Mondial Diaper Genie

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Not Just For Babies

Mar 9, 2004

Pros:space saving, easy to use, controls odors, refills are sold in many stores

Cons:refills are pricey, still have to wash pail out regularly

The Bottom Line: The Mondial Diaper Genie is great for babies and adults

I bought the Mondial Diaper Genie back in 1997 through a medical supply catalog. My mom and I read about all of its good features and thought it would be good for our small bathroom. Its been one of the best products we have bought since I became disabled.

The Diaper Genie is a space saving, white diaper pail, that uses scented liners to seal each diaper individually. The sealing of the diapers reduces odors, and also makes disposal easier. The pail is the perfect height for a wheelchair user too! The Diaper Genie holds about 12 large adult diapers or 15 large protective underwear. If you are using it for a baby, it holds about 20 baby diapers, according to the users manual. The Mondial Diaper Genie also has a wide opening, so diapers fit in easily (the older Mondial models do not have a wide opening).
The users manual that comes with the Diaper Genie is super easy to follow. They have illustrations for each step, so you won't make a mistake. This is especially important when you are replacing the liner refill.

To use the Diaper Genie, you wrap the diaper up tight, open the top lid, insert the diaper into the pail (it will catch on a grooved part in the pail), and twist the rotating twist ring 2-4 times. The diaper and the odor are now sealed in the liner.
To empty the pail, you open the top lid, turn the rotating twist ring 5 times clockwise, remove the cutter cap (its in the top lid) and place the cap inside the rotating twist ring. You then turn the cutter cap until all the film around it is cut completely. Then, push the foot pedal on the bottom of the pail and all the diapers will come out. To keep the top part that you just cut closed, you can tie a knot in it or use tape to keep it closed. Finally, you pull about 8 inches of the liner up from the pail and knot the end of it. Now, your Diaper Genie is ready to use again! You'll know when the pail needs to be emptied, because it will get harder to put a diaper all the way in.

Now, even though the diapers are sealed in the liners, the pail still has to be washed regularly, like any other diaper pail. I clean mine about once a week with dish soap and warm water. The directions also say to sanitize the pail with bleach and water regularly, but I only do this once a month. If you can't wash the pail often, spraying it with Lysol can help disenfect it. To cut down on the stool odor, always dump stools in the toilet before putting the diaper in the Diaper Genie.
As for how often you need to empty the pail, I empty mine about once a week (I use 3 diapers or protective underwear a day). If you have a newborn baby, you'd probably have to empty it every other day, especially if he or she is breastfed. For an incontinent adult or disabled child, it depends on how often you change diapers.

Diaper Genie refills come in Infant or Toddler styles. The only difference between these two is the toddler ones have more scent to them. The toddler one is about 1-2 more than the infant ones. I use the infant style refills, because they are cheaper and easier to find at grocery stores. Both styles can be found at most discount stores like Wal-Mart, Target, or Babies R Us.

In 1999, Mondial sold its Diaper Genie line to Playtex. You can still find the Mondial models at garage sales, thrift stores, Goodwill stores, and on Ebay for a super low price. I bought mine Mondial Diaper Genie 7 years ago for $30.00, and it still works great!

Overall, the Mondial Diaper Genie is a wonderful product and I'd recommend to anyone with a disability or a baby.

Genie Stones 1 Assorted-Gold Wrap 12/Pkg

PRIMA FLOWERS-Genie Stones. These colorful stones can be used on a variety of crafty projects. Use them when making jewelry or to embellish handmade c...

Prima Genie Stones Gold Wrap

Prima Marketing Jewel stones in varying colors. Each stone measures approximately 1 12 Stonesáper pack Powered by ProStores On Jun-28-14 at 17:53:59 P...

Prima Genie Stones Bright Mix

Prima Genie Stones Bright Mix

Unwrapped jewel stones in varying colors. Each stone measures approximately 1 24áStonesáper pack

Prima Genie Stones Vintage Mix