Microsoft NSF00001 Gamepad Reviews

Microsoft NSF00001 Gamepad

Good For Playing Games, Despite A Few Flaws

May 17, 2011 (Updated Dec 13, 2011)

Pros:Nice feel
Good layout of buttons
Excellent battery life
Looks cool

Cons:D-pad is horrible

The Bottom Line: 37/40
Considering this is a first-party controller, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better.

The Xbox 360 Wireless Controller is a pretty good controller. Here's why:

Layout: 10/10
Every button on this controller is put in an appropriate place. They are all within easy reach and are easy to find. I have a small complaint about the start button being so close to the guide button (I accidently press guide when I'm trying to hit start), but this is probably because I have big thumbs :p.

Responsiveness: 7/10
Most of the buttons on this controller are responsive enough except for one, which is the d-pad. Honestly, the d-pad on this controller is horrible. From closer inspection, it appears that it is basically a modified control stick with a directional pad plate thingy put on top, which is different from most d-pads, which just have the + shaped d pad with a cutout in the same shape. Anyway, this modified design is bad because you can try to hit one direction (say right for example) and you'll end up hitting diagonally up or down right, which can be extremely frusterating in some games. Other than the cruddy d-pad, the other buttons are very responsive.

Also, this controller works well even if you are a far distance from your xbox (my xbox is located in my living room, I can go up to my room and still have the controller work).

Battery Life: 10/10
One thing that I've liked about this controller is that it has a good battery life. According to joystiq.com, the battery life of an Xbox 360 controller is 56 hours and 56 minutes, which is stellar. I also like that this controller has an auto shut-off feature, which kicks in if the controller is left untouched for approximately 10 minutes. This ultimately saves a lot of batteries in the long run.

Feel: 10/10
This controller feels great. It has a very nice, natural shape going for it that doesn't feel awkward or too big. Also, the finish material on the controller makes it feel nice and smooth. No complaints here :)