The Scotts Company Miracle-Gro All-Purpose Plant Food (1001501) Reviews

The Scotts Company Miracle-Gro All-Purpose Plant Food (1001501)

Miracle-Gro« Has Made Me a Believer

Jul 15, 2004

Pros:Effective plant food that helps to nourish my garden

Cons:Nothing yet

The Bottom Line: I now love to garden and Miracle-Gro« has helped to boost my confidence.

For the longest time, I thought that I had a black thumb (if that’s the right term) when it came to gardening. It always seemed (at least from my perspective) that anything I tried to grow would just die. Well, with a little encouragement from my fiancÚ who loves to garden, I started to think differently.

We started small – we started with a few houseplants and I would water them everyday and as I got comfortable with them, I would start talking to the plants. Over time, I noticed our houseplants were doing very well and I slowly began to turn around. But I still had the doubts in the back of my mind. This was just a phase and it would pass.

By the time spring rolled around, we were determined to have a garden. My fiancÚ wanted one for our house and convinced me that if I could handle our few houseplants that I would be amazed with what I could accomplish with a garden.

This is where Miracle-Gro« Multi-Purpose Plant Food enters the picture.

In April, we purchased a small 1.5lb (680g) box of the plant food and after reading the directions, I thought to myself this seemed fairly easy. Maybe there is hope for me after all.

What Comes In the Box

The Miracle-Gro« box is very distinguishable with its green and yellow colors and the Miracle-Gro« encased in a black-filled circle. It has a neon effect to it, almost as if it draws a customer toward it. It's quite genius, if you ask me. On the bottom right are images of fully bloomed flowers, fresh vegetables and they all look to be in the best of conditions; you could almost eat them off the box. In this 1.5lb box, you get a bag of plant food and a little green scooping spoon. The small green spoon has two scoops – one side measures ╝ teaspoon (1.25ml), the other side measures 1 tablespoon (15ml). Both the scoop and the plant food are enclosed in a plastic bag and the bag requires no scissors. You pull it apart as if you were opening a bag of potato chips.

Directions for Use

This is taken from the box and I try to follow these directions to the letter:

Houseplants:
Mix Miracle-Gro« according to desired frequency:
Every watering – mix 1.25ml per 4L of water (╝ teaspoon per gallon)
Every 2 weeks – mix 15ml per 4L of water (1 teaspoon per gallon)
Soak soil through to roots. Not recommended for foliar (leaf) feeding of houseplants.

Outdoor Plants:
Mix 15ml per 4L of water (1 tablespoon per gallon)
Wet the leaves with Miracle-Gro«, then soak the soil to feed the roots
For "Miracle-garden" results, use Miracle-Gro« every 7-14 days

Guaranteed Minimum Analysis

The following is the listing of what is included in the Miracle-Gro« plant food:

Total Nitrogen (N)................15%
Manganese (Mn)[Chelated][Actual]............0.05%
Molybdenum (Mo) [Actual].............0.0005%
Zinc (Zn)[Actual].............0.06%
EDTA [Chelating Agent][Minimum]..........1.14%

You can contact Miracle-Gro« at the following address:

Scott Canada, Ltd.
2000 Argentia Road
Plaza 5, Suite 101
Mississauga, ON L5N 2R7

For gardening tips and other questions, you can call 1-800-645-8166 or visit their website at www.miracle-gro.com. If for whatever reason, you are not happy with the product, you can send any unused portion to them and they will refund your money. However, this is limited to one per household.

My Experiences

First off, I want to talk about the plant food itself. It’s a light blue color, almost the color that you see in swimming pools. I love how it looks. It has a crystal-like look to it and the particles are a little bigger than table salt, if that makes any sense. When I mix the plant food with the water, I love to watch the solution and water mix. You get a really nice blue water and when I water my plants and garden, I love to see the blue water trickle from the watering can on to the plants.

I first started using Miracle-Gro« on our houseplants. Most of them were doing very well with just water, but I noticed after about a month of using Miracle-Gro« a change in my plants. We have an ivy plant that was already growing like crazy. After using the Miracle-Gro«, I noticed the leaves were healthier and stronger. It was an amazing sight for me.

