Mccormick Taco Seasoning 24oz 680g

Tasty Tacos or Taco Salad for the Family

May 18, 2008 (Updated May 18, 2008)

Pros:tasty, big container is economical

Cons:high sodium

The Bottom Line: This is a good spice for taco meat.

We had taco salad for dinner last night. It is one of the easiest meals I can think to prepare on a night when I don’t have a lot of time to cook. Basically, all I have to do is brown some ground beef (or turkey, whatever I have on hand) and add some seasoning and put all the “fixins” on the table.

When it comes to seasoning my ground beef, last night (and in most cases), I chose McCormick Taco Seasoning. I buy it in the large container at BJ’s Warehouse store. The big container is economical and since we use it several times a month, it is a good thing to keep on hand.

The Product
McCormick Taco Seasoning comes in a clear plastic container that contains 24 ounces of product. The product is a brown colored powder and it is nice that I can see exactly how much is still in the container since it is see-through. The container also comes with a flip top so that you can measure the right amount of seasoning for your needs. When you open the container, you immediately get a strong smell of the spices. It smells like tacos! Imagine that!!

Preparation
Using this product couldn’t be any simpler to do. Simply ground a pound of ground beef or turkey and drain the excess fat. Then add cup of water and about 4 tablespoons of McCormick Taco Seasoning. This is what the package states but I actually add a little bit less to cut the amount of sodium. I will add between 2 and 3 tablespoons, depending on my mood and other sodium my husband has had during that day. Last you simply simmer the meat mixture for about 5 minutes and serve!

I always make taco salad instead of regular tacos. This is because I have always had such a hard time eating a regular taco. They break or fall apart on me so I’d just rather start with it all broken up and eaten in a bowl. I serve tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, cheese, salsa, and sour cream and just pile it all in a bowl. Each person can have the amount or ingredients they choose.

Ingredients and Nutrition
According to the container, the ingredients in this product are:
spices (including chili peppers, cumin, oregano, and red pepper), onion, whey solids, salt, sugar, paprika, garlic, potato starch, and citric acid

A serving of this product is about 2 teaspoons of the dry mix which I figure would make about 1/6th of the ground beef and spice mixture. This serving has 20 calories of which there is no fat and no protein and 3 grams of carbohydrates. There is also 430 mg of sodium which is about 18 percent of the recommended daily allowance.

My Experiences
I find that this taco seasoning, even used in half portions of the recommended amounts is pretty tasty. It makes the ground beef just a bit spicy but not too spicy for both of my kids to eat. If my husband or I want more spice, we add spicy salsa to our portion when serving. Since my husband is watching his sodium intake, using only half of the directed amount allows me to cut the amount I am serving him while still giving the ground beef some flavor.

I like that I can buy this product in the big container. Buying it in the individual envelopes gets costly. They usually cost about one dollar a packet and since I figure there are about 19 “packets” per 24 ounce container, I save about $14 by buying it this way. Even better, I can use the amount I want without having half packets lost in my pantry. So, in that way, I am saving even more money

Recommendations
I would recommend this spice for anyone who likes to eat tacos. It works well for kids and adults since you can add the amount that you want. It gives a good flavor without too much spice. It helps us make a quick and tasty meal for the family.

Mccormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix 24 Oz

Ingredients SPICES (INCLUDING CHILI PEPPER, CUMIN, PAPRIKA, OREGANO), ONION, WHEY (MILK), SALT, SUGAR, GARLIC, POTATO STARCH, AND CITRIC ACID. Product...

McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix, 1.25 oz (Pack of 24)

McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix, 1.25 oz (Pack of 24)

Give your tacos some spice with McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix. With all natural spices and no MSG or artificial flavors, McCormick Taco Mix is...

Mccormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix 24 Oz

For sale McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix 24 oz. Product is good till 12-2013. No msg added.

High Quality Spices Mccormick Premium Taco Seasoning Mix No Msg 24 Oz

High Quality Spices Mccormick Premium Taco Seasoning Mix No Msg 24 Oz

High Quality Spices! McCormick Premium Taco Seasoning Mix No MSG 24 oz McCormick Premium Taco Seasoning is what your tacos are missing. Add all the fl...

Mccormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix 1 Oz (3 Pack)

Mccormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix 1 Oz (3 Pack)

Auction is for Three 1 oz packets of McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix Just Add Oil, Boneless Chicken Breast, Water

Mccormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix (pack Of 2) 1 Oz Packets

Mccormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix (pack Of 2) 1 Oz Packets

McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix (Pack of 2) 1 oz Packets

Mccormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix (pack Of 4) 1 Oz Packets

Mccormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix (pack Of 4) 1 Oz Packets

McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix (Pack of 4) 1 oz Packets

Mccormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix (pack Of 4) 1.25 Oz Packets

Mccormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix (pack Of 4) 1.25 Oz Packets

McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix (Pack of 4) 1.25 oz Packets ◙ Quick Shipping! Most orders in by 3:00 PM EST ship out the same day!◙ Fast Del...

Mccormick Cheesy Taco Seasoning Mix (pack Of 4) 1.12 Oz Packets

Mccormick Cheesy Taco Seasoning Mix (pack Of 4) 1.12 Oz Packets

McCormick Cheesy Taco Seasoning Mix (Pack of 4) 1.12 oz Packets

Lawry's Taco Seasoning Mix, 1.0 oz  (Pack of 24)

Lawry's Taco Seasoning Mix, 1.0 oz (Pack of 24)

Lawry's Taco Seasoning Mix is delicious and easy to use. The seasoning comes in a convenient 1.0 oz size (Pack of 24). The taco spice mix contains onl...