Microsoft ZHA-00001 Wireless Media Desktop 1000 (Black) (882224649155) Mouse

Erratic, frustrating and miserably documented

May 14, 2010 (Updated May 19, 2010)

Pros:None. Really, this is a poor input solution.

Cons:Poor connectivity. Erratic, Freezes. No scroll/resizing.   Poor cursor control. Very unresponsive.

The Bottom Line: Spend a little more on Logitech. It may function with some systems, but your time is too valuable to put it to the test.

Forced to change because my dependable Logitech keyboard and mouse simply wore out, I opted for the reasonably priced MS wireless package at my local computer store, and regret it profoundly.
This is a relatively basic keyboard with good silent key strokes and a number of extra keys - superfluous for a seasoned user --open a file, open mail, send mail, open desktop, etc, plus on keyboard volume controls, chat button.; The effects are more easily achieved with mouse and key strokes.

Neither the mouse or the keyboard is adequately responsive for me. I find the keyboard somehow less comfortable than the more egonomic Logitech keyboard it replaced and the hard but quieter keys disconcerting. This could be just a taste issue. More important, howeer, is that the keyboard does not always pick up key commands like ctrl+ c or ctrl +v immediately. That means interrupting a central cut and paste operation to go back and get missing pieces - more than an annoyance. Aside from that the keyboard types adequately, although it feels a little sluggish to me.

The mouse is a different matter. I struggled with it for about two weeks , and it cost me about 50% in efficiency.

Physically the mouse has clingy, sticky feet, which hang on a smooth surface (deaktop), causing jerks and imprecise cursor movement, I overshot and had to hover to reach my intended goal, word or icon.. The body is small and not particularly comfortable.  It is lighter than other models and feel flimsy.

The mouse has the usual right and left buttons, which can be reprogrammed to perform a great number of strange and undefined tasks, and the usual scroll bar, which works sporadically.,

Transmitter reach  is not as stated 6 ft but about 2 - 3.  My CPU sits about four feet behind my back, so plugging directly into the box didn't work.  The transmitter took up valuable deaktop real estate, defeating the reason for having a wireless mouse in the first place: a clean desktop.

Even with the transmitter at close range,  performance is spotty and eratic.  I was surprised to see a warning that my connection was weak after using both keyboard and mouse for a couple of days. I replaced the batteries. After a few more days I received the message again. The mouse has stopped completely or frozen after a period of two hours idle.

The second time I chose to try trouble shooting, which instructed to reboot, take out and replace the new batteries, turn off and reconnect the wireless unit and eventually reinstall the software. All this being done twice,the set still malfunctions.

Microsoft's online help instructs that the transmitter be connected directly to the computer and not to a hub, which is not really practical. It also states that the hub should not be anywhere near eletronic equipment..say a computer, a hub, a USB hard drive, a printer, a phone. Also impractical if not impossible in a small office.

The scroll wheel feels flimsy and is barely functional.

Scrolling - a great advantage for anyone working with large documents or web sites - rately works and never works well.
The performance of the scroll is erratic and allows for no real control. It will scroll a line or two, then jump a few pages, or do nothing, or shoot straight to the end. At times you can twirl the wheel until you are blue in the face..the page doesn't budge. Speed settings appear to have no effect.

On first installation the wheel would scroll down about half a page, regardless of the size of the document, then tile all of the documents on the desktop. I assume this is a feature, but the poor documentaion has little mention of which one.  At any rate, reaching the end of the document had to be donw with the down keys.

With this function somehow disabled (the wheel was then set to auto scroll) the cursor would occasinally just shoot straight  to the end of a document or jumps several pages..

The alternate scroll method, depressing the mouse button and dragging the entire mouse toward or away from yourself fails on a number of fronts: Erratic speeds and behaviors, the problem of space with long documents and the sticky pads which make smooth dragging impossible, as the cursor lurches downward on the page.

