Microtouch Max Trimmer and Grooming Kit Reviews

Microtouch Max Trimmer and Grooming Kit

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Is Microtouch Max Worth It?

May 13, 2011 (Updated Sep 3, 2011)
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Battery Life:
  • Effectiveness:

Pros:Trimmer works well (so far), LED light, add-on trim guards

Cons:DO NOT buy the "free" grooming kit

The Bottom Line: Trimmer's okay but skip the "free" $6.99 grooming kit - it's a joke.  The trimmer (alone) is 3.75 stars.

Let's face it (no pun intended) when guys get older, hair becomes a two-sided issue. On one hand, we lose the hair on the top of our heads yet gain a furry underbrush of hair in our noses and on our ears!  Really?  Do we become more susceptible to tiny bugs and dust particles as we age?  I just don't get the point of ear hair.  You've seen them... the guys with wads of hair on their lobes that resemble a steel wool pad. Ya gotta love evolution.

My grooming ritual has started to include weed whacking the hair on my ears and trimming those errant nostril hairs. To do so requires a micro-sized hair trimmer. The one I've been using finally died - well the switch died, so I saw the commercial for this trimmer during an NHL playoff commercial break. I wrote the number down and logged into their website the next day.

Ordering online was a bit strange.  I logged on to their website and landed on their main page that shows the product, the video version of the TV ad and an area to fill in my order info.  As I started to fill in my info, I noticed that there really wasn't a large enough image of the "free" grooming kit they're "giving away" with every order.  I don't like this new trend that offers "FREE" things IF you pay separate shipping and processing - in other words, we're paying for the items.

I got a bad feeling during my impulse buy, so I clicked out of the window. A large banner stopped me from doing so and offered me $5 off my order if I reconsider. I thought about it for a second and decided to press on with the order.  I mean, I did need a new trimmer. Once the info was completed, USUALLY, you're taken to a screen that you're supposed to look over everything and click submit.  Not this site.  Before I knew it, I had placed my order.  Then this site hit me with all sorts of "special offers" now that I have ordered from them.  After FOUR "no thanks" clicks I was done.  I have another bad feeling that my info will somehow be sent to other companies and the junk mail onslaught will hit me like a wet fish.

Boy, was I right about the "FREE" grooming kit.  Trust me when I tell you to save your "separate processing fee" and skip the grooming kit.  The "imported" kit includes a small and flimsy plastic shoe horn, two nail clippers, a comb, a travel tooth brush, a nail file/nail cleaner, a lint brush and storage areas for the trimmers and spare parts. This kit is NOT worth the FREE $6.99 shipping. My big hint should have been that their site doesn't allow you to examine the grooming kit in a large enough image to see what's included nor does the site list what it comes with.

So I stupidly paid a total of $13.98 to ship a small box (weighing 12.8 ounces) from a city that happens to be less than fifty miles from my home.  Boy, do I feel taken. Hopefully, people will read this review and not make the same mistake.  Again, JUST order the trimmer and NOT the free grooming kit. The upshot is that it got to my house three days after I ordered it.

The trimmer does work as advertised.  The light on mine works fine - even though there are many who complain that the tiny LED light on theirs doesn't work. The micro-sized trimmer blades do not cut my skin or irritate in any way - BUT when using the tip of the blade in your nostrils, caution should be used. The noise level is actually less than the trimmer I just replaced.  Since my wife hasn't used it to trim hair on her legs, I can't speak to the effectiveness in that scenario. The kit also comes with three snap-in trim guards for trimming goatees, side burns and eye brows.  They come in lengths of 2, 4 and 6 mm.  I used the 2mm on my eyebrows this morning and I have to say, my brows look all bushy.  It leaves them neatly trimmed, neatly aligned and at a uniform length.

The trimmer uses one AAA battery and the kit comes with two generic brand batteries. The battery is housed in the tail end of the trimmer. It's color motif consists of lime green, white and silver.

