Microsoft Hard Drive (9Z600001) for Xbox 360

120 gb HDD: Worth the price??

Dec 2, 2009

Pros:  Comes with Data Transfer Kit, Has extra demos and arcade games already on HDD.

Cons:Corrupt files kills game saves, killed the Xbox, Price

The Bottom Line:

Microsoft should consider putting more information regarding what happens to the content after the transfer, the price is almost not worth the pain.

As a geek and a wife of a geek, we use our Xbox a lot.  Most of the time, we use it to download game content for RockBand 2.  We have downloaded over 150 tracks in which we soon ran out of space to download anymore content from Xbox Live, leaving us crying for more songs but nowhere to store them.

Well we made a trip to the electronics store and came across the “motherload” of xbox hard drives.  Which is the 120 gb HDD drive for the Xbox 360.

LOOKS
There really isn’t much difference in appearance from the 120 gb to the standard 20gb HDD.  If you placed them side-by-side you wouldn’t really know the difference other than the flashing “120 GB HDD” shown on the chrome. The hard drive is designed to match the style of the Xbox console.

PRICE
At around $150 dollars this is the answer to any gamers space dilemma.  Price is always a concern of mine, but I always view my Xbox as an entertainment investment.  With the 120 gb HDD you can store arcade games, HD movies, and of course Xbox Live Downloadable content just to name a few.  $150 dollars is very steep price considering that regular hard drives with the same amount of space is much cheaper but can’t really be used on an Xbox 360.  There really is no competition when it comes to fulfilling the needs of getting more storage space for the Xbox 360.

ADDITIONAL ITEMS
The 120 HDD comes with a data transfer kit so you can move all your existing content on your old hard drive to the new hard drive.  Using the kit was extremely simple to use and took about an hour and a half to move all the content over.

The drive comes with demos, trials, and arcade games. The Hexic HD is a nice touch to have when it comes to getting a free game. If this is something that does not interest you, you can easily erase these items to free up more space.

UNTALKED ABOUT QUALMS OF THE 120 GB HDD
I think it is very important to discuss that once you move your content over to your 120 GB HDD the only way to access the content is to be logged into the main gamertag. Content purchased under the gamertag is forever locked into that gamertag and somehow you have to be hooked up to LIVE .  This was a hard lesson learned on Thanksgiving, we brought the Xbox over for the family to play and found out that we had no access to the downloaded content before the transfer. The only way we could access that content was to find a long Ethernet cable and plug it into a modem to sign into LIVE.  It seems like a big hassle to always be hooked up to the internet in order to access the content.

RELIABLITY
I don’t know what happened, but the day after we did the data transfer the Xbox started acting crazy.  All of a sudden the Red Ring of Death appeared.  This caused me to go into extreme panic mode and I ended up calling Microsoft. After explaining what happened, the customer service associate notated it asked me a few questions about the Data Transfer and then told  us to send the Xbox in to Microsoft to have them look at it even though the warranty for the console was expired.  I have read on other forums about people who upgraded to the 120 gb and they had no problems with upgrading.

After 1 month of no Xbox, I finally got a refurbished system in the mail.  I plugged the 120gb HDD in the system and it worked fine, all the content was there.

Some of the files became corrupt for my Rockband characters and stats and I lost almost everything regarding my band, my character, and all the unlockables.  Basically the only choice I had was to start the game all over again and go through World Tour again (which was 5 months in the making).  All the song files were untouched.

CONCLUSION
The 120 gb was a necessity in order to get more Downloadable Content.  Not to mention the xtra expansions for GTA IV which are at 10gb a piece.  There would be no way to get most of the content on a tiny 20 gb.
 If I knew the problems I would be having after using the 120gb I would be more hesitant to purchase.  It seemed that there was more heartbreak and tears involved with corrupt content and a dead Xbox.  I’m grateful that everything is ok and now I have more space to put more content on, but was it really worth $150? In my opinion, for the hard drive to be priced reasonably I would place it at $70 rather than $150.

Microsoft Kinect Sensor For Xbox One - 6L600001

Microsoft Kinect Sensor For Xbox One - 6L600001

You Are The Controller/ Command Your TV And Even Make Skype Calls In HD/ Control Games Using Your Just Body, Voice, And Gestures/ For Use With Xbox On...
Abt Electronics

Microsoft Jr9-00011 Xbox360 Wrls Controller

Microsoft Jr9-00011 Xbox360 Wrls Controller

Welcome to Our ebay store... Shop categories Shop Pages Product Information MICROSOFT JR9-00011 XBOX360 WRLS CONTROLLER Item#: 1047562 Brand: MICROSOF...

Microsoft JR9-00011 Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - game pad - wireless - 2.4 GHz

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Game pad - wireless - 2.4 GHz - black - for Xbox 360 Xbox 360 S
MacMall
Microsoft - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for PC & Xbox 360

Microsoft - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for PC & Xbox 360

Enhance your gaming with this ergonomically designed Microsoft Xbox 360 JR9-00011 controller that features 2.4GHz wireless technology to provide an up...
Best Buy

Xbox Wired Controller Green For Microsoft Xbox 3909

Xbox Wired Controller Green For Microsoft Xbox 3909

Xbox Wired Controller Green for Microsoft XBOX First Gen Console NEW Click to view supersized image The Xbox Controller features dual analog joysticks...

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller For Windows

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller For Windows

- Brand NEW items - FREE standard shipping - Easy returns NEW Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows Our price $52.32 $70.95 NOW ONLY Two-...

Xbox Wired Controller Blue For Microsoft Xbox M03909

Xbox Wired Controller Blue For Microsoft Xbox M03909

Xbox Wired Controller BLUE for Microsoft XBOX M03909 Click to see supersized image The Xbox Controller features dual analog joysticks, full analog pre...

Microsoft 52A-00004 Xbox 360 Controller for Windows - game pad - wired

Microsoft 52A-00004 Xbox 360 Controller for Windows - game pad - wired

Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows - Game pad - wired - for PC Microsoft Xbox 360
MacMall
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Xbox 360 500GB Media Hard Drive - Hard drive - 500 GB - removable - for Xbox 360

With the larger Xbox 360 500GB Media Hard Drive, you'll get more space for games, HD movies, and demos. Device Type: Hard drive - removable Ca...
Dell

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller For Windows - Wireless - Radio (jr900011)

Browse our Store | Ask a Question | Return Policy | Promotions | About Us Product Description Specification Payment Shipping Returns Microsoft Xbox 36...