Milwaukee Electric Tool Milwaukee 5616 - 21 2 - 1/4 Max HP EVS BodyGrip Router Kit (45242032877) Reviews

Solid Workhorse

Mar 15, 2009

Pros:Smooth, powerful, solid, and easy to adjust. Dual collets.

Cons:Changing bits could be a bit easier.

The Bottom Line: A great choice fo anyone looking for a workhorse router - price-competitive with routers of poorer pedigree and performance, and the quality-competitive with routers that cost > $100 more.

I bought the Milwaukee 5616 router to use primarily as a fixture on my router table, and because I needed a router that included a 1/2" collet and was powerful enough to shape rails and styles for some oak cupboard doors I was planning to build.

The machine did not disappoint.  It plowed through 3/4" oak on a single pass without complaint.  It has an overall solid feel to it that suggests that it will last for many years to come.  (Right now, I've only had it a few months.)

It starts up slowly and smoothly, then speeds up, avoiding the jerk that some routers give on start-up.

Height adjustment is easy and smooth, either by reaching under the table or by using the provided wrench which allows adjustment through the top of the router table.

The included 1/2" and 1/4" collets allow me to make use of all my router bits on a single machine, and changing collets is as easy as it can get.  The collets grip the bits tightly.

Changing bits is slightly more awkward; I have to pop the router out of the table to change bits (partly due to obstructions on my table, admittedly), and even then, the range of motion for the wrenches is somewhat limited, and I wish that the flat top of the router were a bit larger to make it a bit more stable while changing bits.

Still, I have to commend Milwaukee on the collet wrenches that they include, beefy numbers with smoothed edges, not the usual stamped metal fare that cut into the palms.

In short, I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a solid, powerful workhorse router.  The price makes it competitive with routers with poorer pedigrees and performance, and the quality makes it competitive with routers that cost > $100 more.

Milwaukee Electric Power Tool Motor Remote Module Assembly 14-20-0405

Milwaukee Electric Power Tool Motor Remote Module Assembly 14-20-0405

detroit_paint Store OEM NEW MILWAUKEE Electric Power Tool Motor Remote Module Assembly 14-20-0405 MILWAUKEE ELECTRIC TOOL REMOTE MODULE ELECTRONIC ASS...

Milwaukee Electric Power Tool Motor Clutch Shaft Spindle 2pc Lot 36-14-0662

Milwaukee Electric Power Tool Motor Clutch Shaft Spindle 2pc Lot 36-14-0662

detroit_paint Store MILWAUKEE Electric Power Tool Motor Clutch Shaft Spindle 2pc Lot 36-14-0662 MILWAUKEE ELECTRIC TOOL CLUTCH SHAFT 2 PIECE SET! NEW ...

Milwaukee M12 Cordless 3/8 Inch Ratchet - Tool Only, 12 Volt, Model 2457-20

Milwaukee M12 Cordless 3/8 Inch Ratchet - Tool Only, 12 Volt, Model 2457-20

The Milwaukee M12 Cordless 3/8in. Lithium-Ion Ratchet is the most compact and powerful ratchet in its class. At only 10 3/4in. long and 1.9 lbs., this...
Northern Tool

Milwaukee electric tools 1/2in Compact Drills

Milwaukee electric tools 1/2in Compact Drills

Milwaukee electric tools SEPTLS495166320 Hi-tech electronic switching and speed control components. Current fluctuation reduces speed fluctuation when...
Shoplet.com

Milwaukee 2473-22 M12 Press Tool Kit

Milwaukee 2473-22 M12 Press Tool Kit

Includes: M12 FORCE LOGIC Press Tool Kit (2473-20) Two M12 REDLITHIUM Battery (48-11-2401) M12 Lithium-ion Battery Charger (48-59-2401)
Coastaltool

Milwaukee 2457-20 M12 3/8 in. Cordless Lithium-Ion Ratchet (Bare Tool)

Milwaukee 2457-20 M12 3/8 in. Cordless Lithium-Ion Ratchet (Bare Tool)

M12 3/8-in Cordless Lithium-Ion Ratchet (Bare Tool) - 2457-20. 3/8-in to 1/4-in Adapter. Bare Tool - Battery and Charger Sold Separately
Tyler Tool