Mederma for Kids Reviews

Mederma for Kids

His Derma, Your Child's Derma, Mederma for Kids

Sep 26, 2005

Pros:Mederma for Kids seemed to help with scar healing; fun to use.

Cons:You may be wasting your money.

The Bottom Line: I would recommend trying it. Unless there is a reaction like a rash you have nothing to lose except a few dollars.

In the late spring or early summer my neighbor and friend’s grandson had an accident. I know her two grandkids well because they spend many weekends with her. This particular day, Jeffrey, the 7 year old, fell off his bike. Luckily he was wearing a helmet but his forehead must have hit a rock because he had a nasty cut. My neighbor took him to the hospital. I had a feeling he was going to need stitches and thought of Mederma which helped me over the years. Even if he didn’t need stitches he would have probably been left with a scar so in any case I went over to CVS and found Mederma for Kids.

Jeffrey came home with 4 stitches but we had to wait to use it until the stitches came out. Mederma for Kids cannot be used on open wounds. The next time Jeffrey came to visit grandma I gave him Mederma. He is old enough to understand stitches and scars. Mederma comes in a .70-ounce tube. I paid in the $16.00 range at that time.

About Mederma for Kids:

Mederma is made with Cepalin, which is "a proprietary (meaning secret) botanical extract derived from onions, specifically formulated to help with the appearance of scars." Please note that this is the identical sentence that is on the website for Mederma for adults.

We are told it is not toxic. It is designed for children ages 2 to 12. We are told that pediatricians recommend it for old and new scars.

My doctor many years ago gave me a sample of Mederma and then I continued using it. I don’t doubt that some pediatricians do suggest trying this for your child. In fact we are told that 94% of pediatricians say they would recommend Mederma for Kids to their patients. I am very skeptical when it comes to claims. If I hadn’t used Mederma myself I would be questioning how many pediatricians were asked. 94% of 10 means most of them but if that is all that were asked them we are missing a lot of opinions. In any case, I usually do research when writing reviews such as this. I did a lot when I wrote my Mederma review and will leave that for you at the bottom so you can skip it if you want.

Mederma for Kids is intended not only for scars but perhaps for scrapes and bug bites that leave a mark as well. I was only concerned about Jeffrey’s cut.

We are told that it will soften and smooth scars thus making them less noticeable. Since Jeffrey’s cut was on his forehead it was easily seen unless he combed his hair to the side.

Mederma for Kids is made by Merz Pharmaceuticals. The company says it may be the first and only scar product just for children.

What is in it:

Water (Purified); PEG-4; Allium Cepa (Onion) Bulb Extract; Xanthan Gum; Allantoin; Fragrance; Methylparaben; Sorbic Acid; D&C Violet No. 2; FD&C Red No. 4

The onion bulb is the Celapin. Please note again that these are the exact same ingredients in Mederma. The additional ingredients are the colors added.

How to use it and other information:

You should apply a thin coat of Mederma For Kids to the scar and gently massage it in 3 times a day for 8 weeks on new scars and 3 times a day for 3 to 6 months on existing scars. This is for external use only. Do not let your child apply it.

These are the same directions as those given for Mederma. By the way I used it for existing (old) scars and never saw any improvement. Silicone strips had somewhat of a better result but it the results were temporary. I wouldn’t count on Mederma for Kids on old scars. You can try but this is my experience.

Jeffrey knows me well. He and his brother play with my dog, Hanna they both help me fill up my bird feeders. He wasn’t at all scared when I took out the tube and told him I was going to put it on his booboo.

The marketing is wonderful really. The top is purple just like the color of the cream. So Jeffrey thought it was really neat that he was going to have purple on his forehead. Little did he know that after I put it on his forehead, it absorbed quickly and dried clear!

We are told that this .70 ounce tube will last about three months. That is just about right. We were away much of the summer so I didn’t see Jeffrey until a couple of weeks ago. I learned that the tube was recently finished.

Before I wrote this I read my original review and noted that I experienced some skin peeling and wondered if it was taking off the top layer of the scar which would make it flatter. Wantong this review to be as accurate as possible I asked Jeffrey if he remembered what it felt like.

Although I saw him several times after I first put on the Mederma he never commented on that. Right after I applied it the first time he went off to play. He told me that his mom commented to him that his skin was peeling a little but she didn’t make any big deal about it.