The other great advantage of a scrolling mouse - adjusting page and font size, generally achieved by holding down ctrl while using the scroll button - is a sometimes and unpredictable process..jumpy and frustrating, the result often switching from no response to 200% in a flash, interrupted by the occasional random, jerky scroll.

Cursor control is enormously frustrating. The mouse either overshoots  or bypasses the intended icon or word. This, too, is jerky and eratic or there is a lag.  The feeling is a bit akin to trying to thread a needle while not quite sober in a rowboat.

Any process initiated causes a n expanding ring to appear around the cursor. Oddand irritating if you are trying to focus on content. The ring disappears and the process ceases.

Checking hardware settings, device manager, etc shows a perfectly functioning input device. This may be an IO conflict or other issue, but nothing of the sort shows in hardware under System.

Enclosed documentation is a strip of pictures. The included help files do not address these issues..help search files bring up pages not even remotely related to them. Following MS online instructions is not ettective.

Troubleshooting (pretty useless as with most problems) online MS support offer these solutions : Reconnecting the devices, new batteries, reinstalling the software, trying a different port. While the batteries seemed to improve things a bit, the problems were not resolved.

The connection process is unnecessarily difficult, as the buttons on both keyboard and mouse are recessed and soft, making it impossible to hold them down with a finger or fingernail.  The best thing is to put it on a towel on the desk and use a pencil while pressing the button on the connecting unit. Like the rest of the process, this is extremely annoying.

Much rarer is a slight cursor drift from time to time, which then stops.

This keyboard and mouse pair is being used on an otherwise healthy XP desktop with no other input devices, about 4 gb of memory, more than sufficient for its non gaming and non media purpose.

After fussing with the mouse I remembered that I had bought a MS wireless outfit years ago, before Logitech, and that I had taken it back due to similar issues. It simply did not work correctly. Unfortunately, I threw away the box for this and am thus out $50.

I have since been able to get the Logitech set up and running, and I appreciate the responsiveness and control enormously.

Your money and your time are too valuable to get involved with MS wireless products.

Amount Paid (US$): 50 tax

Microsoft 2lf-00001 Wireless Desktop 800

Microsoft 2lf-00001 Wireless Desktop 800

Microsoft 2lf-00001, 2lf-00001 Wireless Desktop 800, Upc: 0885370165258
Microsoft 2LF-00001 Wireless Desktop 800 USB

Microsoft 2LF-00001 Wireless Desktop 800 USB

Control and convenience are at your fingertips with the Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. The strong and secured wireless signal allows you to ch...

Microsoft Desktop 2000 M7j-00001 Wireless Keyboard

Microsoft Desktop 2000 M7j-00001 Wireless Keyboard

Unlike standard keyboards, this one features Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), which can help protect your personal and business information by encr...

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 - M7J00001

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 - M7J00001

Advanced Encryption Standard/ Taskbar Favorites For Windows 7/ Pillow-Textured Palm Rest/ BlueTrack Technology/ Battery Status Indicator/ Wireless Fre...
Abt Electronics

MICROSOFT HARDWARE 2LF-00001 WIRELESS DESKTOP 800 USB

MICROSOFT HARDWARE 2LF-00001 WIRELESS DESKTOP 800 USB

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse - USB Wireless RF Keyboard - English (North America) - USB Wireless RF Mouse - Optical
Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse 2LF-00001 Desktop 800 Combo 1Pack Wireless USB English Retail

MICROSOFT WIRELESS DESKTOP 2000 KEYBOARD (M7J-00001)

MICROSOFT WIRELESS DESKTOP 2000 KEYBOARD (M7J-00001)

WIRELESS DESKTOP 2000 KEYBOARD MPN: M7J-00001
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800

Get the freedom and convenience of wireless technology with this affordable keyboard and mouse set.
Microsoft Store

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 for Business - Keyboard and mouse set - 2.4 GHz - English - North America - black 5SH-00001

Brand Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 E6k-00001

Brand Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 E6k-00001

SquareTrade © AP6.0 BRAND NEW SEALED Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 E6K-00001 **** Not Refurbished! Never Used! Never Opened!**** Wireless Keyboard ...