Memorex Cd/Dvd Labels with Express It Software White Matte 120 Labels (00424) Reviews

Memorex Cd/Dvd Labels with Express It Software White Matte 120 Labels (00424)

Memorex Disc Labels - Good labels, Bonus free download of "exPressit" labelling software.

Feb 25, 2008 (Updated Feb 26, 2008)

Pros:Easy to use. Labels all aspects of disc. Will last when used properly. Free software

Cons:Brightness of labels ok, not great. Prone to weathering if labelled disc not protected.

The Bottom Line: Recommended if you take a little care, will last and looks nice on disc. Print or write on these.

The Label Info & Specs
This product is intended to label discs both CD and DVD. Labels are constructed of adhesive backed paper. The adhesive bond to a clean disc is very good. Labels peel off of specially coated paper backing the same way most stickers peel off similar backing. Adhesive will slowly suffer from weathering if you do not protect the labelled disc with a cover or place in a storage book. Excessive exposure to sunlight will ruin the adhesive backing and render it worthless.

Label Thickness?
Listing the weight of labels does not appear to be a standard practice from what I have seen and I see no mention of it on the package. The paper is slightly thicker than an average 20LB paper you might use in a printer or copier

Brightness of the labels?
Brightness listing on labels is also not a standard practice from what I have seen, and looking at the package. I currently have a stack of 96 bright copy paper in front of me and can say that the Memorex Labels are definitely not as bright. I would guesstimate they are on par with 92 bright rated copy paper.
In my experience: 88 bright is cheap and less desirable, 92 is decent, 96 will make printouts come more to life and approaches resume (rez-a-may) quality, which exceeds 100 brightness.

The Package
120 Multi-Use Labels are in this package.
60 Sheets total in package
Each sheet contains: 2 disc labels, 2 Spine Labels, & 2 Multi-Use Labels.
No installation cds or label centering devices are included!

---Disc Labels:---
Each label consists of 3 connected rings (if you will). The very middle ring must always be removed, the other two remaining rings can be configured to accomplish the following 3 possible uses:
1) Full Face – Use the entire label to cover the entire disc.
2) Center Only - A small ring located in the middle of label, can be used on dual sided data discs.
3) Standard – Pop the (center only) middle portion of label out and use the rest of the label.

Further Explanation:
FULL FACE – Just pull the entire rounded label off of the backing, leaving the open hole in middle of covered disc open.
STANDARD – The majority of discs have a non-data containing plastic middle built-in (usually see through, but not always). If you remove the middle corresponding section of label, aforementioned area will not be covered on disc.
CENTER ONLY – For labelling only the middle portion of disc surrounding the hole. This is the smallest portion of the disc label.

---Jewel Case Spine Labels---
2 per sheet, located next to each disc label on sheet. The only difference between disc label and Jewel Case label is shape and placement location. Handy if you want to nicely label a blank jewel case, but I would not expect the jewel label to last as long as the disc label due to different exposure circumstances. A disc can be protected in a case or book, but how do you protect a jewel label from weathering? I don’t use them, all my discs are in a protective book.

---Multi-Use Labels: ---
Please see the Jewel Case Label section above, these fall under the same stipulations, except they are located next to the Jewel Case Label, also have 2 per sheet. These labels are primarily for labelling the front facing of a CD/DVD Jewel Case. They can also be used for labelling a CD or DVD cover (think of a Playstation game disc cover), or just about anything in your home. I have used these block shaped labels for organization purposes. I never use them on discs. These have got to be the most multi-functional labels on the sheet.You can throw them on Shoe boxes, Tools, Drawers, etc.
Don’t throw these out, if you don’t plan on putting them on disc covers! This portion of label is underrated!

Labels can be used on Inkjet or Laser printers provided your personal/business printer allows for label printing. A very cheap printer may have problems with these labels.

The Free Software
A great bonus which is not included with the package of labels (no CD install), is the ability to download a 100% free program from the Memorex Website titled “exPressit”, located here:
Current software version, as of this writing is: 2.2
Can be used on Windows 98se, ME, 2000, & XP – 17.1mb - (no mention of Vista)
There is also a download for MAC OSX - 8.1mb - (not a mac user, unsure what OSX is, but guessing it can be used for more than one MAC OS version)

I have used exPressit many times. It is somewhat quirky but considering it’s cost (free), find it to be very worthwhile. The program allows you to put any pictures or even add text to any portion of the sheet label. Very nice once you get the hang of it. Learning curve may require a little effort for newbies. A couple successful uses and you will be a pro.

