Merrick Pet Care Merrick Before Grain 96% Chicken Grain-Free Canned Cat Food (Merrick) Reviews

Merrick Before Grain Chicken Canned Cat Food - two paws up

Jun 30, 2010

Pros:no grains, mostly chicken

Cons:wish it was 100% chicken like before

The Bottom Line: Merrick Before Grain Canned Chicken Cat food is a good choice if you are looking for a grain free treat or diet for your cat

What attracted me to Merrick Before Grain Chicken Canned Cat Food
My cat is on a prescription diet and I was looking for something to supplement it with that was high in protein with no grains. When I first found this food it was really 100% chicken and nothing else. It was designed for supplemental feedings but people's cats liked it so much that Merrick changed the formula to add nutrients so that it could be served as a complete diet. I am not sure how thrilled I was about the change but I guess they can sell more of it if you are giving it for all your cat's meals.

What's in it
Like the name states there is no grains of any kind and its mainly just Chicken....although they added some other stuff so now it is 96% chicken and 4% other stuff. I will get to the list of ingredients in a minute. They added some egg to it and I think some pretty strong chicken broth because it really has a strong chickeny smell which the cat loves but seems a bit much for me.

My impression

We bought the 3.2 ounce cans so that I would not have leftovers. It comes with a pull off lid that is very convenient so you won't need a can opener. When you open the lid the aroma is a bit overwhelming for something that is supposed to be just chicken. The food is a minced chicken mixture which in my opinion would be better if there were more chunks of chicken to give the cat something to chew and less little bits to get stuck on and dirty up the teeth.

For what we are using it for as a treat every few days to put a medication he needs in and have him lap it up in a hurry this is absolutely perfect!!! Even if this was all he was eating it is lightyears ahead of most commercial cat foods with all their corn fillers and such.

Where to buy
It is difficult to find Merrick Before Grain Chicken Canned Cat Food and after looking at several pet stores I ended up ordering it online from pet food direct. I mainly chose them because they send me my prescription food...I have seen it on amazon.com as well.

Cost Value
I paid about $20 for a case of 24 cans. I thought this was well worth it. This is for the 3.2oz cans. It also comes in a 6oz can which might save you some money if you are feeding this exclusively. I was just checking the price on petfooddirect and it is on sale for $17.99 currently. I might have to stock up while the sale is going

Tinkerbelles thoughts
Meow slurp Meow slurp ....lick lick lick ....yummmy ....ahhhh time for a bath.

How much to feed

The can states you can feed 2 cans for each six pounds of body weight per day. I find this a bit much as for my 15lb cat that would be 5 cans a day. At that rate I would bet he would be a 20lb cat in no time....but perhaps he is older and not running around outside all day since he is an indoor cat. Still from the Calories that does seem a bit much. I only feed as a treat but if I was feeding this alone I would maybe give him 3 cans a day or 4 if you have a real active cat. Of course you should ask your vet how much your specific cat should eat because I think nutritional needs vary from cat to cat.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min.) 9.00%
Crude Fat          (Min.)  6.00%
Crude Fiber       (Max.) 1.4%
Moisture           (Max.) 78.00%

Calorie Content
984 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 89 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Dried Egg, Yeast Extract, Glycine,
Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride,
Salt, Guar, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Carageenan,
Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex,
Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate,
Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Lecithin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid,
Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Glucoheptanate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate,
Sodium Selenite

This product is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO cat nutrient profile for all life stages.

For more info please visit the merrick website http://www.merrickpetcare.com

Merrick Grain Free 96% Real Beef Canned Dog Food, Case of 12

Merrick Grain Free 96% Real Beef Canned Dog Food, Case of 12

Merrick Grain Free 96% Meat Canned Dog FoodOur grain-free canned food formulas are complete and balanced diets! These grain-free, fresh entrees are 96...
Petco

Merrick Before Grain 1 Chicken Dry Cat Food, 11.1 Pound Bag, Free Shipping,

Merrick Before Grain #1 Chicken Dry Cat Food, 11.1 Pound Bag Features:Meat is #1 Ingredient Made in the USA Grain Free pet food Description:Before Gra...

Merrick Before Grain Dry Cat Food Salmon 11.1 lbs

Merrick Before Grain Dry Cat Food Salmon 11.1 lbs

Rich in high quality meats and nutrients, Before Grain diets contain no grains and no fillers - the way nature intended!
Natural Pet Discount

Merrick Before Grain Dry Cat Food Chicken 11.1 lbs

Merrick Before Grain Dry Cat Food Chicken 11.1 lbs

Natural Pet Discount

Merrick Before Grain 1 Chicken Dry Cat Food, 11.1 Pound Bag, Free Shipping,

Merrick Before Grain #1 Chicken Dry Cat Food, 11.1 Pound Bag, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Merrick Pet Care Size: 11.1 lb Color: Whites T...

Merrick Before Grain 2 Salmon Dry Cat Food, 6.6-pound Bag, Free Shipping,

Merrick Before Grain 2 Salmon Dry Cat Food, 6.6-pound Bag, Free Shipping,

Merrick Before Grain #2 Salmon Dry Cat Food, 6.6-Pound Bag, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Merrick Pet Care Size: 6.6 lb Color: Whites Tans...

MERRICK PET CARE 295524 12-Pack Wilderness Blnd Can For Dog, 13.2 - Dog Food

MERRICK PET CARE 295524 12-Pack Wilderness Blnd Can For Dog, 13.2 - Dog Food

MERRICK PET CARE 295524 12-Pack Wilderness Blnd Can For Dog, 13.2 - Wild Meat Treat for Your Four Legged Friend. Merrick Wilderness Blend is a mouth-w...
Merrick Before Grain Dry Cat Food

Merrick Before Grain Dry Cat Food

Only Natural Pet

MERRICK PET CARE 295112 G.I. Bone For Pets, 24-Count, 4-Inch

MERRICK PET CARE 295112 G.I. Bone For Pets, 24-Count, 4-Inch

These beef bones are perfect for any dog in your life. We process these bones with meat still left on them which creates a natural beef jerky on the b...
Merrick Before Grain Chicken Formula Dry Cat Food, 11.1-lb bag

Merrick Before Grain Chicken Formula Dry Cat Food, 11.1-lb bag

Merrick Before Grain Chicken Formula Dry Cat Food, 11.1-lb bag; Encourage your cat to go against the grain with Merrick Before Grain Chicken Formula. ...
Chewy.com