The Scotts Company Miracle-Gro All-Purpose Plant Food (1001501) Reviews

The Scotts Company Miracle-Gro All-Purpose Plant Food (1001501)

+$79.00 shipping Lowe's

Miracle-Gro: A Product That Lives up to its Name

Aug 16, 2004

Pros:Makes plants grow like crazy

Cons:Makes weeds grow like crazy, too

The Bottom Line: Miracle-Gro makes plants grow and grow, but you need to avoid getting the liquid on certain unwanted plants.

Want to make flowers and plants grow like crazy? The people who make Miracle-Gro want to, and they have formulated this product to help accomplish exactly that goal: to help ordinary people, regardless of the greenness of their thumbs, to grow large, healthy plants. This product is manufactured by Scott’s, the same people who manufacture a wide range of lawn care fertilizers. Scott’s designed this all purpose plant food to help gardeners and occasional planters increase the size of their plants with minimal effort.

Where Can This Product be Used?:

Miracle-Gro is safe for any type of flower or vegetable; trees and shrubs; grass; and house plants. Basically, anything that needs to be watered and that could use a boost in its rate of growth is safe for this product.

Application:

Miracle-Gro can be applied one of two ways: Using the Miracle-Gro Garden Feeder or by using an ordinary watering can. The one you choose depends on the size of the area you wish to cover. Large gardens are best covered using the Miracle-Gro Feeder. This feeder can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, and other stores that carry Miracle-Gro. The device features a container that holds the mixture of Miracle-Gro and a plastic piece on top where you connect a garden hose. To prepare the mixture, you use one pre- measured packet from your box of Miracle-Gro. Each packet contains about 1.25 pounds (560 grams) of blue- colored crystals. Just add it to the container, twist the top in place, attached the hose, and you are ready to fertilize. Each packet is good for 500 square feet (47 square meters) of coverage.

For smaller applications, the watering can method is preferred. Just measure one tablespoon (15 ml) of Miracle-Gro using the enclosed measuring spoon (included in larger boxes) and mix with one gallon (3.78 liters) of water.

Whether you use the Miracle-Gro Garden Feeder or a watering can, you should apply the same way, making sure to coat the entire plant from top to bottom, soaking the leaves completely and then concentrating the remaining water/plant food mixture on the soil itself, to soak the roots.

Ingredients in This Product:
Miracle-Gro is made with ammonium phosphate, urea, potassium chloride, boric acid, copper sulfate, iron EDTA, magnesium EDTA, urea phosphate, zinc sulfate, and sodium molybdate. The percentage breakdown is as follows: Total Nitrogen: 15% (9.2% urea nitrogen and 5.8% ammonium nitrogen); Available phosphate: 30%; Boron: .02%; Soluble Potash: 15%; Copper: .07%; Iron: .15%; Manganese: .05%; Molybdenum: .00005%; and Zinc: .06%.

Customer Service:

If you have questions about this product, you can find answers by visiting the web site or by calling the toll- free hotline. The web site is miracle-gro.com and the toll- free number is 800-645-8166.

Final Thoughts:

I don’t like to do much outside my house when it comes to plants, but I also know that keeping my landscaping in presentable form does carry certain advantages. I have quite a few trees in my yard, along with several large shrubs and many flowers. Most of the time, I rely on rainfall to take care of my watering needs and the nutrition provided by the soil to make my plants and flowers healthy. But on some occasions, I have found that my plants and flowers needed that additional boost to get them growing at the level I expect and need for a healthy appearance. This is when I discovered the benefits of Miracle-Gro all purpose plant food.

Miracle-Gro is a product that works- I mean really works. I have added this product to flowers and watched them bloom and expand at a much faster pace than with water alone. I have done the same thing with some of my smaller shrubs. It’s amazing what a good dousing with Miracle-Gro can do for plants and flowers. I’m almost afraid to use it on some things- like larger shrubs and some trees- because I’m worried that the additional growth will lead to the need for additional trimming and pruning.

