Microsoft ZHA-00001 Wireless Media Desktop 1000 (Black) (882224649155) Mouse

Affordable Basic Wireless Keyboard and Mouse for Home Office

Jun 12, 2009 (Updated Aug 1, 2009)

Pros:Reasonably priced
Fits neatly into most older under-desk keyboard trays
Accurate keyboard
Good battery life

Cons:Short-range wireless transmitter
Few advanced features

The Bottom Line: Recommended (within its limitations), especially to increase usability of home office desktop or PC

After purchasing a new HP notebook PC to replace my old Dell desktop in my home office, I ran into a dilemma - the new notebook didn’t like my old desk.  The old desk had a high writing surface sized to my tall torso; when I had the desktop, I used a keyboard mounted underneath the table.  The new PC’s keyboard was uncomfortably high when placed atop the desk, and its sensitive keypad could not be operated without numerous errors in such a position.  I bought the Microsoft Media 1000 Wireless Desktop (Transmitter, Keyboard and Optical Mouse) to solve this problem.  I have owned this product now for six months (Aug '09).

Wireless Keyboard
The new Microsoft keyboard is small and narrow enough to fit neatly on the under-desk tray that held the old desktop keypad.  The keys are slightly concave and adequately large for my fat fingers.  Key touch is a bit stiffer and springier, with a ‘low’ or less-sensitive touch than on the new notebook, and a bit mushier – I actually like this as it resembles the action of my old Dell desktop keypad, and requires less ‘re-learning’ to resume touch-typing.  Most importantly, the 1000‘s keyboard is accurate -  you type a keystroke, it enters the correct keystroke.

The keyboard has a few other features which may be of interest to some users, including a standard separate numeric keypad, a Windows Start button, a 'Flip 3D' option (you press this key to display a 3D overlay of all open windows and cycle through them), 'hot' keys giving one-touch access to your Windows Media® Player, e-mail, documents, photos, or instant messaging, and several keys that may be custom-set to favorite files or folders.  After six months of daily use I am still using the original alkaline batteries in the keyboard.

Wireless Optical Mouse
The Microsoft 1000 Optical Mouse supplied with the desktop set has a good heavy feel to it, and, with the brief exception of a strange page scrolling issue (noted below), has worked reliably.  Battery life (2 AA cells) is good but not great - I had to replace the mouse batteries at five months due to a low battery warning instead of the advertised six months' duration.  The hard composite body has a slightly tactile surface, and is well-shaped.  It has a scroll wheel function that many Microsoft mice now use.  I only use the mouse for general office/Word production and the internet, but it seems precise enough for general PC use.

Wireless Operation and Use
With the keyboard mounted directly beneath the PC, obviously wireless range should not be an issue for me with either the keyboard or the optical mouse.  However, I would note that the wireless transmitter must be placed to either side of the opened notebook screen or desktop monitor (never directly behind it) in order to prevent interference and obtain reliable reception.

Within an hour I had quickly adapted to the new wireless keyboard and mouse, touch- typing a report without errors, always the sign of a good computer accessory to my way of thinking.  By sunset I had lingered overlong on a report without turning on the room light, and realized I had not been hunting for symbols on the keys for some time.

The wireless transmitter takes up one USB port on my notebook, while providing operation to two components (keyboard and mouse).  With another port attached to a printer, I still have one USB port available for other connections.  Neither the keyboard nor the mouse show any visible wear, worn-off lettering, sticking keys, or other signs of heavy use.

In the last two months I have twice noticed instances of uncontrolled scrolling (page moves up or down despite user attempts to stabilize or control page position) while in one or more open windows with vertical scrolling bars.  I am relatively certain this phenomenon is due to the wireless mouse and/or its transmitter, as switching to a wired mouse solved the problem.  Later, I went back to the Microsoft wireless mouse, and the problem has not reoccurred.  I do not think it is tied to low battery level.  I have noticed a few similar complaints from other wireless mouse users of different brands.

Conclusion
With a maximum range of only about six feet, this wireless desktop set is not well suited to portable use outside or around a large room.  For use with a desktop or desk-mounted notebook, however, it works just fine, and it doesn't cost very much, either.  For anyone with a home office needing a more comfortable or portable keyboard for an existing desktop or desk-mounted notebook PC, the Microsoft Wireless Media Desktop 1000 is a good choice.

Microsoft 2LF-00001 Wireless Desktop 800

Microsoft 2LF-00001 Wireless Desktop 800

Secured connection, wireless performance Secure wireless connection Easy-access hot keys Optimized power management
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 - M7J00001

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 - M7J00001

Advanced Encryption Standard/ Taskbar Favorites For Windows 7/ Pillow-Textured Palm Rest/ BlueTrack Technology/ Battery Status Indicator/ Wireless Fre...
Abt Electronics

Microsoft M7j-00001wireless Desktop 2000 Usb Keyboard And Mouse- Bluetrack A0a3

Microsoft M7j-00001wireless Desktop 2000 Usb Keyboard And Mouse- Bluetrack A0a3

Unlike standard keyboards, this one features Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), which can help protect your personal and business information by encr...

Microsoft E6K-00001 Wireless Keyboard 2000

Microsoft E6K-00001 Wireless Keyboard 2000

Make things easier when you're at your computer with the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000. This wireless keyboards design is flat to make it easy to t...

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse

Enjoy Reliable Wireless and Precise ControlControl and convenience are at your fingertips with this compact keyboard and reliable mouse. The strong an...
Office Depot

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800

Get the freedom and convenience of wireless technology with this affordable keyboard and mouse set.
Microsoft Store

Microsoft - Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard & Mouse for Business, Computer Accessories

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard & Mouse for Business Control and convenience are at your fingertips with the compact Microsoft Wireless Deskto...
Adorama

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 7000 Wta-00001 Wireless Keyboard Great Gift Present

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 7000 Wta-00001 Wireless Keyboard Great Gift Present

Brand New and Sealed!Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Advanced Ergonomic Keyboard and Mouse design.Promotes natura...