Mobil 1 Extended Performance Motor Oil 5W 30 (071924449763)

Mobil 1 Extended Performance - Still the best synthetic oil?

Jan 17, 2010 (Updated Jan 31, 2010)

Pros:Works great

Cons:Price

The Bottom Line:  A great full-synthetic motor oil for those who need superior engine protection.

Having used Mobil 1's original Supersyn full-synthetic motor oil in a number of vehicles without ever having any major engine problems, I did have some reservations about switching over to Mobil 1's Extended Performance formula- why mess with a good thing? However, after finding Mobil 1's supposedly more advanced Extended Performance formula on sale for less than the original Mobil 1 Supersyn , I decided to give it a shot. I have currently been using this product for approximately 150,000 miles of driving and have used it in two vehicles. Is Mobil 1 Extended Formula better than the original?

About Mobil 1 Extended Performance Formula:

Like the original Supersyn, Mobil 1 Extended Performance is a full synthetic motor oil that can be used in virtually any type of on-road/off-road vehicle (including motorcycles) that call for conventional motor oil. According to Mobil 1, the Extended Performance formula contains 50 percent more Supersyn (Supersyn is Mobil 1's proprietary blend of anti-wear agents) thus extending oil change intervals to 15,000 miles under normal driving conditions. What are normal driving conditions? According to Mobil 1, normal driving conditions exclude racing or commercial applications, frequent towing or hauling, extremely dusty or dirty conditions, and excessive idling.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets the following industry approvals:
*ILSAC GF-4
*ACEA A1/A5, B1/B5
*API SM
*Meets the requirements for diesel powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

Q&A:

Can I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in a new vehicle?
Yes. According to Mobil 1, using this oil in a new vehicle will not affect the so called "break in" period of a vehicle's motor.

Will I need a special oil filter?
No. According to Mobil 1, any quality filter will do. However, I use Mobil 1's Extended Performance filter that runs approximately $10 at most automotive retail stores.

Can I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in an old car with high mileage
? According to Mobil 1, their EP blend will not negatively affect older engines or make older seals leak .

Will Mobil 1 Extended Performance void my vehicle's warranty?
No. However, you will need to follow your manufacture's suggested oil change intervals if you want to keep your factory warranty.

Is Mobil 1 Extended Performance Guaranteed?
Yes. Mobil 1 guarantees its Extended Performance formula will protect your vehicle's critical engine parts from oil related failure for 15,000 miles or 1 year. If not, Mobil 1 will have your vehicle repaired at no cost.

My Experience:

I first began using Mobil 1 Extended Performance in an old 1996 Dodge Neon with over 100,000 miles on the odometer. My Neon had previously been operated exclusively with Mobil 1's original full-synthetic formula 5W-30. I currently use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my '04 Honda Civic that had previously been operated with a conventional motor oil. I will share my experience with Mobil 1 EP in both cars, separately.

My Experience With this Mobil 1's Extended Performance in the 1996 Dodge Neon:

Performance:

Compared to Mobil 1's original full-synthetic formula I didn't notice any significant improvements in engine performance during the first 7,500 miles of use with the EP blend. This isn't such a bad thing, however, because Mobil 1's original formula was already an excellent performing oil up to around 7,500 miles: making for a smooth running and good performing engine coupled with great fuel economy. Mobil 1's Extended Performance formula did provide noticeably better performance, however, after the 7,500 mile mark. With the original Mobil 1 Supersyn formula I would consistently notice a decrease in both performance and fuel economy if I neglected to have my Neon's oil changed after the 7,500 mile mark. With the new EP blend I could easily go 12,000 miles (or every 4 months) and still achieve peak performance with no noticeable decline in engine performance or fuel economy: suggesting that I could have likely gone the full 15,000 allowable miles of normal driving between oil changes.

Some Evidence?