Personal Experiences
Removing post printed labels from paper backing is easy, no matter which portion you printed on, just takes a few seconds. Don’t pull label real quick and your fine.

I have used these labels for CD’s and DVD’s for at least a few years now.

I always try to place label on center of disc as exacting as possible, to keep the balance mechanisms built into disc player from malfunctioning. Never had any problems in regards to this and thought I would mention.

Want to write on label instead of printing? Go ahead, use a sharpie, pen, pencil, marker, etc. The top of labels have very similar texture to standard copy paper (but not exactly the same) and can be written on.

Labels last very nicely over time provided you keep your disc protected, I use a book which wraps individual discs in plastic and have not had any problems.

Hint Hint (from experience):
Labels can successfully used twice if:
If you label some discs with the middle ring for dual sided discs, keep the “standard” portion of label on paper backing (don’t peel it off) and re-insert into an InkJet printer. I would not use this practice with a laser printer, because generally laser printers transfer more heat to label and can jam printer if reinserted and original adhesive properties are changed through heat transfer.

Cost / Additional Info
I purchased this 120 pack of label covers at Staples over a year ago for $9.99 on sale. If I remember correctly their original price at the time was $15 or maybe $20. Labels routinely go on sale at office supply stores, so I recommend buying during a sale week or from an online vendor you trust with a good price.

Cons
Brightness of blank labels is not very impressive, but ok. Label adhesive is good when protected, bad when allowed to weather from lack of protection over time.

Ultimate Opinion
The combination of free software for these disc labels and careful product usage (placement of label on disc and protect from weathering), make it a good product. Getting these labels on sale increases value. The ability to nicely label 120 discs via one purchase is a nice feature. Self titled “Multi-Use” portion of label can be used on anything and is great for organization of many things around the home. Keeping in mind the “cons” as stated in above section and careful usage, I give this product 4 out of 5 possible stars.

Thanks for reading my review!

Memorex(R) CD - DVD Sleeves, White, Pack Of 100

Memorex(R) CD - DVD Sleeves, White, Pack Of 100

Inexpensive, space-saving disc storage Low-cost way of storing your CD and DVD discs. Each CD/DVD paper sleeve has an insert window, for easy organizi...
Office Depot

Memorex - CD/DVD Polyprpoylene Keepers, Assorted Colors, 50 Pack, Computer & Electronics C

Memorex CD/DVD Polyprpoylene Keepers, Assorted Colors, 50 Pack Low cost storage solution for your CD's & DVD's. Transparent polypropylene for easy vie...
Adorama

Memorex Slim Cd/dvd 5mm 100-pack Jewel Cases

Memorex Slim Cd/dvd 5mm 100-pack Jewel Cases

NEW Memorex Slim CD/DVD 5mm 100-Pack Jewel Cases Features Compatible with standard sized CDs and DVDs 5 mm slim case design Clear plastic frame Packag...

Memorex(R) CD - DVD Sleeves, White, Pack Of 50

Memorex(R) CD - DVD Sleeves, White, Pack Of 50

Office Depot

Memorex Cd-rw High Speed 50 Pack Spindle

Memorex Cd-rw High Speed 50 Pack Spindle

MEMOREX CD-RW/50PK SPINDLE Memorex CD-RW High Speed 50 Pack Spindle Rewritable CD Compatible with 4x to 12x Rewrite Speeds The CDRW “High Speed rewrit...

Memorex CD-R with Printable Surface, 30/PK

Memorex CD-R with Printable Surface, 30/PK

Memorex - 30 x CD-R - 700 MB ( 80min ) 48x - printable surface - spindle

Memorex CD-R - 100 Pack

Memorex CD-R - 100 Pack

The Memorex 100 pack of CD-R media records in the 52X speed. It is with excellent write-once recording quality holding up to 700 MB of storage capacit...
Memorex - White CD/DVD Labels - 50 Pack, Memory & Data Storage

Memorex - White CD/DVD Labels - 50 Pack, Memory & Data Storage

Memorex White CD/DVD Labels - 50 Pack Ultra-white matte labels- perfect for labeling CDsCreate custom designs for yourCDs on special, ultra-white matt...
Adorama

Memorex Cd-r 80 With Slimline Jewel Case (30 Pack)

Memorex Cd-r 80 With Slimline Jewel Case (30 Pack)

Memorex CD-R 80 with Slimline Jewel Case (30 Pack) Click to Enlarge Memorex CD-R offers 80 minutes of audio recording time or 700 MB of data storage, ...