McCormick Oregano Leaves 5 Ounce Container (Mccormick)

McCormick Oregano Leaves - And a lot of it!

Jul 19, 2012

Pros:identically sized dried oregano; no mystery pieces or stems; good flavor

Cons:package doesn't state where the oregano is from; not organic

The Bottom Line: If you're like me and use a lot of oregano, look into this larger size of oregano leaves from McCormick.  Quality and value.

While I don't really cook that much, I do use spices.  Oregano is my favorite spice, with that classic Italian flavor.  One thing I pride myself on making is quesadillas, and I almost always put oregano in them.  Since we have quesadillas a lot (especially in the summer, when veggies are fresh and local) and I went through my small container of oregano pretty fast.  So, when I needed more, I went for the big container from McCormick.

Product Information
McCormick spices are pretty easy to find in stores, they're a big brand.  The McCormick Oregano Leaves I purchased come in a big clear plastic container with a red lid.  The 5 ounce container is a bit big to fit in with my other spices, but seeing as I use a lot of oregano, it makes sense to buy the larger container.  At least the container is designed to be easy to hold, and it's not heavy since it's just dried oregano leaves.

Flip open the lid and you can shake it out in small amounts, or on the other side, have the option of pouring a lot out or using a spoon.  The spoon option is fine until you've used some of the oregano and your spoon no longer reaches down to the spice.

Texture
Dried Oregano Leaves are flaky and easy to grind up.  Or, you can just add them whole.  With McCormick, all of the leaves are evenly sized, and I've not found any stems or other non-oregano plant material.

The leaves become moist very fast while cooking, and when eating, you get the still-slighly-dried texture now and then, but nothing unappealing.

Flavor
For the best flavor, I use a mortar and pestel to grind the oregano leaves up, which releases the oils.  This yields a more potent, full flavor.  But more commonly, out of laziness and hunger, I just pour some out into my hand, and pinch the leaves over the food.  This method releases a little more flavor than just adding the oregano directly, but not as much as grinding it.

The flavor of McCormick Oregano Leaves is just as I would hope and expect it would be.  I never get any odd or weird flavors as though something else got into it.  It always tastes like freshly dried oregano.

According to the container, 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves is equal to 2 tsp. fresh oregano.  When I make my quesadillas, I use a good bit of oregano.  With all the cheese, veggies, and cayanne pepper powder, I need to use a large amount of oregano in order to fully taste it.

Final Verdict
I had chosen McCormick for a couple of reasons.  One was that the price of the larger container was much cheaper per ounce than any brand of the smaller containers.  The second reason was that the other McCormick spices I have or have had in the past always prove to be consistent in quality.

While the package states it's packed in the USA, sadly, it does not state where the oregano is from.

High Quality Spices Mccormick Gourmet Collection Organic Oregano Leaves 2.5 Oz

High Quality Spices Mccormick Gourmet Collection Organic Oregano Leaves 2.5 Oz

High Quality Spices! McCormick Gourmet Collection Organic Oregano Leaves 2.5 oz This is a great herb to add to your spice rack. Oregano can be used in...

Mccormick 100% Organic Oregano Leaves 2.5 Oz (70g)

Mccormick 100% Organic Oregano Leaves 2.5 Oz (70g)

This adds big flavor! This is a great deal!100% organic

Mccormick Ground Ginger 0.8-ounce Containers (pack Of 6)

Mccormick Ground Ginger 0.8-ounce Containers (pack Of 6)

The Lotoons Store NEW McCormick Ground Ginger 0.8-Ounce Containers (Pack of 6) 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYERS 3. WE ARE ...

Mccormick Gourmet Sweet Basil & Oregano Bruschetta Chicken Seasoning Mix(2 Pack)

Sweet Basil & Oregano Bruschetta Chicken Seasoning Mix INGREDIENTS: ONION, GARLIC, SEA SALT, SPICES AND HERBS (INCLUDING BASIL, BLACK PEPPER, AND OREG...

Mccormick Granulated Garlic, 26-ounce, Free Shipping,

Mccormick Granulated Garlic, 26-ounce, Free Shipping,

McCormick Granulated Garlic, 26-Ounce, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: McCormick Size: 26 Ounce Color: Item Dimensions: Length: 8.19 inches ...

McCormick Thyme, Ground, 11-Ounce Plastic Bottle

McCormick Thyme, Ground, 11-Ounce Plastic Bottle

Thyme blends well with many spices and is popular in a number of seasoning blends for meat, fish and poultry. Thyme enriches vegetables and seafood wh...