At around the 170,000 mile mark, my Neon's timing belt snapped (unrelated to engine oil). I got lucky (considering the circumstances) and only had a few bent valves. According to my mechanic, my Neon's engine was the cleanest motor he had seen with aforementioned mileage and save for the bent valves, the engine was still in great shape- not needing a complete overhaul as he had forecasted due to the high mileage. With Dodge Neon's not exactly being known for their long-lasting motors, I do attribute Mobil 1's EP blend for the longevity of that motor. It also suggests that although I went an unheard of 12,000 miles between oil changes, Mobil 1 EP blend was still doing its job protecting vital engine components.

My Experience With this Mobil 1's Extended Performance in the 2004 Honda Civic EX:

Having had such good results with Mobil 1's EP blend in my Dodge Neon, I decided to also use this oil in my new (to me) '04 Civic that had around 40,000 miles and previously serviced with a conventional motor oil.
Performance: Although I didn't notice much an improvement in engine performance and behavior with the Dodge during the first 7500 miles of use with Mobil 1's EP blend, I noticed an immediate improvement when I switched from the conventional oil to Mobil 1's full-synthetic EP blend in my Civic. Though My Civic didn't feel any faster than it did with the conventional oil (a lot of companies like to tout that their synthetic oils make an engine more powerful) , switching to Mobil 1's EP blend certainly made for a smoother running engine, both at idle and at speed. It should be noted that, like the Neon, going as many as 12,000 miles between oil/filter changes did not negatively effect performance or fuel economy in my Civic.

Better gas mileage. When I first purchased my Civic I was getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 MPG in mixed high/city driving. This improved over the next 3 oil changes using Mobil 1's EP blend to a whopping 36-38 MPG in mixed city/highway. I had never heard of anyone achieving significant MPG gains by switching over to synthetic, so I am not convinced everyone will see such remarkable gains.

After 80,000 miles
. I have currently been using Mobil 1's EP blend in my Civic for about 80K miles (the car now has just a little over 120K miles) and it runs just as good, if not better, than it did when I first purchased it. The engine is smooth, gets excellent fuel economy, and doesn't use a drop of oil between those extended 8-12,000 mile oil change intervals.

Price & Availability:

Unlike some top quality full-synthetic oils. i.e. Formulae from Amsoil and Royal Purple , Mobil 1 Extended Performance can be purchased at just about any major auto-retailer and many major discount stores. i.e. Autozone, Walmart, etc. Prices for this oil range from 7.99-8.99 per quart (about $1 more than the original formula) or a 5 quart jug can be purchased at WalMart for around 30 bucks. Though Mobil 1 Extended Performance is quite expensive in comparison to conventional oils, when you consider the potential for extended oil change intervals and added engine protection, the price is well justified.

Overall.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is an excellent full-synthetic oil and a seemingly better formula than the already excellent original formula. Overall, Mobil 1 Extended Performance is perfect for those who don't particularly like changing their oil every 3,000 miles or for those who like to have a safety net between oil changes. I would recommend Mobil 1 EP blend to anyone considering switching from a conventional oil to a synthetic or even those considering switching from the original full-synthetic formula. I will continue using Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my Civic and will likely use it my next vehicle.

Thanks for reading!

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart (pack Of 6)

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart (pack Of 6)

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 Mobil 1™ Extended Performance 10W-30 is designed to keep your engine running like new and protect critical engin...

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter M1-102

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter M1-102

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter Part # M1-102 SKU # 9322503 Buy with Confidence from the Pep Boys eBay Store G...

Mobil 1 98ke65 Extended Performance 5w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle

Mobil 1 98ke65 Extended Performance 5w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle

The Lotoons Store NEW Mobil 1 98KE65 Extended Performance 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FO...

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter M1-210

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter M1-210

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter Part # M1-210 SKU # 9322589 Buy with Confidence from the Pep Boys eBay Store G...

Mobil 1 98hc59 Extended Performance 10w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle

Mobil 1 98hc59 Extended Performance 10w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle

The Lotoons Store NEW Mobil 1 98HC59 Extended Performance 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING F...

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter M1-101

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter M1-101

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, High Efficiency, High Capacity Oil Filter Part # M1-101 SKU # 9322491 Buy with Confidence from the Pep Boys eBay Store G...

Mobil 1 (120765-3PK) Extended Performance 5W-20 Motor Oil - 5 Quart, (Pack of 3)