We bought a rose plant in December and we were concerned it wouldn’t make it to the summer. Now, I’ve noticed more leaves have grown as well as more blooms on the rose. Oh my goodness, I was so excited to see this. It was as if I’m watching my babies grow and in a sense, these are my babies. I’ve watched some plants that were on the verge of death do a complete 180-degree turn. I sometimes have to sit back in amazement at how well our houseplants have done.

We put in a garden on June 4th and we decided to plant an herb garden. We bought lots of different herbs, including oregano, chives, basil, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (do you have Scarborough Fair in your head yet?). We bought tomato plants and some lettuce. We also bought some daisies, marigolds, celosia (the flower feels like fleece), and phlox (these haven't bloomed yet, but get stronger everyday).

We put in a pea fence and planted some peas on Father's Day. Right now, they are about 5" high and they seem to be growing by the minute. Within the first 10 days, they started sprouting and now, they seem to grow like vines. They've started to climb the fence and I'm excited to see what happens next.

I’d like to talk about some bulbs of green onions (scallions) that we planted. I was worried about the green onions because it was about 2 weeks and I had not seen any growth from the bulbs. Then one Wednesday morning, I checked the garden, and there were little sprouts of green stems. Each day after that, I noticed the stems getting bigger and bigger. Today, the green onions are overflowing in the garden. We took some out and I actually used one of them in my dinner. Another thing that I love was the aroma coming from my garden. The green onions are so potent and I love how my garden smells. Other smells that come from the garden include the mint, the parsley and all the other herbs. Oh what a feeling!!!

My gardening ritual consists of watering my plants with Miracle-Gro« every two weeks and water them every other day. So far, this ritual seems to be working for me.

The small box that I purchased in April lasted a little over 2 months and sometimes, a little goes a long way. I’ve followed the directions practically to the letter and I am simply amazed with the results. I find myself waking up early every morning just to look outside our porch and in our garden. It’s a feeling that is hard to describe and I’m very pleased.

I recently purchased a 5lb (2.27-kg) box at the end of June, and in this box, you get four bags of the plant food as well as the spoon. On this box, they provide watering and plant food tips for different vegetables, plants as well as your lawn.

Final Thoughts

It's been about 3 months since I made my first Miracle-Gro« purchase and a little over a month since we planted our garden and bought our plants. What an amazing transformation that has taken place before my eyes. Everything has been growing so quickly and the plants and flowers are so healthy and vibrant. I'm simply amazed. Miracle-Gro« works wonders and our garden is just an oasis of different greens and some great smells come from the garden as well. Our plants and flowers are strong, full of life, and they seem to bloom every day. I know I've repeated the phrase amazing about a million times, but I'm not sure what other word to use to describe the feeling. I'm simply amazed at how my garden has grown. I also never realized just how much I would enjoy gardening.

Has Miracle-Gro« made me a believer? Absolutely! I’ve seen a difference in my plants, flowers, and garden, and I am very proud of myself. I am capable of maintaining a garden and I’m not a plant killer. I called my mom recently and told her that we have a garden and she was totally shocked to hear this. For as long as I can remember, she has tried to get me into gardening. Of course she questioned me on my progress and even had the nerve to insinuate that I didn’t do any work. The nerve of that woman. But, after talking with me and hearing the excitement in my voice, she’s very proud of me and happy for us. I took some pictures recently of our garden and plants and I still have to step back and look at the handiwork. I know I keep saying that I’m proud of myself, but, you have to understand, for someone who believed she had no gardening abilities to help produce and create some things of beauty, it’s simply amazing.

I'm very happy with the results I've seen so far from Miracle-Gro«, and feel they have a great product in their plant food. Who knows what I can accomplish next?

Take care.

Miracle-Gro 1001501 All Purpose Liquid Plant Food Jug, 32-Ounce Features:Concentrate Simply mis with water for spectacular blooms and deep green folia...
Listing Payment Shipping Handling Returns Exchanges Store Contact Payment We want to ensure that all of our buyers are offered all the benefits that e...

Visit our Store Ask a question FREE SHIPPING Miracle-Gro 1001501 All Purpose Liquid Plant Food Jug, 32-Ounce Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! Item...
All Purpose Plant Food helps grow big, more beautiful plants...naturally. Ready-Spray system automatically applies plant food evenly at the correct ra...
Item Condition:NEW Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed - 1 Quart / 32 oz