Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 Web Cam Reviews

4 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Perfect for Skype

Sep 12, 2009

Pros:Easy to install, nice design.

Cons:Rubber base may not satisfy if it gets knocked off.

The Bottom Line: Highly recommended if you want a good quality camera/microphone for a reasonable price.

I wanted to add a video camera to my Dell desktop running Windows XP to use with Skype.  The Microsoft VX-5000 LifeCam is well-designed and looks great.  I didn't like some of the other bulky cameras on the market especially the ball-like designs.  The rubbery flexible base is very effective and can be bent to sit on the desk or sit atop the monitor.  It looks much better than clamp-on designs.  Only down side would be if the camera is bumped into: it could fall off the monitor but mine is not located in a vulnerable place.

I plugged the camera into the usb port on my monitor and opted to not install the included software (that ofentimes includes programs and features that I don't need).  Windows immediately recognized the device and off to Skype I went.

When Skype was opened I made a test call and found that I had video but no audio.  I eventually figured out to go to Tools/Options/video settings and selected the webcam as the microphone.  Once that was done it worked great.  There is a small button conveniently located below the lens for muting the audio when desired.

Images are clear and the camera works great even when my room is dimly lit (Skype defaults to auto exposure but can be changed).  I am very pleased with this camera.

Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000

Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000

The LifeCam HD-5000 gives you 720p High Definition and auto focus--plus it's Skype certified, so your next video chat will be crystal-clear.
Microsoft Store

Microsoft LifeCam HD3000 L2

Microsoft LifeCam HD3000 L2

No matter where you go, keep in touch with your friends and family members using the Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000 Webcam. The USB 2.0 interface and unive...

Microsoft  Lifecam Hd-5000 -  7nd-00003 For Windows 7 7nd00003 awesome Cam

Microsoft Lifecam Hd-5000 - 7nd-00003 For Windows 7 7nd00003 awesome Cam

Your Positive Feedback Is Very Important.S atisfaction Is Guaranteed Thank you

Microsoft LifeCam Studio - Web camera - color - audio - Hi-Speed USB

Microsoft LifeCam Studio - Web camera - color - audio - Hi-Speed USB
MacMall
Microsoft LifeCam Cinema Win L2

Microsoft LifeCam Cinema Win L2

Don't miss a thing-enjoy high-quality 720p HD widescreen video together with crystal clear audio, with the LifeCam Cinema. Relax while the camera auto...

Microsoft LifeCam Cinema - Web camera - color - audio - Hi-Speed USB
MacMall

Microsoft LifeCam Cinema - Web camera - color - audio - Hi-Speed USB

Microsoft LifeCam 6CH-00001 Webcam - 30 fps - USB 2.0

Microsoft LifeCam 6CH-00001 Webcam - 30 fps - USB 2.0

Share every detail with friends and family in HD. This full featured webcam, with true 720p HD video, delivers smooth, detailed video and crystal clea...
Office Depot

LifeCam HD-3000 for Business - web camera

LifeCam HD-3000 for Business - web camera

Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 for Business - Web camera - color - 1280 x 720 - audio - USB 2.0