Minwax Polycrylic

Minwax Polycrylic Clear Finish

Dec 29, 2011

Pros:End result was really nice, easy to use, low odor, fast drying

Cons:The product was defective and spewed out tiny white specs with the finish

The Bottom Line: Harder to work with and required some time and patience, but the end result was a gorgeous table!

My husband and I recently restored a small living room table.  It has two shelves and the bottom shelf had become worn and the finish was chipping off.  Two of the four legs had become scuffed over the years.  When we sanded it down we were amazed that the table was actually made of real hard wood.

I stained it with a dark stain that matched the finish of the rest of the table, then I painted on a clear urethane finish.  That didn't work very well, the urethane dried with raised bumps all over it, so my husband sanded the table a second time.

We purchased a spray can of Minwax Polycrylic Clear Semi-Gloss Protective Finish at our local Home Depot store, which retailed for $11.35.  It had everything I was looking for in a finish.  It claimed to be fast drying, non-flammable, low in odor, and it can be cleaned up with plain water.

The first step was to shake the can vigorously for two minutes, during which time I heard a metal ball banging around inside.  After getting the cap off by squeezing the two sides while pulling (which was not easy), I sprayed the shelf and legs of our table with even strokes, holding the can about 12" away as recommended.

I was using this in a heated room, so the temperature of the room was adequate.  I was so disappointed when the can spewed out tiny white strands and specs, which then stuck to the table.  I thought maybe I hadn't shaken it long enough, so I shook it for another two minutes and tried again.  I got the same results.  I ended up using a small paint brush to pick the specs off my table, then smoothed the surface with another brush.  This worked okay, but was much more work than it was supposed to be.

True to claims, the brush cleaned up very easily and quickly using tap water!  And also true to claims, the product had a very low odor, which was a nice change from the urethane we had previously used.

This product did dry in less than two hours, and I applied a second coat.  I had the same problem with the second coat as I did the first.  In the end, the results were beautiful, with a nice semi-gloss finish that matched the rest of the table.

I took the product back to the Home Depot store and spoke with them about the problem I had.  A 20-something employee didn't take my word for it and she wanted to try the product for herself.  She had a harder time getting the cap off of the can (which made me feel good as I thought it was a lack of hand strength on my part).

She then sprayed the contents into the side of a garbage can (which was lined with a plastic garbage bag), and she could see for herself what I was talking about.  She said the product should not do that, marked it defective, and refunded my money.  I really wanted to keep the can because I am going to be refinishing other wood projects around our home, and I really liked the end result.

I have mixed feelings about this product.  It did do a nice job, but it was a pain to work with due to the white specs that spewed out of the can.  I am wondering if maybe the product was with a batch of items that froze on the way to Alaska, and I am considering buying another can from a different store.

If I have better results the next time I use this, I will update this review, but for now I have to rate it 3 stars based on my experience so far.

~~Thanks to Dawn for adding this to the database for me!~~

Minwax 2 Polycrylic Brush - Finishing > Applicators > Brushes

Minwax 2 Polycrylic Brush - Finishing > Applicators > Brushes

About Us Shipping Returns Contact Us FAQ's Click to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. Minwax 2 Polycrylic Brush - Finishing Ap...

Minwax 2-1/2 Polycrylic Brush - Finishing > Applicators > Brushes

Minwax 2-1/2 Polycrylic Brush - Finishing > Applicators > Brushes

About Us Shipping Returns Contact Us FAQ's Click to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. Minwax 2-1/2 Polycrylic Brush - Finishin...

Minwax 42732 Polycrylic Stain & Finish Brush, 2

Minwax 42732 Polycrylic Stain & Finish Brush, 2

Minwax Polycrylic Brush Synthetic bristle brush specifically designed for application of water-based stains and finishing products. Natural and synthe...

Minwax 1-Quart Polycrylic Semi-Gloss Polyurethane 64444444

Minwax 1-Quart Polycrylic Semi-Gloss Polyurethane 64444444

Dries crystal clear so as to not change the color of the surface it is applied to. Water-based formula produces low odor and allows for easy soap and...
Lowe's

Minwax 33333 Water-based Polycrylic Clear Satin Spray 11.5-ounce Aerosol

Minwax 33333 Water-based Polycrylic Clear Satin Spray 11.5-ounce Aerosol

NEW Minwax 33333 Water-Based Polycrylic Clear Satin Spray 11.5-Ounce Aerosol $15.38 $20.95 A hard crystal clear, ultra fast-drying protective finish. ...