Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 Web Cam Reviews

Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 Web Cam

Perfect for Skype

Sep 12, 2009

Pros:Easy to install, nice design.

Cons:Rubber base may not satisfy if it gets knocked off.

The Bottom Line: Highly recommended if you want a good quality camera/microphone for a reasonable price.

I wanted to add a video camera to my Dell desktop running Windows XP to use with Skype.  The Microsoft VX-5000 LifeCam is well-designed and looks great.  I didn't like some of the other bulky cameras on the market especially the ball-like designs.  The rubbery flexible base is very effective and can be bent to sit on the desk or sit atop the monitor.  It looks much better than clamp-on designs.  Only down side would be if the camera is bumped into: it could fall off the monitor but mine is not located in a vulnerable place.

I plugged the camera into the usb port on my monitor and opted to not install the included software (that ofentimes includes programs and features that I don't need).  Windows immediately recognized the device and off to Skype I went.

When Skype was opened I made a test call and found that I had video but no audio.  I eventually figured out to go to Tools/Options/video settings and selected the webcam as the microphone.  Once that was done it worked great.  There is a small button conveniently located below the lens for muting the audio when desired.

Images are clear and the camera works great even when my room is dimly lit (Skype defaults to auto exposure but can be changed).  I am very pleased with this camera.

LifeCam VX-5000 WinXP/Vista USB Port English (Red)
Product Details World Class VGA Optics - see more clearly with 2x the light collection than regular VGA optics Superior Low-light Performance - auto-a...