We are told that Mederma for Kids has a kid friendly scent. I do remember smelling it because I thought perhaps I would review it if I felt comfortable doing so. I remember thinking it had a nice odor but then again I thought my Mederma was pleasant smelling as well. Considering the ingredients are the same I would guess the odor is similar. I can’t remember exactly what Mederma smelled like to actually compare mine with the Kids’ formula.

What to watch for:

Jeffrey never had any adverse reactions to Mederma for Kids but you want to make sure there is no swelling, that the scar doesn’t change colors or that it doesn’t itch terribly. If so call your child’s doctor.

Some interesting information:

The company makes it clear that nothing can make a scar completely disappear. Mederma certainly didn’t erase my scars over the years but it did make them smoother.

We are told that in one study children saw a noticeable improvement after four weeks in the appearance, color, texture, and softness of their scars. The skeptic in me would ask if this is a placebo affect or the children answered in a way that would please the adult asking. And really interesting is that in my review of Mederma I wrote "It is said to be safe for children, even young children just make sure the wound is perfectly closed before using it." I would be bothered by this if I had paid more for Mederma for Kids than my Mederma cost but I did not and considering the purple disappearing color it would be worth a few cents more for the fun of it.

How Jeffrey fared:

When I saw Jeffrey it had been about 3 months give or take since the bike accident. His scar looked good. I was really happy to see that it wasn’t raised or red. I could see a faint line but there were no remnants of the nasty cut that I saw before it was stitched and afterward. He may always have a faint line on his forehead. As is said nothing can make a scar totally disappear. Over time they usually will fade a bit on their own. I do think Mederma for Kids helped speed up that process.

Having said that there is no way to prove this. In spite of the study noted above, we have no idea if Jeffrey is a quick healer and his scar would have looked like that on its own. Unless we could clone Jeffrey and compare two of him after 3 months I can’t say definitively that it was the Mederma that helped his scar heal to an almost unnoticeable line. However for the money I’d rather use it on my child or grandchild than not. Just in case it actually does work then why not? I do think Mederma made my scars appear less noticeable. Kids’ skin might heal faster than adults anyway so that along with the use of Mederma seems like a good way to go if you want to prevent scarring.

Jo’s Final Thoughts:

Maybe I threw my money away when I bought Mederma for Kids for Jeffrey. I really don’t know. When it comes to faces, my feeling is that $16 or even 2 or 3 times that if Jeffrey’s mom continues to use it, which in my opinion isn’t necessary, is worth it.

I am recommending Mederma for Kids. My feeling is why not? Jeffrey’s scar looks great and for me that’s proof that it was money well spent. By the way I also used Sudden Change Scar Zone which I didn’t like at all. I really feel that if you are going to get anything for your child’s scar Mederma for Kids would be the product to buy.

If I can be of any help or answer any questions, feel free to leave a comment or e-mail me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Research: This is from my review of Mederma

”Without doing a doctoral dissertation I was very interested in the research on this product. After all can I really say it works unless I have a clone with a scar using nothing or Vitamin E? Has there been a valid scientific study done with a placebo group? Well this is what I found.

First about Vitamin E:

"Mederma’s only competition is vitamin E, which for years has been a folklore remedy for enhancing the cosmetic appearance of scars. However, in 1999, University of Miami investigators studied 15 patients who had undergone skin cancer removal surgery. They discovered that there is no cosmetic benefit in applying vitamin E after skin surgery, and that use of vitamin E may actually make the scar look worse. In 90% of cases, topical vitamin E either had no effect on or actually worsened the cosmetic appearance of scars, and 33% of patients developed contact dermatitis" (Dermatol Surg 1999;25:311-315).

"Pharmacists pride themselves on being a credible resource of information for their customers and need to be aware of this study," the spokesperson points out. "We have talked with many dermatologists around the country, and they advise patients not to use vitamin E for scars.

Please note: this is based on 15 patients. No scientists would say that is a valid survey and please note also that this blurb is from a spokesperson from Merz.

I was very interested in this:

Surgery-Free Scar Treatment Uses Onion Extract, Claims Effective Results

SAN DIEGO, Updated 7:19 p.m. EST December 19, 2000 -- Doctors often tell their patients to "give it time" when it comes to scarring, but makers of Mederma Skin Care for scars claim they can helps scars appear smoother without the invasiveness of plastic surgery.