Now that I'm stuck with the zippered case with its MicroTouch Max logo emblazoned on it, I guess it's okay since it keeps the trimmer and spare parts in one place and easily packaged for travel.

One of the offers on their site is for three spare trimming heads. I'll let you know how long my original trimmer heads lasts when it becomes an issue.

UPDATE: I just saw an ad for the women's version of this trimmer.  It's white and has an adjustable head for various angles.  In lieu of the grooming kit, it comes with a lighted compact mirror.  Again, I don't see the point of paying for the "extra shipping and processing."

The bottom line is CALL THEM, so you don't have to accept the cheapo grooming kit that you really wind up paying for. Oddly enough, there's no option to buy the trimmer by itself on their site. So paying $9.99 for the trimmer and $6.99 for the shipping is an okay deal... I guess. But paying for a grooming kit (that you could probably find at a 99 cent store) is a complete waste.

As a side note, I have read that their original (first generation) trimmer is actually better build quality. Also, these trimmers are available at Amazon.com for $9.99 and they don't force you into paying for the "free" grooming kit.

I rate the trimmer 3.75 stars (so far). I can recommend the trimmer by itself.

I rate the grooming kit (based on price and poor quality) - 1/2 star and do NOT recommend it in any way.

Happy Grooming

Noise Level: More quiet than most

Microtouch Switchblade As Seen On Tv Hair Trimmer Shaver Grooming Remover Remove

As Seen On TV MicroTouch Switchblade MicroTouch Switchblade Features:Men's 2-In-1 Hair Trimmer Cordless runs on 2 AA's (not included)Precision snap-on...

2in1 Hair Trimmer As Seen On Tv Microtouch Switchblade Shaver Grooming Original

2in1 Hair Trimmer As Seen On Tv Microtouch Switchblade Shaver Grooming Original

2in1 Hair Trimmer As Seen on TV MicroTouch Switchblade Shaver Grooming Original NEW IN SEALED PACKAGE SMOKE FREE PET FREE ENVIRONMENT Check out my oth...

N22 Authentic Microtouch Max Personal Hair Trimmer - Micro Touch Clippers

N22 Authentic Microtouch Max Personal Hair Trimmer - Micro Touch Clippers

This listing is for one BRAND NEW MicroTouch MAX Precision Home/Travel Personal Portable Hair Trimmer.This unit is BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED by MANUFAC...

C72 Two Pack Microtouch Max Personal Hair Trimmer - Micro Touch Clippers

C72 Two Pack Microtouch Max Personal Hair Trimmer - Micro Touch Clippers

This listing is for 2 BRAND NEW MicroTouch MAX Precision Home/Travel Personal Portable Hair Trimmer.This unit is BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED by MANUFACTU...

As Seen On Tv Trimmer Grooming Kit Pack Of 10

As Seen On Tv Trimmer Grooming Kit Pack Of 10

As Seen on TV 371886 as seen on tv Trimmer Grooming Kit - Pack of 10 Description Grooming kit includes a clipper with an attachment scissors and a com...

MicroTouch Switchblade 2-In-1 Trimmer/Groomer
Mens Travel Grooming Kit Trimmer Hair Nose Ear Face Shaver 11 Piece Wahl Clipper

Beard trimmer with five-position guide lets you create precise trims and looks High-carbon steel maintains sharpness Storage base keeps pieces organiz...

Remington Head To Toe Grooming Kit Pg-525 Trimmer With Interchangeable Heads

Remington Head To Toe Grooming Kit Pg-525 Trimmer With Interchangeable Heads

New in original sealed package. Remington Head to Toe Lithium powered grooming kit PG-525 with 4 Interchangeable trimming heads. Kit contains the foll...
Joe Grooming Dopp Kit

Joe Grooming Dopp Kit

Joe Grooming Dopp Kit has all your favorite JOE products in convenient sizes to travel anywhere your busy life takes you!
Folica.com