Microsoft Hard Drive (9Z600001) for Xbox 360

120 gb HDD: Worth the price??

Dec 2, 2009

Pros:  Comes with Data Transfer Kit, Has extra demos and arcade games already on HDD.

Cons:Corrupt files kills game saves, killed the Xbox, Price

The Bottom Line:

Microsoft should consider putting more information regarding what happens to the content after the transfer, the price is almost not worth the pain.

As a geek and a wife of a geek, we use our Xbox a lot.  Most of the time, we use it to download game content for RockBand 2.  We have downloaded over 150 tracks in which we soon ran out of space to download anymore content from Xbox Live, leaving us crying for more songs but nowhere to store them.

Well we made a trip to the electronics store and came across the “motherload” of xbox hard drives.  Which is the 120 gb HDD drive for the Xbox 360.

LOOKS
There really isn’t much difference in appearance from the 120 gb to the standard 20gb HDD.  If you placed them side-by-side you wouldn’t really know the difference other than the flashing “120 GB HDD” shown on the chrome. The hard drive is designed to match the style of the Xbox console.

PRICE
At around $150 dollars this is the answer to any gamers space dilemma.  Price is always a concern of mine, but I always view my Xbox as an entertainment investment.  With the 120 gb HDD you can store arcade games, HD movies, and of course Xbox Live Downloadable content just to name a few.  $150 dollars is very steep price considering that regular hard drives with the same amount of space is much cheaper but can’t really be used on an Xbox 360.  There really is no competition when it comes to fulfilling the needs of getting more storage space for the Xbox 360.

ADDITIONAL ITEMS
The 120 HDD comes with a data transfer kit so you can move all your existing content on your old hard drive to the new hard drive.  Using the kit was extremely simple to use and took about an hour and a half to move all the content over.

The drive comes with demos, trials, and arcade games. The Hexic HD is a nice touch to have when it comes to getting a free game. If this is something that does not interest you, you can easily erase these items to free up more space.

UNTALKED ABOUT QUALMS OF THE 120 GB HDD
I think it is very important to discuss that once you move your content over to your 120 GB HDD the only way to access the content is to be logged into the main gamertag. Content purchased under the gamertag is forever locked into that gamertag and somehow you have to be hooked up to LIVE .  This was a hard lesson learned on Thanksgiving, we brought the Xbox over for the family to play and found out that we had no access to the downloaded content before the transfer. The only way we could access that content was to find a long Ethernet cable and plug it into a modem to sign into LIVE.  It seems like a big hassle to always be hooked up to the internet in order to access the content.

RELIABLITY
I don’t know what happened, but the day after we did the data transfer the Xbox started acting crazy.  All of a sudden the Red Ring of Death appeared.  This caused me to go into extreme panic mode and I ended up calling Microsoft. After explaining what happened, the customer service associate notated it asked me a few questions about the Data Transfer and then told  us to send the Xbox in to Microsoft to have them look at it even though the warranty for the console was expired.  I have read on other forums about people who upgraded to the 120 gb and they had no problems with upgrading.

After 1 month of no Xbox, I finally got a refurbished system in the mail.  I plugged the 120gb HDD in the system and it worked fine, all the content was there.

Some of the files became corrupt for my Rockband characters and stats and I lost almost everything regarding my band, my character, and all the unlockables.  Basically the only choice I had was to start the game all over again and go through World Tour again (which was 5 months in the making).  All the song files were untouched.

CONCLUSION
The 120 gb was a necessity in order to get more Downloadable Content.  Not to mention the xtra expansions for GTA IV which are at 10gb a piece.  There would be no way to get most of the content on a tiny 20 gb.
 If I knew the problems I would be having after using the 120gb I would be more hesitant to purchase.  It seemed that there was more heartbreak and tears involved with corrupt content and a dead Xbox.  I’m grateful that everything is ok and now I have more space to put more content on, but was it really worth $150? In my opinion, for the hard drive to be priced reasonably I would place it at $70 rather than $150.

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Microsoft - JR9-00011

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Microsoft - JR9-00011

Microsoft - JR9-00011 Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows Wireless - Radio Frequency - USB, Headphone - PC
Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows (Black)

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows (Black)

Get increased flexibility and precision control at your fingertips with this wireless controller.
Microsoft Store

Microsoft - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller

Microsoft - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller

Enhance your gaming with this ergonomically designed Microsoft Xbox 360 JR9-00011 controller that features 2.4GHz wireless technology to provide an up...
Best Buy

Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller For Xbox 360 And Windows Pc

Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller For Xbox 360 And Windows Pc

YOU'RE BIDDING ON ONE BRAND NEW Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller For Xbox 360 and Windows PC In Stock. Order Now! PRODUCT DETAILS Disco...

Microsoft Xbox X360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable

Microsoft Xbox X360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable

Microsoft Xbox X360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable Dual Use - New Item.
Microsoft Corporation Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (52A-00004)

Microsoft Corporation Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (52A-00004)

Play with confidence with this responsive, ergonomic controller. It works on either your PC or Xbox to give you the ultimate gaming experience.
Dell

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Game pad - wireless - 2.4 GHz - black - for Xbox 360, Xbox 360 S JR9-00011

Microsoft - 500GB Media Hard Drive for Xbox 360

Microsoft - 500GB Media Hard Drive for Xbox 360

You look forward to the new blockbuster flick, rock out to epic anthems and love kicking back for thrilling adventures. Your world is full of entertai...
Best Buy

Microsoft 500GB Media Hard Drive Game for Xbox 360

Microsoft 500GB Media Hard Drive Game for Xbox 360

Expand your entertainment collection with 500GB of additional space to save games, demos, high-definition movies, music, and more.
Microsoft Store

MICROSOFT JR9-00011 XBOX360 WRLS CONTROLLER

MICROSOFT JR9-00011 XBOX360 WRLS CONTROLLER

Discover greater precision, comfort, and control. The Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for Windows delivers a consistent and universal gaming experience a...