Microsoft Notebook 3000 Wireless Optical Mouse Reviews

Microsoft Notebook 3000 Wireless Optical Mouse

This Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse has been a true lifesaver

Mar 13, 2009

Pros:Easy to install, Works on any surface, No wires

Cons:Umm, it can be kind of heavy in your purse (or murse)?

The Bottom Line: The Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse is a lifesaver for people who are fed up with traditional mice or sensitive touch pads.

I originally purchased a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse because I despised the touch pad on my laptop. That thing is so sensitive that I frequently end up clicking on links I never had any intention of clicking on. I desperately wanted a real mouse. One that did not require wires or use a ball seemed ideal. So, I decided to copycat my husband and pick up one of these beautiful creations.

Physical Details
This particular Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse is about three inches long, two inches wide (at its widest point) and an inch high in the middle. Color-wise, it features two tones of blue, with an extra bluish-silver in between.

I have relatively small hands for an adult, and this mouse feels like it was made to fit my right hand. There are finger indentations that run the length of the right- and left-click buttons that surround the clear scroll button in the middle. The Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse also curves underneath the fattest part, leaving a nice resting position for my thumb and ring fingers.

Getting started
Before you start using the mouse, you will need to push the little silver button in the bottom rear of the mouse, which will then pop open the battery hatch. The Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse requires one AA battery to operate, which will last a long time. In the two and a half years I have owned this mouse, I have not yet had to change the battery.

"Installing" this mouse is a piece of cake. Tucked under the bottom of the mouse is a USB outlet, which you can plug into the USB port of your laptop or desktop units. The USB plug can also swivel vertically or horizontally depending on the positioning of your USB port, so that you can rearrange to your comfort. With my Dell Inspiron, I have found that the positioning of the plug does not make a difference in the ease of use for the mouse.

The very first time you plug the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse into your computer, it takes a minute for the computer to recognize the new hardware, but each time after that, the CPU should recognize the mouse almost instantly. I know that some mice come with an installation disc, but I have not needed one to get started on either of my home Dells, or the Hewlett Packard PC's we use at work.

Easy operation, or "how I became a trendsetter at work"
I work in an office with shared workstations. Not only do I not know how many people will be using my preferred desk in a day, I don't even know which desk I will end up with when I get to work. There is one thing I can rely on, however: no matter which desk I end up with, it will have a crappy mouse. Not only will the ball and rollers be unresponsive (no matter how often they are cleaned), but the wire is too short to move the mouse very far from its origin.

Since I started bringing in my Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse, I have received all kinds of sweet offers from co-workers, in exchange for the privilege of using my mouse when my shift ends. One afternoon with my mouse also inspired a co-worker to buy his own mouse.

What's so great about using the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse?
Well, having one less wire around your computer is nice. At work, I really appreciate not having to yank the wire out of its comfort zone to get me into my own comfort zone.

More significantly, the fact that the mouse works optically, instead of with balls and rollers is really nice. I no longer need to worry about the mouse ball getting stuck on a lump in the pad, because I don't even need a mouse pad! In fact, the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse works better without a mouse pad. Sometimes, with a regular mouse, you have to trouble shoot in order to find out what the problem is: bad mouse pad, dirty ball, dirty rollers, wrong day of the week, etc. With the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse, there is nothing to troubleshoot.

Final Recommendation
I have used the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse with both a laptop and a desktop for the past couple years. It is much more convenient than a traditional mouse, and much more accurate than a touch pad. If you are ever even slightly irritated with either of those methods, you should pick up the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse.

Microsoft 3000 3-button Wireless Notebook Optical Scroll Mouse (gray)

Microsoft 3000 3-button Wireless Notebook Optical Scroll Mouse (gray)

The Lotoons Store Microsoft 3000 3-Button Wireless Notebook Optical Scroll Mouse (Gray) 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYERS 3...

Microsoft Wireless Notebook Opitcal Mouse 3000 Usb Original Packaging

Microsoft Wireless Notebook Opitcal Mouse 3000 Usb Original Packaging

Up for sale is one new Microsoft Wireless Notebook Opitcal Mouse 3000 with USB compatibility. PC/Mac. Still in original packaging. Batteries included ...

Microsoft Wired Notebook Compact Optical Mouse500

Microsoft Wired Notebook Compact Optical Mouse500

A better way to work. This wired USB mouse uses an optical sensor to navigate with speed, accuracy, and reliability. From Microsoft.
QVC

Microsoft(R) Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500, Gray

Microsoft(R) Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500, Gray

BlueTrack Technology allows tracking on many surfaces Advanced optical technology allows use on more surfaces than either an optical or laser mouse. W...
Office Depot

Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 - Pomegranate Red

Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 - Pomegranate Red

Snap-in Receiver Scroll Wheel Left or Right Hand Design Ergonomic Design Rubber-sided Grip
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Black

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Black

Item Description Payment Checkout Domestic Shipping Return Policy Contact Us Items Description Microsoft BlueTrack Technology - Works on more surfaces...

Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 - Brand Factory Sealed U81-00009

Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 - Brand Factory Sealed U81-00009

Microsoft Compact Wired Optical 500 USB Mouse (U81-00010) From the manufacturer The compact size of this three-button mouse makes it the perfect noteb...

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business; 5-Pack

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business; 5-Pack

Easy to set up and use right out of the box. Quick and precise navigation; high-performance 1,000dpi optical sensor delivers greater accuracy and cont...
Quill.com

Microsoft 2EF-00002 Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000

Microsoft 2EF-00002 Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000

Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000 is a 2.4 GHz wireless mouse with a connectivity range of up to 30 feet and a DPI resolution of 1000.
MacMall
Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business - Mouse - optical - 3 buttons - wired - USB - black 35H-00006