Mederma's active ingredient is Cepalin, a proprietary botanical extract from onions, geared for use on scars from surgery, injury, burns, acne and stretch marks.

While the makers say that nothing can make scars totally disappear the company claims Mederma can help scars appear softer and smoother (before treatment). Adult volunteers with scars 3 weeks to 8 years old were enrolled in a study to determine the effectiveness of Mederma.

Subjects were randomly assigned to the placebo group or the Mederma group. Following informed consent, histories and physical examinations were performed on the subjects and standardized photographs were taken of the scar including length, width and height.

The subjects were instructed to apply a thin coat of the gel and massage it into their skin. Follow-up visits were performed at one week, one month, and two months of treatment.

At each follow-up visit, repeat photographs and measurements were taken and subjects were asked to complete a questionnaire regarding their compliance with the application of the gel, any adverse reactions to the gel and their impression as to improvement in color, contour, texture and overall appearance of the scar (after treatment).

Each subject's photographs were blindly evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine visual improvement of the scar.

The results were that scars treated with Mederma were significantly softer in appearance. Mederma is a non-prescription product. A small number of participants complained of mild itching, or a rash. The number of these complaints was virtually identical in both the treated as well as the placebo group. One black person stated that although the color of her scar had faded the area of skin surrounding the scar had become mildly hypopigmented or discolored. “

Some of the material in this review came from the website.

Mederma For Kids Gel, Purple, 20g

Mederma For Kids Gel, Purple, 20g

Mederma Gel For Kids is designed to help treat scars caused by cuts, scrapes, bug bites, surgery and burns. This Mederma Scar Cream is the #1 pediatri...

Mederma For Kids (20g) Brand

Mederma For Kids (20g) Brand

Quality products at affordable prices. Check out our feedbacks and buy with confidence! Mederma for Kids (20g) Features Pediatrician-recommended for c...

Mederma for Kids Scar Treatment - 20g

Mederma for Kids Scar Treatment - 20g

Find skin and scalp treatments at Target.com! The mederma scar treatment cream is delicate on your kids ski. It helps smooth and soften scars resultin...

Mederma Skin Care For Scars For Kids, 0.70 Oz (20 G) , New, Free Shipping

Mederma Skin Care For Scars For Kids, 0.70 Oz (20 G) , New, Free Shipping

Mederma Skin Care for Scars for Kids, 0.70 oz (20 g) , New, Free Shipping Formulated with Cepalin Botanical Extract. From the leader in scar managemen...

Mederma For Kids Skin Care For Scars, 0.70 Oz (pack Of 2)

Mederma For Kids Skin Care For Scars, 0.70 Oz (pack Of 2)

Mederma For Kids Skin Care for Scars, 0.70 oz (Pack of 2)Mederma for KidsTM absorbs into the scar to help old and new scars appear softer and smoother...

Mederma Topical Gel For Kids - 20 Gm

Mederma Topical Gel For Kids - 20 Gm

Mederma Topical Gel for Kids - 20 GM Sku# 844100 NYhealthbeauty is not responsible for price errors, image errors and address errors entered by the cu...

Mederma For Kids Skin Care For Scars 0.70 Oz. (20g)

Mederma For Kids Skin Care For Scars 0.70 Oz. (20g)

MEDERMA for kids SKIN CARE FOR SCARS Expiration Date : 11/2015 Formulated with Cepalin Botanical Extract. From the leader in scar management. Pediatri...

Mederma Skin Care For Scars For Kids, 0.70 Oz (20 G), Free Shipping,

Mederma Skin Care For Scars For Kids, 0.70 Oz (20 G), Free Shipping,

Mederma Skin Care for Scars for Kids, 0.70 oz (20 g), Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Mederma Size: 0.7 Color: Item Dimensions: Length: 4.6 ...

Mederma Skin Care For Scars For Kids, 0.70 Oz (20 G)

Mederma Skin Care For Scars For Kids, 0.70 Oz (20 G)

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION Formulated with Cepalin Botanical Extract. From the leader in scar management. Pediatrician recommended product for scars. Goes on...

Mederma Stretch Mark Therapy - 5.29oz

Mederma Stretch Mark Therapy - 5.29oz

Find bath and body skincare at Target.com! Mederma stretch marks therapy is a nourishing cream that's made from a unique blend of cepalin, hyaluronic ...