use some of them. But they're still neat. It also looks pretty cool, with that nifty touchpad display. You can even switch the door to the dryer so that it opens from the opposite side, if you want.

The dryer digitally displays the time remaining in the cycle. This is so handy! No more guesswork, wondering when on earth your laundry will be done.

A More Thorough Discussion of Features

Each setting is set through the use of smooth touch-pads, which makes the display easy to clean. They're responsive to touch--we've never had difficulty setting them. There are bright green indicator lights for everything, so it's easy to see whether the features are set the way you want them to be. Settings are kept from one load to the next.

Sensor Dry: The sensor dry function allows the dryer to automatically sense the moisture in the load of clothing, and it will shut off the dryer when the load reaches your selected "dryness level." You can, of course, choose to use a "normal" time dry setting instead, where you tell the dryer how long to run.

Dry Temp: There are four temperature levels you can choose from, from "extra low" to "regular." I always use regular, which is the highest setting, and yet my clothes never come out feeling too hot or "over-baked." (You have no idea how upset the cats are!)

Dryness Level: You can choose from any of five settings from "damp dry" to "very dry." Again, I usually use very dry, and yet my clothes--even the delicate ones--never seem to have been abused the way they often were after a load in the dryer at the apartment building we last lived in. This is a very effective, yet very gentle, dryer.

Note: I find that a full load of wash, done on "regular" until the load is "very dry," can take up to an hour.

Signal: The dryer can signal when it's done (and it gives a 5-minute warning). You can set the volume from quiet to loud.

Estimated Time Display: There's a digital display that estimates the time remaining in the load. Depending on the load, that time may change during the cycle (for instance, sheets always take less time than the dryer thinks they will). The closer the load is to done, the more accurate the "time remaining" is likely to be, we've found. I don't think the dryer has ever under-estimated how much time it would take--it errs on the side of over-estimation, which I like.

Wrinkle Prevent: This adds an extra-long cycle of intermittent tumbling in unheated air to the end of your dryer load to reduce wrinkling. I don't bother, but our house-mate uses this before every business trip.

Wrinkle Release: This is a quick way to smooth out clothing that's been crumpled in a closet or suitcase.

Air Fluff: This is a short cycle designed to "freshen" items that have been sitting in the back of a closet for a couple of years.

The lint filter catches lint well, although you'll want to clean the area around it once in a while.

Handy Manual

The manual is very helpful. It comes with safety tips (never put any cloth that has oil soaked into it in the dryer, even after washing!), clear and easy-to-use instructions, special laundry tips for things like comforters, blankets, curtains, cloth diapers, pillows, plastics, and so on. There are easy care and cleaning instructions, directions for replacing the inside light (which makes it very easy to see what you're doing and whether you've removed all of your laundry), directions for reversing the door, and trouble-shooting instructions. All directions are simple and easy to follow.

The manual also contains all the details of the full one-year warranty, the parts-only second year warranty, and the third-through-fifth-year tumbler and electronic controls warranty. There's also an additional limited warranty against rust-through of the "exterior cabinet, including the door." There are instructions enclosed for taking advantage of warranty service.

We love our dryer!

No longer do our clothes get over-baked. We don't waste resources by drying them too long, and we don't waste our time by going down to check on the load when it's still wet. If we want to see when the load will be done, we just check the display. And those green lights look delightfully evil when the basement lights are off! (Now there's a feature you won't see listed in an ad...)

Only once did I find that the dryer thought a load was done when part of it wasn't, and that's because I was trying to dry things of very different consistencies together (a thick comforter and a bunch of sheets). This dryer has performed flawlessly for a year and a half, and we're still very glad that we purchased it!

Amount Paid (US$): not sure

Stacking Kit For Gas Dryer For Mdg6700 Dryer Maytag Malg027axx

Stacking Kit For Gas Dryer For Mdg6700 Dryer Maytag Malg027axx

NEW IN PACKAGE Stacking Kit for a Gas Dryer Maytag Model MALG027AXX White For MAH6700 Washer and MDG3700 Dryer Only Kits Includes: Stacking support gu...

Brand Stacking Kit For Mdg6700 Gas Dryer Maytag Malg027axx Best Price

Brand Stacking Kit For Mdg6700 Gas Dryer Maytag Malg027axx Best Price

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST PRICE ON eBAY or ANYWHERE ONLINE!!Brand NEW SEALED never taken out of package Color: White Model:MALG027AXX Fits: MDG3700 MDG6700 ...

Maytag MGDB850WL 29 Bravos Gas Dryer in Lunar Silver MGDB850WL

Maytag MGDB850WL 29 Bravos Gas Dryer in Lunar Silver MGDB850WL

Maytag Bravos dryer features longlasting, commercialgrade components for your home. MCT components found in Bravos dryers include the 5rib dryer belt,...
HomeClick

Maytag Neptune Stacking Kit - MALE027AXX (for use w/ Neptune Front Load Washers & Dryers)

Maytag Stacking Kit - MALE027AXX/ Stacking Kit/ Used With Neptune Front Load Washers And Electric Dryers
Brand Maytag Neptune 24 Compact Electric Dryer Mde2400ayw Stainless Drum

Brand Maytag Neptune 24 Compact Electric Dryer Mde2400ayw Stainless Drum

div style=text-align:centerimg src=http://ti2.auctiva.com/sw/java.gif border=0br table align=centertr td a style=text-decoration:none href=http://empo...

Maytag MGD6000AW 27 7.4 cu. ft. Gas Steam Dryer with 8 Cycles and 5 Temp. Settings in White MGD6000AW

From America's No.1 preferred laundry brand comes a premium laundry experience that keeps your household's clothes, fabrics and special items ready fo...
HomeClick

Maytag Neptune Dryer Heating Element 35001119 Restring

Maytag Neptune Dryer Heating Element 35001119 Restring

I have for sale the new restring kit that replaces the maytag neptune dryer heating element # 35001119 . This element is no longer available and will ...

Maytag 307178 Dryer Heater Element Complete Assembly Genuine Maytag -neptune

Maytag 307178 Dryer Heater Element Complete Assembly Genuine Maytag -neptune

Maytag 307178 DRYER HEATER ELEMENT COMPLETE ASSEMBLY OEM Genuine Maytag -NEPTUNE click thumbnails to enlarge GENERAL INFORMATION Thank you for shoppin...

Whirlpool/maytag Neptune Dryer Panel 33002372

Whirlpool/maytag Neptune Dryer Panel 33002372

Auction is for an OEM new Whirlpool / Maytag Bisque dryer top part number WP33002372 / 33002372. Item only taken out of box for pictures. Never instal...

MDG17PRAWW 27 Commercial Super-Capacity Gas Dryer with TurboVent Technology  Advanced

MDG17PRAWW 27 Commercial Super-Capacity Gas Dryer with TurboVent Technology Advanced

This 27 wide gas dryer is designed to handlea massive 74 cu ft load capacity This commercial unit is debit card compatible features a reversible door ...
AppliancesConnection