Microsoft LIFECHAT LX-3000 Black Headband Headsets Reviews

Microsoft LIFECHAT LX-3000 Black Headband Headsets

Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 Headset

Jan 30, 2009

Pros:audio is good, affordable, digital usb, comfortable

Cons:none

The Bottom Line:

The Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 Headset is super comfortable, has great audio quality, and comes at an affordable price.

I've toyed around with buying a microphone for my computer for years, but always decided not to bother since I am on dialup. I use a few instant messengers, Windows Live Messengerbeing one of them. I thought it might be cool to do a voice chat with some of my contacts, but again, didn't want to waste my money (my dialup is from the Stone Age).It must be close to 2 years ago, well, I ordered two of these from Microsoft from a promo they had because it wouldn't cost anything. Also, my speakers are pretty terrible and I figured if this headset had decent audio quality I could just use them instead of my computer's speakers. My daughter listens to a lot of music on here and plays a lot of online games and this would be something she could use and my T.V. wouldn't bother her (or vice versa).

The Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 Headset is a stereo USB headset and microphonecombo. It comes in a clear plastic packaging and will require scissors to cut the seal and remove the headset. It comes with an installation disk that pretty much installs itself once you place it in your drive. After the installation, you'll need to plug the headset into your computer's USB port in order for your computer to detect it. One thing the installation process pretty much begs form you, is to install Windows Live Messenger. It's pretty much built in and even has a button that will take you there for quick access chat. If you are buying this for gaming, or any other reason other than to talk on Windows Live you may find this headset super annoying. There's a call button that can be pressed by accident which will either take you to Windows Live...or try and take you through the installation process if you don't have it already. To use with Windows Live is the reason I wanted this particular model, and so this never bothered me.

The headset is fairly large and incredibly comfortable. The "leatherette" foam pads over the earpiece rest comfortably over your ears and since the headset is adjustable, my daughter and I both can use this. This also features a pivoting boom microphone (that's noise cancelling) that has a 180 degree movement. You can move this as close or as far away from your mouth as you like.

The cable is a 6 footer and can be a little bothersome if you are not one of those types who like to sit still at the computer (my daughter ...typical kid...likes to get up and dance if listening to music with these). The section down the cable that features all the important buttons is a tad bulky and adds weight to the headset, you see.

A couple of feet down the cable from the headset itself is a section with several buttons on it. One of them is a Windows Live Call Button. This one connects you right to Win. Live Mess. and shows you who is online and ready available for a voice call. I think, for me, this is a tad unnecessary because my personal list of contacts is small and I always have Live running anyway and it takes seconds to do what this button does, manually. But, if you are listening to music through Windows and someone calls YOU, this call button will automatically take you from your music right to the call. It can be useful for this reason.

Another button will cut the microphone on or off, just by pressing it. There's a red light to let you know when you're using the mic. And the last buttons are for audio control. It's very easy to use.

Broadband is recommended for this headset, but it works just fine with my junky dialup. (You also have to have Microsoft XP or Vista) I used it right out of the package with a friend of mine in another state just to ry it out. The audio was great; I could hear him loud and clear. He also reported to hear me perfectly. The whole connection process was pretty painless and only took a few seconds. I have not tried this with other voice chat sites, but I do not see why it would not work. I have used the headset for listening to music or watching videos on the computer and can comment on that. I think the audio quality is excellent, and I have never had to cut it to full volume to listen to anything. The sound is crisp and clear and it won't bother "outsiders". By this, I mean the other people in the room....they won't hear what you are listening to. I'm loving this because my daughter can play her Sims games or Fate (or whatever) and I don't have to shout at her to cut it down. (And she's better off too because she doesn't have to cut it up to cancel out the TV. These also cancel out most of the outside noise as well!)

This has been an awesome headset for me. It is pretty cheap in the stores, and the audio is great. I mentioned that I received 2 of them. It's been almost 2 years and one is still sealed in the package. I've never had a problem with this headset and it works just as good as when we first pulled it out of the package. I would recommend it, for sure. Especially if you are a user of Windows Live Messenger.

Color: One Color Features: Optimized for Windows Live Messenger Noise-canceling microphone Leatherette ear pads Flexible six-foot cable In-line volume...
Feature: Model : JUG-00001 Manufacturer Description Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Do more things together when you're apart with Skype video calling Digi...