Minute Tapioca, 8 Oz Reviews

Minute Tapioca, 8 Oz

Kraft Minute Tapioca The best tapioca you can get!

Jan 3, 2008 (Updated Jan 3, 2008)

Pros:Relatively easy to make. Taste and smell are both wonderful!

Cons:20 minute cool down period, but you can eat it warm (ahhh relief)

The Bottom Line: Spend a couple of minutes making this stuff instead of buying pre-made or instant stuff. This is the best!

BACKGROUND
Kraft Minute Tapioca has been around for many years, in fact the box really has not changed much, if at all, over the years. Over 20 years ago I found out this was (and still is) my favorite pudding when I first tried it.

If your thinking: “I’ve had tapioca, it’s ok”
I respond: “Have you made Kraft Tapioca Pudding?”

The tapioca you may have tried in a tub, at a deli, or even quick JELLO brand is not even close to this stuff. Light years difference between those and making the Kraft Minute Brand Tapioca.

Just because the word “Minute” is in the title of the product, does not mean you mix some cold ingredients and promptly eat it. This tapioca pudding is easy to make, but not that easy.

Before I get into more analysis of this product, have you ever thought “What is tapioca anyway?”
Tapioca is considered a starch from the cassava plant. A little research into this topic shows it’s commonly used as a food thickening agent also.

OPINION
Tapioca may be an acquired taste to some but I think it’s safe to say that if you like vanilla flavored pudding, you’ll probably like tapioca pudding.

I find Kraft Tapioca to be the absolute best kind of tapioca. It consists primarily of whole ingredients only, no weird chemical/preservative names you can’t pronounce like the stuff they sell in a butter sized tub at the supermarket. You could not give that stuff away to me for free, I would absolutely refuse.

Taste is bland but very appealing. Believe it or not tapioca has little to no taste, it’s the rest of the ingredients which provide more taste. Vanilla is noticeable and sugar is also, but neither are too much. Pudding smell is wonderful!

THE BOX
Box is 8 ounces
The box contains two ingredients: Precooked Tapioca and Soy Lecithin – that’s it!
Statement on product: “Shake box before using”
- Nutritional facts are as follows: Serving Size 1.5 tablespoons (6grams)
- 20 calories, Fat 0 grams, Sodium 0 grams, Total Carbs: 5 grams, Protein 0 grams
Servings per container: About 38
Expiration date is printed with black text on the top flap of the box, in the following format: “ 25 JAN 2010 ”

Beside standard stove top cooking directions on box, there is also instructions on how to:
Make Fluffy style tapioca cream.
Make Apple, Blueberry, or Strawberry-Rhubarb fruit pies.

Contact information:
Kraft Foods North America
Division of Kraft Foods Global Inc.
Tarrytown, NY 10591
1-800-431-1001

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS with my side notes italicized
The only required ingredients to make one pot of tapioca are:
1/3 cup of sugar, 3 tablespoons of tapioca, 2 and cups of milk, 1 well beaten egg, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Total cooking time from start to finish per my experience is approximately 10 minutes.
Cooking instructions:
1) Mix Sugar, Tapioca, Milk, and Egg in medium saucepan.
2) Let ingredients sit for 5 minutes.
I always skip the 5 minute sitting, it’s never made a difference that I can tell. Also, make darn sure that egg is very well beaten prior to mixing with the rest of the ingredients, else you will have large strands of egg in your pudding. If you goof that part up send it to me, I’ll eat it anyway. HA HA! Seriously I will.
3) On medium heat stir constantly until mixture comes to a full boil.
Yeah whatever, I put the burner on full blast and stir occasionally. When boiling is just starting, the tapioca mix will start to rise slowly. I immediately turn the boiler to lowest setting and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. This method will save time and work perfectly.
4) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
5) Let cool 20 minutes. Serve warm or chilled
I say throw the stuff in the fridge and try to wait for it to fully cool before gobbling the entire serving up!

Pudding consistency will be soupy like upon turning the burner off. This is perfectly normal because pudding thickens as it cools. I recommend stirring once or maybe twice during the cooling process to ensure of no thin spots to final consistency.

If you love sugar or like only a very small amount, add or decrease to taste. I put slightly less than the suggested amount of 1/3 cup, this perfectly suits me.

FINAL NOTES
Cooking method prepares healthy sized servings for two people. If you are cooking it for 3-4 people double the ingredients.

I know the product name is Minute Tapioca, you do have to break out a pot and get to cooking in order to make it, but 10 or so minutes is worth it! Take that instant stuff or prepackaged unhealthy chemicalized stuff and toss it in the rubbish. You don’t know what your missing if you never made Kraft Minute Tapioca!

THIS PRODUCT IS NOT FOR CONSUMPTION!It is strictly for antiquarian and Ephemera collector purpose only. It must be from the 1980's, as it allows micro...