Mighty Putty

Epinions Product Rating: OK

As Seen on TV Mighty Putty....Does It Work?

Jun 25, 2009 (Updated Jun 26, 2009)

Pros:worked with some smaller repairs

Cons:only one glove, stinks badly, doesn't hold weight or repair some advertised things

The Bottom Line:

Mighty Putty, while it did fix some things I used it for, did not deliver as advertised on the TV commercial or the package's claims.

As these As Seen on TV products start to trickle down into the discount stores (Dollar General, for one) where the prices aren't too much too worry about (if they don't work), or are seen on websites like Amazon where you can usually catch a deal, I find myself succumbing more and more to them, especially if they are recommended to me by a friend or family member who raves on them. Being a "handy-person", the Mighty Putty advertisements on TV did seem to sing to me and had me curious if they worked better than other epoxies out there. Instead of waiting for the months long processing and shipping by ordering off of the Mighty Putty website (where now you can get 6 sticks for about $30 with shipping fees), I found 3 for $10 on Amazon a couple months back and ordered that instead and received it in days.

Each 2 oz. stick of Mighty Putty comes in it's own plastic (capped) vial to keep it fresh and pliable (for up to 6 months). You will also receive a single glove and a sheet of instructions on how to use the product. Mighty Putty is supposed to work on both porous and non-porous surfaces and is "great for any project big or small". The commercial shows Billy Mays showing us how he uses Mighty Putty to repair a coffee mug, hang a shelf, and even pull a tractor trailer truck. This "miracle epoxy" is supposed to be able to support 350 pounds. There are already wonderful epoxies on the market suited for your particular need, but since this product claims to work for "almost any surface", I thought it would definitely be handy to have around.

Mighty Putty is pretty simple to use. First, you open the vial and slip out a stick of Mighty Putty. Then, you cut off a section with a knife (or scissors, which will seal off the ends when you cut) into whatever size you need for the job, and then knead the putty in your gloved hand until the color turns a milky white. Since it dries quickly after activation, you'll need to work quickly if you are planning to mold it into a certain shape or around edges.

The single glove included is just plain stingy, in my opinion. Like other epoxies, this one contains resins and amine and shouldn't be handled with the bare hands if you are sensitive. Kneading Mighty Putty isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world, not like they make it look on TV; it gets tougher to blend the more you work it. And so, I use another pair of gloves and just work it with two hands. Another glove would also come in handy when actually working with the putty when I needed to bend it into a certain shape; definitely a two-hand job. Another thing that should be noted about Mighty Putty is that it smells really strongly while it's being kneaded. It has a powerful chemical smell, but it also smells a bit like sewage. It is truly unpleasant so if using indoors, I would recommend opening windows. It took a good half hour after using the Mighty Putty before the smell has lessened and went away. Outdoors, the smell is still noticeable, but does not linger if the wind carries it away. Once it is dry, it doesn't smell at all, indoors or out.

I've used Mighty Putty in a variety of ways, with mixed results. The first thing I used it on was a broken ceramic figure my daughter accidentally knocked over. I had to reattach a wing to an angel, and both pieces were jagged and uneven. I cut off a very small piece (about 1/4 the size of a piece of bubble gum), kneaded it to activate it, and then stretched it over the jagged break on the body of the angel figure. I wet my fingertip in water to smooth it out (as instructed), and then attached the wing, holding it in place for several minutes. It stayed together, but I left it in it's resting spot for 24 hours (supposed to be completely set in 1 hour) to let it completely set. When I checked on it the next day, I picked it up and applied a little pressure to the wing, and it stayed put. So, it worked for this purpose, for me, even though this is an object that gets zero use and just sets there and looks pretty. It's been a few months and the wing still stands.

I also tried to hang a small shelf on a painted wall with the Mighty Putty. I cut off the sections I needed, kneaded it and applied it to the back of the shelf, then stuck the shelf to the wall. I held it for about 5 minutes, applying pressure the entire time. When I let it go, the shelf leaned in towards me a bit and then fell completely off the wall. It only weighed maybe 5 pounds, so according to the claims on the packaging, it should have held. It also took off the paint that was on my wall, so not only did I end up with a non-sticking shelf, I also had to repaint. But, I tried this one more time, holding it in place for a lot longer, and had the same result (with new pieces of putty).

I did use the Mighty Putty on the outside of my home with great results, though. There are several places on my (wood) porch that have bored holes (bees go in and out of them so I blame them, I tell ya), and I have been meaning to seal them for quite some time. They aren't very deep and it didn't take a lot of putty, but I packed it as tight as I could with Magic Putty, let it air dry, and then sanded it down the next day. It's not out where rain can get on it and I don't know how long it would last if that were the case, but, it's been a few months and the putty is still packed and hard with no cracks or threat of falling out.

Some other things the Mighty Putty fixed: very small leak on a pipe, broken cinder block (had to let set for 2 days, first time it didn't set), a wobbly leg on a child-size table, small nail holes in wall after moving paintings and pictures to other areas, and a hole in a PVC pipe after drilling it in the wrong spot. Things it did NOT fix for me were: a big leak in a pipe (did not work whatsoever), would not work as a handle to a coffee mug, would not put up a towel bar, basically would not work for anything that had weight such as a shelf on a bookcase, or a wobbly bar on a heavy coat rack.

Mighty Putty is good for smaller jobs, but it didn't really do anything for the larger quick-fix repairs I used it for. Because of that, I would never recommend actually buying it from the website itself where you will over-pay for a product that doesn't work as advertised. But, if you have smaller jobs (fixing a dent in the wall, tiny leak in pipe, etc) and want to try Mighty Putty, I would recommend buying it off of Amazon, or going to Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, or Target and the like where it costs much less. Mighty Putty was not a miracle epoxy for me and couldn't handle the job that others on the market can. But, it was good enough to have around when I needed to fix something small in a snap. I would give Mighty Putty a rating of 3 stars because it half-worked, but since it did not do half of the things it claims it can do, I will down rate one and leave it with 2 stars. Unless you only want it for filling in cracks and holes, or fixing rough edged broken ceramic, I would caution you against buying this product.

Mighty Putty 3-Pack

Product Information: Now you can repair any job big or small, thanks to Mighty Putty. Mighty Putty is great for anything from your smallest craft proj...
Mighty Putty 3 Pk Seal Glue Drywall Metal Concrete Tile Glass Wood Us Seller

Mighty Putty 3 Pk Seal Glue Drywall Metal Concrete Tile Glass Wood Us Seller

New MIGHTY PUTTY 3 PK SEAL GLUE DRYWALL METAL CONCRETE TILE GLASS WOOD US Seller Now you can repair any job big or small, thanks to Mighty Putty. Migh...

Mighty Putty 3-Pack

Product Details Fill it Mold it to anything Seals leaks Supports up to 350 pounds Product Description Now you can repair any job big or small, thanks ...

Mighty Putty 3-Pack

As Seen On Tv MIGHTYPUTTY Mighty Putty(TM) Powerfull Bonding Epoxy Sticks - 3 Pack (1 Each)

Product Features AS SEEN ON TV Mighty Putty(TM) Powerfull Bonding Epoxy Sticks - 3 Pack MIGHTYPUTTY Product Description Mighty Putty is the powerful n...
Sealed Saban's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Putty On The Brain Vhs Video

Sealed Saban's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Putty On The Brain Vhs Video

Lord Zedd is determined to be rid of the Power Rangers once and for all.