Microsoft 3500 (GMF00015) Wireless Mouse

Awesome Wireless Microsoft Mouse 3500 UPDATED Transceiver jammed in USB port!

Oct 18, 2010 (Updated Nov 6, 2011)

Pros:Excellent shape, design, and functionality. Cute colors. Easy install.

Cons:No automatic shut-off.
Need dedicated USB port.
Transceiver jammed in USB port.

The Bottom Line: Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse could not be any cuter or work more perfectly. However, it did jam in my usb port.

Microsoft Mobile Wireless Mouse 3500 review: I recently purchased a new Sony Vaio Notebook computer for my home office. Even though my VAIO features a very responsive touch pad, I decided to purchase a mouse anyway, since I do a lot of graphics and GIS (geographic information systems) work. Plus, these days you can't surf the net or do just about anything without having to scroll, scroll, scroll lots of windows. Scrolling windows by dragging the scroll bar on a laptop is cumbersome, and if there's a shortcut or trick to using the touch pad for scrolling, I have yet to figure it out. So, I included this Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse in my computer purchase for the low price of about $25 ~ and I'm very glad I did!

UPDATE: The wireless transceiver plugged into my USB port got pushed all the way into my notebook! Somehow, the notebook was jostled or dropped and the transceiver got jammed into my VAIO. My husband had to remove it very carefully, but now the USB port is stuck inside my computer and isn't functional. I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but I'm not anxious to open up my VAIO and attempt to fix it. I just want to warn other owners that it could happen to you, so be especially careful toting your computer around with the transceiver plugged in. Now, the rest of my review:

Look and Feel: My new Microsoft Mobile Mouse is so cute. It comes in lots of colors like Sea Blue and Poppy Red, but I chose Imperial Purple just because purple is my favorite color. The colored portion is slightly metallic, and its curvaceous body is a combination of shiny black with matte black sides. The mouse itself is about half the size of my old, clunky Logitech mouse. Instead of looking and feeling like a bar of soap, this mouse is shorter, curvier and fits perfectly in the palm of my cupped hand. I have fairly small hands, so the size is perfect for me. The matte sides feel slightly rubbery, which keeps it from slipping.

Installation and portability: I had no trouble installing this wireless mouse. I simply added a double-A (AA) battery into the bottom compartment of the mouse and plugged the transceiver into one of my three USB ports in the front of my VAIO. The driver software installed automatically, and my mouse was operable just minutes later. The transceiver can indeed be stored in the bottom of the mouse for transport. Or, you can leave it plugged into your USB port if you like. The transceiver is very tiny, though, and could easily be misplaced if you're careless.

This mouse has several handy features, which I will critique as follows:

BlueTrack™ Technology combines the power of optical with the precision of laser for remarkable tracking on virtually any surface (from product description):  Yes, I agree this mouse tracks beautifully. I have even used it on top of magazines and on the couch, and as long as the surface is not too rough or slanted, the mouse tracks smoothly. It is very precise. I don't need to make great strides to scoot the cursor from one end of the screen to the other.

On/off switch to conserve battery: Well, yes, there is a switch on the bottom. However, I rarely remember to turn it off, even after I've shut down my computer. Microsoft could have improved this mouse by programming it to shut off automatically when it has been stationary for awhile, or when the computer is shut down. Frankly, I don't know how to remind myself to turn it off!

Ambidextrous design: Yes, this mouse definitely works well and is comfortable when used either in my right or left hand. You can switch the right and left button settings (and other properties) from the control panel. The design for left and right clicks functions effortlessly. The scroll wheel is ribbed and scrolls effectively.

Final thoughts: Overall, I love navigating my notebook with this handy, cute, wireless mouse, and think it's practically perfect! Its only flaw I've noticed is the lack of an auto-shut-off feature. And, it's kind of a bummer when I've got both external drives attached via USB port and I need to print something (via USB) which means I need to free up a USB port by temporarily removing the mouse transceiver.

As far as shape, design and functionality, it is an excellent input accessory for any computer with an extra USB port to dedicate for this purpose.

Gmf-00175 Wireless Mobile 3500 Mouse Microsoft Gmf00175

Gmf-00175 Wireless Mobile 3500 Mouse Microsoft Gmf00175

Wireless Mobile 3500 Mouse P/N: GMF-00175 Manufacturer: Microsoft Comfort and Style on the Go You'll appreciate how this wireless mobile mouse comfort...

Gmf-00030 3500 Mouse Microsoft Gmf00030

Gmf-00030 3500 Mouse Microsoft Gmf00030

3500 Mouse P/N: GMF-00030 Manufacturer: Microsoft The Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 gives consumers Nano portability and wireless freedom in a ...

Microsoft 3500 Wireless Mobile Mouse - Microsoft - GMF-00010

Microsoft 3500 Wireless Mobile Mouse - Microsoft - GMF-00010

Microsoft - GMF-00010 Microsoft 3500 Wireless Mobile Mouse Wireless - Gray - USB

Microsoft Hardware Gmf-00175 Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Flame Red Gloss Mac Win

Microsoft Hardware Gmf-00175 Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Flame Red Gloss Mac Win

The Lotoons Store NEW MICROSOFT HARDWARE GMF-00175 WIRELESS MOBILE MOUSE 3500 FLAME RED GLOSS MAC WIN HW 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPIN...

[new] Microsoft Gmf-00185 Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Flame Red

[new] Microsoft Gmf-00185 Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Flame Red

The Perfect Christmas Gift Microsoft GMF-00185 Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Flame Red Item Description New Retail Sealed Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse...

MICROSOFT GMF-00175 WRLSS MOB MSE 3500 FLAME RED
Microsoft Gmf-00172 Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Limited Edition-cobalt Blue Gloss

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse3500 GMF-00172 Cobalt Blue 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB RF Wireless BlueTrack 1000 dpi Mouse Introduction Comfort and Style ...