Miracle-Gro is recommended for many things and it makes a noticeable difference. One thing that I use this product for is when I transplant. I don’t plant anything from seeds- everything I add to my yard is already pre- grown and waiting to be purchased at Home Depot or a similar store. Transplanting always worries me a little, because I have to trust that the soil in the area I wish to transplant is going to be rich enough to make the plant or flower grow to its full potential. I have had some plants that didn’t survive the transplanting process, even though I followed the directions and even added some potting soil to help provide nutrition. In some cases, my plants and flowers would die anyway. But with Miracle-Gro, I have not had this problem. The added nutrition from Miracle-Gro is enough to ensure that the transplanted flowers and plants are able to adapt to my soil. And the added nutrients help to replenish what is missing from the soil, for added benefits further on down the road.

Miracle-Gro is easy to apply and it takes almost no effort at all. I use a watering can and all I have to do is fill it with water and then add one tablespoon of the plant food. It dissolves almost instantly, without any mixing- like adding a small amount of salt to a large amount of water. Once the liquid is ready, I just pour it over my flowers and plants. Miracle-Gro recommends applying every seven to fourteen days, to keep plants as healthy and happy as possible.

Before you get crazy and start dumping Miracle-Gro all over your property, there are some things that need to be pointed out. First of all, you need to remember that Miracle-Gro is going to help any plant grow that it comes in contact with. That includes, of course, weeds and other unwanted foliage. Because of this, you need to be careful about where and how you apply. For those who use a watering can, this isn’t a big deal- you just pour the mixture on the areas you want to encourage growth and avoid the rest. But for those who use the Miracle-Gro Garden Feeder, you need to be more careful and make sure you have eliminated the weeds and other unwanted plants first, before you apply. If you don’t, you will end up with a bumper crop of crabgrass, foxtail, and other unwanted weeds; their growth spurred by the nutrients in Miracle-Gro.

Another area where I recommend exercising caution is with lawns. Miracle-Gro recommends using this product on your grass to spruce up its thickness and greenness. Unless you really appreciate the attractiveness of a lush, green yard, then I think you should resist the temptation to do this. Besides the added greenness and lushness, you will also have added growth which will lead to added work in the form of mowing. I hate mowing grass, so I avoid allowing Miracle-Gro to come within any reasonable distance of my yard. Flowers and plants are the only living things on my property which are permitted to feel the effects of Miracle-Gro.

Overall, Miracle-Gro is an excellent product that lives up to its name. Consumers need to be careful not to overuse, because excessive fertilizer can burn your plants. But as long as you use it within the stated guidelines, it will perform its job perfectly. There are several sizes to meet your needs, ranging from 8 oz. (226 grams) to 15 pounds (6.78 KG). The price is reasonable, too. I purchased a five- pound (2.26 KG) box for about $14. And since I use only a tablespoon at a time, I will likely be using this box for quite a while- perhaps for the entire summer season or longer.

Miracle-Gro is one plant care product that really does perform as promised. It helps flowers, vegetables, shrubs, grass, and other plants grow very quickly, adding a healthy look to your landscaping. I recommend it for all your growing needs. Just a little dab and your plants will knock you over with their quick, accelerated growth.

Concentrate- simply mix with water for spectacular blooms and deep green foliage. Instantly gives plants the nutrients they need to flourish. For all ...
Lowe's

Listing Payment Shipping Handling Returns Exchanges Store Contact Payment We want to ensure that all of our buyers are offered all the benefits that e...
Miracle-Gro 1001501 All Purpose Liquid Plant Food Jug, 32-Ounce Features:Concentrate Simply mis with water for spectacular blooms and deep green folia...
All Purpose Plant Food helps grow big, more beautiful plants...naturally. Ready-Spray system automatically applies plant food evenly at the correct ra...
Help?Policies FAQs Contact