Microsoft 5000 (MGC-00001) Wireless Mouse

Was great, until the rubber started disintegrating.

Feb 25, 2011

Pros:Great scroll wheel, batteries last forever, wireless is a treat to use

Cons:Rubber delaminated from the grip, gets everywhere, and feels gross.

The Bottom Line: It's a GREAT mouse, everything is perfect, EXCEPT the rubber grip. After about a year of daily use it just disintegrates. Which is unnaceptable considering the high price.

Boss bought these for all the employees, and I was very happy with it for almost a year. In that time I had to change the batteries once, it always tracked well, it felt great in my hand, and I never had connection issues even though the USB transmitter key is plugged into the back of the pc, which is stowed under my solid wood desk in a cubby and surrounded by lots of wiring. I really enjoyed the wireless part much more than I thought I would, whenever I use another mouse now I feel like I'm fighting with the cord.
However, after nearly a year of use, the rubber grip started coming apart where my thumb rests, on the left side of the mouse just behind the "back" button on the side. The rubber is balling up and coming off, and it's sticky now and it just feels really distracting. The little rubber bits stick to the rest of the grip, so the whole mouse feels dirty. Rubber bits get onto my mouse pad too, so I'm having to brush it off every hour or so because the mouse will start skipping and not reading properly as it runs over those bits.
I'm guessing it's the oils in my skin that caused this to happen, but really Microsoft should have used a rubber compound that wasn't susceptible to this, as, you know, the ability to hold a mouse is rather sort of a design specification.
I really liked this mouse, especially the scroll wheel, which didn't jump around like so many cheaper mice do... but the rubber delaminating is really gross feeling, and I'm going to see if I can find an old corded mouse. Better to deal with a cord than this rubber stuff everywhere.

Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse 2LF-00001 Desktop 800 Combo 1Pack Wireless USB English Retail

Microsoft 2LF-00001 Wireless Desktop 800 USB

Microsoft 2LF-00001 Wireless Desktop 800 USB

Control and convenience are at your fingertips with the Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. The strong and secured wireless signal allows you to ch...

Brand Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 E6k-00001

Brand Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 E6k-00001

SquareTrade © AP6.0 BRAND NEW SEALED Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 E6K-00001 **** Not Refurbished! Never Used! Never Opened!**** Wireless Keyboard ...

Microsoft 2lf-00001 Wireless Desktop 800

Microsoft 2lf-00001 Wireless Desktop 800

Microsoft 2lf-00001, 2lf-00001 Wireless Desktop 800, Upc: 0885370165258
Microsoft Black Wireless Keyboard 800 - 2VJ00001

Microsoft Black Wireless Keyboard 800 - 2VJ00001

2.4 GHz/ 15-Foot Range/ Optimized Power Management/ Battery Indicator/ Hot Keys For Access To Frequently Used Tools/ Black Finish
Abt Electronics

Microsoft Desktop 2000 M7j-00001 Wireless Keyboard

Microsoft Desktop 2000 M7j-00001 Wireless Keyboard

Unlike standard keyboards, this one features Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), which can help protect your personal and business information by encr...

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 for Business - Keyboard and mouse set - 2.4 GHz - English - North America - black 5SH-00001

MICROSOFT HARDWARE 2LF-00001 WIRELESS DESKTOP 800 USB

MICROSOFT HARDWARE 2LF-00001 WIRELESS DESKTOP 800 USB

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse - USB Wireless RF Keyboard - English (North America) - USB Wireless RF Mouse - Optical
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 - M7J00001

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 - M7J00001

Advanced Encryption Standard/ Taskbar Favorites For Windows 7/ Pillow-Textured Palm Rest/ BlueTrack Technology/ Battery Status Indicator/ Wireless Fre...
Abt Electronics